• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 🩺Muscle Gelz® HUMANOGEN® - Powered by Ibutamoren® Increases Growth Hormone! (Transdermal - No Injecting!)🏥

higher reps

mkpaint

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
about a month ago I changed from 6-10 reps heavy to higher reps lighter weight and have been more sore than ever. is this good way to still gain strength and size? I know everyone is different wondering if this might be the ticket for my muscle fiber type?

I think its a myth to say higher reps will only cut u up u def can get size from it too in my experiences. I like to switch it up. One week high reps one week low reps. Sometimes switch it day to day, sumtimes mix them in same week from body part to bodypart. And i only max 1 time a month. I change up alot. Muscle confusion=growing lol.

Good info. I guess I've always been taught not to do high reps...maybe I'll give it a shot. Switch it up like you said.

And in my eyes hittin max alot on a single bodypart is not good in my eyes. I see ppl only max on chest and they do it every week mayb even twice a week. Unless ur powerlifting i think its pointless and bad for u. Ill max 1 a week and its always a diff bodypart. So by the time u hit max again on that part its fully healed from that beating a month later. Idk its jus good to switch thigs up. I was always lift heavy lift heavy. All i thiught wen i started at 17 and its not a good mindset. I lift way more strategic now.

2 spot on post by Tdeizel . I concur 100 percent ... I have been goin a lot lighter and higher reps for about a year now due to some bad injuries and I feel and look better then ever . Also my intensity is on fire when Im training lately which is very important also my form is just fucking perfect on evry set and rep ...What a difference in quality muscle

Good info. I guess I've always been taught not to do high reps...maybe I'll give it a shot. Switch it up like you said.

By higher reps Im talking 12-10 with super intensity and perfect form all the way thru .

Quality muscle exactly!!! Cant do the same old thing guys. And get that hey lift the fucking gym every fuckig day outta ur head!! Concentrate every fucking rep!!!;)

I am trying for 15 but sometimes only get 12 -13. I always do one heavy set followed by 3 lighter higher rep sets to failure. I am Hoping this approach helps cut down on sore joints and ligaments.

One more thing that ive learned mkpaint is dont always go to failure. Going to failure every single set is prolly no diff. Then maxing constantly. Ur burning out ur muscles to max then wen theres nothing left u sacrifice form an ur joints start takin the hit. Mostly jus listen to ur body. Good lck hope u get the resuts ur lookin for

More reps?? Don't lift to failure?? You guys are turning my whole world upside down right now.

Save the higher reps for dumbbells and isolation movements.

Squats, benches and deadlifts should never be done to failure and rarely done to technique failure. Every one I know that's truly strong trains this way.

Thank u mcdouche. I was jus sitting there cat got tongue for a sec. Lol. But couldnt say better myself.

More reps?? Don't lift to failure?? You guys are turning my whole world upside down right now.

When you have been doin low reps and max weight to failure for 10-15 years tell me how you joint and shoulders are doin . I am def not saying dont go to failure and also high reps for me is 10-12 . As i grown and gotten older I learned what my body reacts better from . Now I go to failure at 8 . Now my intesity is just plain fucking insane . And now my form is super strict . There is NO way to have super strict form with max weight and super low reps . I get a much much better squeeze during every single rep these days as to when I used to lift just to lift . It took me over 10 years to learn my body very well . It also took about 15 to attain all these fuking injuries . Most guys lift heavy and get big but my body dont grow like that ....But everybody please remember that when Im saying high reps Im not talking anything over 12 .... Also another great tool I have added to my tool bag these days is my stop watch in between sets > That also took my workouts and my intensity to a whole new level . Every body must learn their own body. There are some basic pricipals that are unchangeable and stand the test of time but there is so much more to learn and most of it must be learned by trial, error , and years of experience .

Edit > The negative part of the movement must be done slow and controlled . This is another new tool that Ive learned a few years ago and completely changed the game for me . I used to lift to lift I never realized that the lift is only 50 percent of the movement . I just never thought about it . SLOW CONTROLLED NEGATIVE CHANGED MY BODY . You CAN NOT LIFT MAX WEIGHT LOW LOW REPS IF YOU ARE DOING THE NEGATIVE SLOW AND CONTROLLED

Last edited:
Rotation of my routines on a weekly basis is my way to explosive new growth and separation. I love to read posts when someone realizes hypertrophy is attainable without heavy weights, but to the contrary moderate to light with volume. I'm old school and volume has been a staple for success. I could write a book on routines that weren't...
great thread!

Same here. I am currently doing 1 week light and 1 week heavy rotations. I'm trying to hit every fiber in the muscle with this method. My current training method on light day is 40, 30, 20, 10, 10 rep scheme. Talk about muscle break down. Extreme pumps and sore the next day every time. This is really helping me focus on strict form and controlled movement. It is also getting me well past a plateau I've been in. Keeps every part tight all day. On heavy week I'm doing 4-5 sets of 5-6 reps. I feel like I'm breaking down the muscle on light week, then solidifying it on heavy week. It's been 3 weeks now on this and my size and strength keep going through the roof. Obviously with some help from good old Test. Give it a try if your looking to change up and break past some barriers. It has def helped me.

When you have been doin low reps and max weight to failure for 10-15 years tell me how you joint and shoulders are doin . I am def not saying dont go to failure and also high reps for me is 10-12 . As i grown and gotten older I learned what my body reacts better from . Now I go to failure at 8 . Now my intesity is just plain fucking insane . And now my form is super strict . There is NO way to have super strict form with max weight and super low reps . I get a much much better squeeze during every single rep these days as to when I used to lift just to lift . It took me over 10 years to learn my body very well . It also took about 15 to attain all these fuking injuries . Most guys lift heavy and get big but my body dont grow like that ....But everybody please remember that when Im saying high reps Im not talking anything over 12 .... Also another great tool I have added to my tool bag these days is my stop watch in between sets > That also took my workouts and my intensity to a whole new level . Every body must learn their own body. There are some basic pricipals that are unchangeable and stand the test of time but there is so much more to learn and most of it must be learned by trial, error , and years of experience .

Edit > The negative part of the movement must be done slow and controlled . This is another new tool that Ive learned a few years ago and completely changed the game for me . I used to lift to lift I never realized that the lift is only 50 percent of the movement . I just never thought about it . SLOW CONTROLLED NEGATIVE CHANGED MY BODY . You CAN NOT LIFT MAX WEIGHT LOW LOW REPS IF YOU ARE DOING THE NEGATIVE SLOW AND CONTROLLED

Murf u hit exactly wut i was trying to explain to a t. Great post brother. Hopefully ppl will read and learn from it.

And nice to hear jeffro, great approach!!

Murf u hit exactly wut i was trying to explain to a t. Great post brother. Hopefully ppl will read and learn from it.

Thank you my brother , Unfortunately the training section doesnt get visited as often as it should . If it dont have a sponcors name or a complaint bout cloudy gear in the title it might not get seen by to many . Sad to say

I hear ya. I love showing ppl how i train n shit. Ive never had someone train with me n not say holy fucking shit after lol. N i have alot of meathead friends lol

yea I switched to lighter more reps and look better than ever and all so feel better I have a bb week and a db week. and I go super light first set then two heavy sets reps about 8-12 then last set is a burnout set. the best of both worlds but hardly ever do I do 1 rep shit any more. yes I can bench like 400+ maybe even 500 ilbs but why. why do you have to get old before you get wise.

Get Shredded!
yea I switched to lighter more reps and look better than ever and all so feel better I have a bb week and a db week. and I go super light first set then two heavy sets reps about 8-12 then last set is a burnout set. the best of both worlds but hardly ever do I do 1 rep shit any more. yes I can bench like 400+ maybe even 500 ilbs but why. why do you have to get old before you get wise.

Nice bro ...Im glad to hear that your so pleased with how your looking with your physique .. Its really amazing how long most of us were taking the wrong approach to the BB thing . Although we did see improvements over the years it just doesnt compare to the quality of the muscle some of us are building today with a more focused and smarter approach . In a way some of my injuries have been a blessing in disguise and forced me to listen more to my body and less to my ego . And yes it also took me getting old to get wise lol. I can just imagine how I'd look today if I took this approach 10 years ago instead of just overdosing on gear and expecting miracles . Maybe I would look more like my BB hero up there to the left lol.

I wish more people here would jump in this thread ...Id rather talk bout this any day then talk about what gear Im on > Gear is always the same its the training that changes and advances to new levels

I would give u rep murf. But cant on my iphone :(. But it isnt going unseen lol

And i agree with u 100%! And even in gym with gym buddys. I will help thendo new rhings and right ways. Critique them and they jus dont listen lmao!!! Only sum1 truly into it like me and has a passion for lifting will understand and actually listen ha. I learn tlnew things everyday and approaches and i always give them a shot. And it mite not be wxactly wut im into or the type of workout i like. But in long run it almost helps perfect the lifts and form of things on the things i love doing. So im always down to do new thigs!

Agreed ^^^^ . I also love helping guys . Especially younger dudes . Everybody walks buy these young guys without giving them a fucking minute to correct them . I always try to help without coming off like a know it all . I just hate to see the young guys coming and wasting their time . I envy them so I try to do my best to give a tip or 2 or a small conversation on technique and form and the importance of lighter weight at least until you have perfect form . It really makes me happy to help when these young kids in the gym who look at me like Im a God lmao ( I am in no way that huge lol but to them I am ) . They get real nervous when I approach them to correct something but are so shocked at how nice I am . lol

Really nice to hear people talk about this. In my gym all I ever see for the most part is guys obsessed with the friggin weight . They load it up and then maybe get 4 or 5 reps. Month in month out and always look the same. The magic formula is time under tension. The tension or load must be heavy enough to challenge the muscle. If not the body has no reason to grow bigger and stronger muscle to adapt to the load being put on the muscle. Now that's a whole topic in itself. Putting the load on the muscle entails proper form and intense concentration to make sure the targeted muscle bears the load and work. THEN the muscle must be under the load for long enough ! For me the upper body is about 10 reps and legs 10 -15. Slow the reps down and really feel that negative tension. Now of course we are talking about BBing not powerlifting. And there is a place for overlap and cycling our training. These days they call it muscle confusion. For years I was stuck in the 5 rep zone. Got alot stronger but not that elusive growth I was seeking. That's one reason giant sets and super sets are so effective, they greatly increase the time the muscle is under this intense load. I never do 1 rep max sets. I have no use for them and after many years almost all they do is open you up to injury. It's something I love about this life , you never have learned it all !! Our knowlege of this thing called hypertrophy is constantly evolving just as our physique changes and improves through the sweat and pain. I love it !

My feelings exactly brother ...Welcome to a great thread of like minded BBs lol

N i hear ya murf. Alot of stare at me the same and think wow i want to get big like u. And think i mite be the typical douchebag tool or an asshole. And then wen they actually meet me prolly think same thing wow hes a nice guy!! Ive had mayb a handful of ppl not like me for wut readon idk besides jus being HATERS! Want wu they dont have or see me doing successful/ loving wut i do, having a hot gf. Excedera. But i am the nicest guy and jus love too be huge and love to lift. I am far from ur typical douchebag tool lol! And love to help ppl get better at the very thing i love most. Nothing feels better thn knowing i helped a person do bette or motivate them to get big like me. One day i was a lil guy too. Everyone is but its jus TIME anf DEDICATION and CONSISTANCY! Thats it anyone can do it

Back