• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 🩺Muscle Gelz® HUMANOGEN® - Powered by Ibutamoren® Increases Growth Hormone! (Transdermal - No Injecting!)🏥

The Paleo Diet

I pretty much eat this diet. Ive heard of paleo, but never read anything about it until you linked it Although, I dont put as much emphasis on moderating fatty meat like chicken thighs or pork steaks. It's worked very well for me in the past and currently. I've dropped 33 lbs since I got serious about getting back on track on July 11th.

Ive mentioned this before, but carbs are my enemy. Even complex carbs. The only carbs I really take in are dietary fibers and sugar alcohols.

Paleo is the best thing you can ever do not just for your appearance but for your health. The American nutritional mainstream is what's causing the "obesity epidemic" and a laundry list of degenerative diseases plaguing the American public. It's insane that physicians actually suggest that diabetics who cannot properly respond to carbohydrates, consume a diet where 65% of their calories come from carbohydrates. Seriously? How ignorant can you be to follow idiotic advice like that?

I think there are some good parts to it, but some parts are ridiculous. I agree with everything the article says, and I only wish the author had written more. There's a lot of pseudoscience, and some real science to the diet. Do you need to cut out 100% of other carbs? NO. But will actually getting your diet together, eating less processed foods, eating more vegetables and protein instead of just eating anything give you results? Yes.

I think there are some good parts to it, but some parts are ridiculous. I agree with everything the article says, and I only wish the author had written more. There's a lot of pseudoscience, and some real science to the diet. Do you need to cut out 100% of other carbs? NO. But will actually getting your diet together, eating less processed foods, eating more vegetables and protein instead of just eating anything give you results? Yes.

I'd say 95% of everything everyone is saying about Paleo diets and ketogenic diets are based on factual evidence. Mary enig, Gary taubes, Robb wolf just to name a few have wonderful works. Plus I've read tons of journal articles supporting it. It's true, it's valid, and I've seen it work with my own eyes.

Newbie here, but I'm a fan of Paleo-like diets. I think the major benefits come from the absence of sugar and high-glycemic foods. For my B-day I got a book called "Paleo Comfort Foods" and it has some gooood recipes in there.

The benefits of that lifestyle are overwhelming. Enjoy Carnun!

I been on a Keto diet for only 4 days and dropped 7 pounds and feel much better. My trainer says I need to run this for 2 weeks then hes going to change it up. Got to cut some fat ha ha.......

I've been looking at paleo recently myself. I started adopting some of the ideas last week, but a few things seem ridiculous. For example- peanut butter. I could live off of skippy natural- and at only 3G of sugar I'm not sure how why it should be avoided. Is there a set number of macros that should be reached with this diet? I have to admit- I like the idea of adding bacon into a lot of recipes, but some of the foods that are excluded confuse me.

I've been looking at paleo recently myself. I started adopting some of the ideas last week, but a few things seem ridiculous. For example- peanut butter. I could live off of skippy natural- and at only 3G of sugar I'm not sure how why it should be avoided. Is there a set number of macros that should be reached with this diet? I have to admit- I like the idea of adding bacon into a lot of recipes, but some of the foods that are excluded confuse me.

There are many ridiculous things about it, which is why I posted what I did in the original post

Thanks for this complete article: here for the remaining readers i am just placing it here :
[h=1]The beef I have with The Paleo Diet[/h] Aug28 by Hird
I’ve heard a lot about “The Paleo Diet” lately and every time a popular news source (say NPR or ABC or Fox News or New York Times) does a piece, I cringe a little bit. For those of you who have never heard of the Paleo Diet (from Wikipedia):
The paleolithic diet…is a modern nutritional plan based on the presumed ancient diet of wild plants and animals that various hominid species habitually consumed during the Paleolithic era—a period of about 2.5 million years duration that ended around 10,000 years ago with the development of agriculture.
So that’s the basic idea – people restricting their diet to things that we ate before modern agriculture. I don’t really have a problem with the diet, per se – removing highly processed foods and increasing your activity level is a good idea for almost anyone. But the rationale that always accompanies the diet – that’s where the cringe comes in.
caveman-300x300.gif

The rationale goes like this (again from Wikipedia):
Paleolithic nutrition is based on the premise that modern humans are genetically adapted to the diet of their Paleolithic ancestors and that human genetics have scarcely changed since the dawn of agriculture, and therefore that an ideal diet for human health and well-being is one that resembles this ancestral diet.
I can break this rationale down into three assumptions/statements:
1. Evolution acts to optimize health.
2. Evolution adapted us to eat a specific diet.
3. Therefore, today, we should eat that diet to optimize our health.
As an evolutionary biologist, I think there are logical and scientific flaws to each of these statements.
1. Evolution acts to optimize health.
FALSE. Evolution acts to optimize fitness (the scientific term for how many babies you leave behind), not health (how physically fit and free from disease we are). The line that connects the modern idea of individual health and evolutionary fitness is not necessarily a straight one. For example, many of the “diseases of affluence” that the Paleo Diet aims to alleviate (obesity, heart disease and adult-onset diabetes) have not been shown to actually and negatively affect human fitness. In fact, there is even some correlational evidence that people we might currently describe as “less healthy” have more children and therefore might have higher fitness. Evolution doesn’t really care about health past the point where you’re healthy enough to make a baby. And if our goal is to achieve a modern ideal of health, recreating the conditions to which our ancestors were putatively adapted may not help us get there.
2. Evolution adapted us to eat a specific diet.
TRUISM/FALSE. The truism here is that evolution has adapted us to our diet. All living things are the product of evolution; Homo sapiens has evolved to be an omnivore. The Paleo Diet makes a far more specific claim, though: that there is a single, specific diet to which we adapted in the past and that we have not since evolved. First, this assumes that all Paleolithic humans ate the same things in approximately the same proportions. This cannot be correct. Even on small geographic scales, the relative quantities of meat, fish, and vegetable matter available for human consumption change drastically. If I had to hunt/gather on the Louisiana coast for my dinner it would look totally different than if I were doing the same in northern Louisiana. Not to mention that one place would differ on a month-to-month basis. Seasonality and geography dictate what would be available to eat, not our evolution.
Second, this assumes that no evolution has occurred since the advent of agriculture. This is demonstrably false. One example of post-agricultural evolution is the human lactase gene, which breaks down lactose, the dominant sugar in milk. In ancestral humans this gene was turned off after infancy; those humans would have been “lactose-intolerant”. Most humans of European descent now have a mutation that keeps that gene turned on their entire lives. Not surprisingly, this gene spread throughout Europe at approximately the same time cattle were domesticated. There are other known examples of agricultural dietary adaptation, and doubtless more to be discovered. If we are going to use evolution to justify our dietary choices, why throw out the last 10,000 years of it?
3. Therefore, today, we should eat that diet to optimize our health.
HMMMM. Omnivory probably does optimize our health – I think a lot dieticians would recommend eating a variety of fruits, vegetables, grains and meat for an ideal diet. But the Paleo Diet has restrictions on which foods you can eat based on when they were introduced to the human diet AND what we know about them based on modern science (list of Paleo foods here & new link not requiring password here). For example, lean meats good, fatty meats bad. Paleolithic humans probably ate fatty meats every chance they got, don’t you think? Good fat was probably hard to come by in some places. We just think of fatty meat as “bad” because of cholesterol and whatnot – I’d go so far as to say evolution has trained us to love fatty meats, isn’t that why bacon tastes so good?
images
42_43e9fe72926526557c320ce95a8819fe-617x409.jpg
Here’s the other thing: basically anything you buy in a store probably wasn’t around a million years ago, regardless of how close it seems to being “natural”. Humans might have eaten wild pigs, but modern pigs are a different beast altogether. The same goes for apples or carrots or organic blueberries. Oddly enough, diet soda makes the “Foods to be eaten in moderation” category but “Dairy” is to be avoided entirely. What evolutionary sense does that make?
In summary, humans are certainly a product of their evolutionary history, but ALL of it, not a restricted subset of it. That history can give us great insight into why we are the way we are, and it might be a great way to generate hypotheses about which foods we should eat and in which proportions in order to be healthy. There is, however, a lot of uncertainty about what ancient humans actually ate, and whether that food made them healthy. Furthermore, evolutionary reasoning may explain what things we observe today, but it cannot be used to tell us what we ought to do. That is the realm of modern scientific evidence, not evolutionary first principles.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I believe someone mentioned bacon?
PS – Noah Reid contributed greatly to this post.
PPS - The wikipedia page for the Paleo Diet has a lot of information with a bunch of citations to primary literature on many aspects of the diet; check it out if you’re interested in what the experts have to say.

As an evolutionary biologist, I wonder how he explains the subsequent rise in GI related diseases that have increased progressively as technology advances. I.E. IBD, IBS, colitis, celiac etc? The lactose gene was a really poor example as well. If we evolved so efficiently after introduction of dairy products, why is lactose intolerance still a major culprit in a variety of GI related issues today?

Lactose tolerance has only arisen recently (since animal husbandry, roughly 10,000 yrs) and only in a few places: east Africa (think Maasai, Dinka, etc), northern Europe (Germanics in particular) and the Middle East. These genes haven't spread that far. The majority of the world's population still has trouble with it.

Dunno where I'd be without these genes -- I drink half a gallon of milk daily, plenty of cheese, yogurt, ice cream... makes it a ton easier to hit our weightlifting protein targets.

GSRacer is sure to rip into me for linking more wiki science here (is that like bro science?) but this ethno-lactose-intolerance chart is pretty cool: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactase_persistence

Couldn't help but notice that the Dutch are not only the most lactose tolerant people on the planet, but also the tallest. Coincidence? I think not.

Ah, wikipedia isn't as bad as it used to be. But still, I think a cartoon will suffice

emuhy4ur.jpg

Lactose tolerance has only arisen recently (since animal husbandry, roughly 10,000 yrs) and only in a few places: east Africa (think Maasai, Dinka, etc), northern Europe (Germanics in particular) and the Middle East. These genes haven't spread that far. The majority of the world's population still has trouble with it.
Which is precisely why it is a poor example.

Get Shredded!
For any one interested in this diet, go pick up Robb Wolf's book "Paleo Solution". Or you can just read it here: http://whitmatthews.com/TPS.pdf

Edit: to increase the font size, hold the control key (ctrl) and scroll up or down with your mouse.

Back