• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

PPL Routine Help

MarineMan

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I’m looking for some advice on a PPLPPL routine that will maintain strength while aiding with muscle growth. I’m currently 5’8 and 206 at around 18% bodyfat. If I were to pick one lagging muscle group I’d say it’s my chest. I am unable to do barbell squats or deadlifts to having a fused C-4,C-5, and C-6.
For Macros was thing 1850 with a goal of 231 grams protein, 93 net carbs, and 62 grams fat.

I was thinking of something along these lines:

Push 1Pull 1Legs
Barbell Bench Press4x6(AMRAP)T bar Row4x6(AMRAP)Leg Press4x10 (AMRAP)
Barbell Incline Press4x6(AMRAP)Seated Row4x6(AMRAP)Hack Squat4x10 (AMRAP)
Cable Cross Overs4x6(AMRAP)Lat Pull Down4x6(AMRAP)Leg Extension4x10 (AMRAP)
Seated DB Press4x6(AMRAP)Barbell Shrugs4x6(AMRAP)Leg Curl4x10 (AMRAP)
Skull Crushers4x6(AMRAP)Barbell Curl4x6(AMRAP)Calf Raises3x15(AMRAP)
Rope Press Down3x8(AMRAP)Rope Curls3x8(AMRAP)Ab Wheel4x
Push 2Pull 2Legs/Abs/Misc
DB Bench Press4x12 (AMRAP)Pull Ups4x12 (AMRAP)Goblet Squats3x8
DB Incline Press4x12 (AMRAP)Single Arm Lat Pull Down4x12 (AMRAP)Farmers Carry4x
Machine Flyes4x12 (AMRAP)DB Row4x12 (AMRAP)Back Extensions3x10
Standing OH Press4x12 (AMRAP)Seated Wide Row4x12 (AMRAP)Dips3x8
Lateral Raises4x12 (AMRAP)DB Curls4x12 (AMRAP)Sit-Ups4x
V Bar Press Down4x12 (AMRAP)Cable Curls4x12 (AMRAP)Ab Wheel4x
Reverse Press Down4x12 (AMRAP)Preacher Curls4x12 (AMRAP)

I am probably not the best person to give advice on this but as for not being able to do squats or deadlifts I understand that pain because I had foot surgery and now I have balance issues but if your gym has any leg machines hit them and hit them hard

I always push myself to hard with PPL and am not fully recovered for 2nd push day.

push id probably do one of the dumbell and barbell presses on each day. and triceps id trade an iso for a compound. and youve gotta have at least 1 overhead tricep movement in there somewhere

and overall cut volume down to 2-3 sets per movement, some as rest pause. not a bad routine though

I’m looking for some advice on a PPLPPL routine that will maintain strength while aiding with muscle growth. I’m currently 5’8 and 206 at around 18% bodyfat. If I were to pick one lagging muscle group I’d say it’s my chest. I am unable to do barbell squats or deadlifts to having a fused C-4,C-5, and C-6.
For Macros was thing 1850 with a goal of 231 grams protein, 93 net carbs, and 62 grams fat.

I was thinking of something along these lines:

Push 1Pull 1Legs
Barbell Bench Press4x6(AMRAP)T bar Row4x6(AMRAP)Leg Press4x10 (AMRAP)
Barbell Incline Press4x6(AMRAP)Seated Row4x6(AMRAP)Hack Squat4x10 (AMRAP)
Cable Cross Overs4x6(AMRAP)Lat Pull Down4x6(AMRAP)Leg Extension4x10 (AMRAP)
Seated DB Press4x6(AMRAP)Barbell Shrugs4x6(AMRAP)Leg Curl4x10 (AMRAP)
Skull Crushers4x6(AMRAP)Barbell Curl4x6(AMRAP)Calf Raises3x15(AMRAP)
Rope Press Down3x8(AMRAP)Rope Curls3x8(AMRAP)Ab Wheel4x
Push 2Pull 2Legs/Abs/Misc
DB Bench Press4x12 (AMRAP)Pull Ups4x12 (AMRAP)Goblet Squats3x8
DB Incline Press4x12 (AMRAP)Single Arm Lat Pull Down4x12 (AMRAP)Farmers Carry4x
Machine Flyes4x12 (AMRAP)DB Row4x12 (AMRAP)Back Extensions3x10
Standing OH Press4x12 (AMRAP)Seated Wide Row4x12 (AMRAP)Dips3x8
Lateral Raises4x12 (AMRAP)DB Curls4x12 (AMRAP)Sit-Ups4x
V Bar Press Down4x12 (AMRAP)Cable Curls4x12 (AMRAP)Ab Wheel4x
Reverse Press Down4x12 (AMRAP)Preacher Curls4x12 (AMRAP)
You need more food for sure.

1850 is really cutting... at least it should be unless you sit/lay around all day long.

More carbs for sure. Protein is really stout for that amount of calories, but that's not a bad thing.

Sorry about the injuries. I can't do sumo deadlift or any sort of lunges myself because it kills my knees so I feel you on that.

Have you considered an online coach at all?

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. So typically i run about 3 miles in the morning and do my routine with the weights and then from like 8am to 6pm im chained to my computer for work. Weekends im more active and do stuff with my kids and try to do a longer run.
I have thought about possibly looking into a coach but more than likely will continue playing around with my macros a bit before doing that. Routine wise I also question if my volume is too much so the feedback os grreat.

I have 100carbs first breakfast, if your trying to gain your going to need way more. Or a couple high days if looking to maybe recomp. I dial your diet in before anything else is added in.

That looks like a lot of volume with the frequency. Training to failure?

When is your off day? Are you running this for 6 straight days?

With the added frequency back off on the volume per training session.

This needs a hell of a lot of work

Few things. 4 sets in a PPL is overkill, especially if you are doing a 6 on and 1 off.

I'd also change the 4-6 rep range to at least 8-10 and on B days something like 10-15. You're not a power lifter and most people will see better results with the higher rep range.

PPL's allow you implement priority days such as a back width focus/back thickness focus, quad dominant/hamstring dominant, shoulder focus/chest focus. The setup above is simply going from one variation to the next.

AMRAP as in every set to failure? No way.

Too much to list here.

IML Gear Cream!
This needs a hell of a lot of work

Few things. 4 sets in a PPL is overkill, especially if you are doing a 6 on and 1 off.

I'd also change the 4-6 rep range to at least 8-10 and on B days something like 10-15. You're not a power lifter and most people will see better results with the higher rep range.

PPL's allow you implement priority days such as a back width focus/back thickness focus, quad dominant/hamstring dominant, shoulder focus/chest focus. The setup above is simply going from one variation to the next.

AMRAP as in every set to failure? No way.

Too much to list here.
This ⬆️

That looks like a lot of volume with the frequency. Training to failure?

When is your off day? Are you running this for 6 straight days?

With the added frequency back off on the volume per training session.
You are correct. I intend to train to failure and do this Mon-Sat.
I've always had a hard time balancing frequency and volume. I know it's not right but in my mind I feel like I have to absolutely kill myself each day or results won't come. I'll take some time today and go back through this modify it based on everyone's feedback.

I struggle with the whole "what is enough volume and frequency" question. I prefer the bro split for its simplicity and the ability to target one muscle group and really push that mind muscle connection but have read so mush shit on the internet I almost feel mandated to move to some kind of PPL split to hit everything twice per week.
I also get wrapped around the axel on multiple exercise variations for the same muscle group. I'm going to scrap that routine and go back to the old mantra of KISS...Keep it Simple Stupid.
Maybe a traditional 5 day bro split with a 6th day to focus on some additional accessory movements for any lagging areas. or a routine like PHUL and PHAT is what I need.

I like to workout Mon-Sat the gym is my happy place and my stress relief outlet.

With that training and running on 1800 cal i would shrivel up and get smaller and weaker. With just lifting i would need more than that for maintenance. And i weigh less than you and have had spine surgery L4-5.

I struggle with the whole "what is enough volume and frequency" question. I prefer the bro split for its simplicity and the ability to target one muscle group and really push that mind muscle connection but have read so mush shit on the internet I almost feel mandated to move to some kind of PPL split to hit everything twice per week.
I also get wrapped around the axel on multiple exercise variations for the same muscle group. I'm going to scrap that routine and go back to the old mantra of KISS...Keep it Simple Stupid.
Maybe a traditional 5 day bro split with a 6th day to focus on some additional accessory movements for any lagging areas. or a routine like PHUL and PHAT is what I need.

I like to workout Mon-Sat the gym is my happy place and my stress relief outlet.

Sounds like a solid plan.

With that PPL routine, training 6 straight days, you were going to pound yourself into the dirt.

A good deload and then start that bro-split. Bro split is usually 2 muscles per day. Bro split isn't a perfect science though. You could be trying to do chest and Tris, but your shoulders will be getting hit as a primary and then back, legs, etc cetera will be secondary.

PPL can work for you with less volume. 3 days on / 1 day off. I always start with my compound lift and then work supporting exercises to support that compound lift (mostly isometric) I usually hit about 6-8 hard sets of whatever compound lift I'm doing, and that's a great start to a workout.

If you could break down exactly what you do day by day, it could help us help you more. It's just kind of garbled looking right now.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Sounds like a solid plan.

With that PPL routine, training 6 straight days, you were going to pound yourself into the dirt.
pound myself into the dirt.....that's the whole problem. I have engrained in my mind that pounding myself into the dirt is what equates to success......it's the grunts way in the Marine Corps. A very hard mentality for me to breakout of. Can't thank all of you enough for the patience and knowledge!

pound myself into the dirt.....that's the whole problem. I have engrained in my mind that pounding myself into the dirt is what equates to success......it's the grunts way in the Marine Corps. A very hard mentality for me to breakout of. Can't thank all of you enough for the patience and knowledge!

Brother I can relate 💯% with you.

I came up training that way and it's so hard to dial it back.

Get Shredded!
maybe break things down into more days so youll have a longer cycle before getting back to that muscle if you insist on keeping volume that high?

maybe break things down into more days so youll have a longer cycle before getting back to that muscle if you insist on keeping volume that high?
That's what I'm working on doing. I think I am going to have something that hits my main compound exercise 2x week for each muscle group but other than that has a focused day for each muscle group.
It would kind of go like this:

Monday: T-Bar row followed by leg routine
Tuesday: OH press followed by chest routine
Wednesday: Arms
Thursday: Leg press followed by back routine
Friday: Bench press followed by shoulder routine

Abs sprinkled in through the week along with 3-5 mile runs 3x week. Non running days would be some form of low impact cardio like walking 30 minutes at 10% incline.

Sat and Sun are rest days.

Will need to up my macros accordingly.

U need recovery time

Back