• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • IronMag Labs® 25% Off Sale!❤️‍🔥 Hardcore Bodybuilding Supplements💪Use Coupon Code ASF25 💊

Coronary Calcium Scoring

megatron_rulz

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Hi all:

This is my first time posting in this subforum although I have been on ASF a while.

I'm posting about this topic as I could not find anything for coronary calcium scoring despite multiple searches.

Given that we are over 40, I think this is an important topic. I went in and got mine done and it came back with a score of 200, which is classified as moderate plaque burden.

That 200 score, though, doesn't mean much without some background information.

I'm nearing 50 and up until my early-mid 30s, I would state I was mildly to severely obese. At 6' tall, I got up to 280lbs at one point. Beginning in my mid 30s, I changed everything from nutrition to exercise and got down to 200lbs. I also started using AAS at this time with one cycle per year (been cycling for 14 years - TRT last year)

I've done mostly test (500mg) per week, but over the years have added pretty much anything to my stack at various times, including tren, which I reacted very well to (at least on the exterior).

Other things that are pertinent:

1. Family history of heart disease (genetics)
2. Stress is better managed now, but I had tremendous stress earlier in life with school and work (stress is a large factor in coronary disease)
3. During a divorce, for a period of 3-6 months, my drinking was excessive - about 3/4 bottle of bourbon a night (not good)
4. My doctor says I am asymptomatic, and I'm on a 20mg statin dose every night. Interestingly, he says he has encountered ironman competitors with scores in the 600s!

Now, I am on a self administered TRT protocol of 75-125mg a week. Durig part of the year, I will increase that to 250mg a week. I also do 2iu of HGH at night.

Health is paramount for me and I have a cardiologist and monitor bloods closely.

I'm interested to hear from others if you have had this test done and what feedback you can provide.

With all of this news about bodybuilders dropping dead of heart attacks, we can help each other out.

I had mine done a year or two back. Came back with a score of 400. "moderate" for calcium. BUT, it is only 1-step, an important one toward more testing.
Family history as well, father died of heart disease at age 47 back in 1985.
(Those that score low, normally dont go for any more testing). Calcium scores do not show you soft-plaque BTW. My buddy had a ZERO calcium score, then had a widow-maker bypass after soft-plaque got him.
Those prone to plaque, some calcium is OK as it puts a shell on the soft-plaque and keeps it from rupturing. (Statins do this BTW, calcify plaque).

So off I went for more testing, Stress-echo, nuclear-stress, etc.
Mine came back with no blockages, very strong ejection-fraction (67%), etc.
So its a good starting test, but get all the follow-ups. Need them all, one test does not tell whole story...
Also, that total number is for all calcium, so if you have a little in a bunch of area's (like mine) its less to worry about.

Dr. gave me printouts of my heart/valves, etc after all the tests (echo's) and all look good.
He gave me this (atatched) and said its about where mines at (capped off any soft-plaque).

What do ejection fraction numbers mean?

• 55 to 70% – Normal heart function.
  • 40 to 55% – Below normal heart function. Can indicate previous heart damage from heart attack or cardiomyopathy.
  • Higher than 75% – Can indicate a heart condition like hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a common cause of sudden cardiac arrest.
  • Less than 40% – May confirm the diagnosis of heart failure

Attachments

• image_2022-01-17_105644.png
    image_2022-01-17_105644.png
    192.7 KB · Views: 35
Was in Kalifornia last week and tried to get a Cardiac Calcium test because they are $99 there. But they require a doctor’s orders. Here they are closer to $400.
Pretty ridiculous that preventative and informational scans are controlled. Proof it is “sick care” not health care.

Was in Kalifornia last week and tried to get a Cardiac Calcium test because they are $99 there. But they require a doctor’s orders. Here they are closer to $400.
Pretty ridiculous that preventative and informational scans are controlled. Proof it is “sick care” not health care.

Same thing where I live. Just confirmed with my doctor last week.

Here where I live insurance only willing to pay for coronary calcium scan to see if you are a candidate for statins.

I did schedule a screening with Life Line Screening. They use ultrasound which detects plaque or blockages in your arteries.

I did have this performed about 8 years ago and no blockage or plaque was detected. Zero!

It's not a calcium score but a more basic analysis of my situation.

I have had moderate high cholesterol all my life but everything has checked out very well so far so I am not going any further than this at the moment.

Awesome thread..... I have been wanting to get this test done but not sure how to go about it. Do I just tell my Primary Care Physician that I want it? Or what?

Awesome thread..... I have been wanting to get this test done but not sure how to go about it. Do I just tell my Primary Care Physician that I want it? Or what?

I paid 100.00 out of pocket. But yes, ask your PCP about it 1st.
Some insurances cover it, some do not. As its not a mandatory test.

I had mine done a year or two back. Came back with a score of 400. "moderate" for calcium. BUT, it is only 1-step, an important one toward more testing.
Family history as well, father died of heart disease at age 47 back in 1985.
(Those that score low, normally dont go for any more testing). Calcium scores do not show you soft-plaque BTW. My buddy had a ZERO calcium score, then had a widow-maker bypass after soft-plaque got him.
Those prone to plaque, some calcium is OK as it puts a shell on the soft-plaque and keeps it from rupturing. (Statins do this BTW, calcify plaque).

So off I went for more testing, Stress-echo, nuclear-stress, etc.
Mine came back with no blockages, very strong ejection-fraction (67%), etc.
So its a good starting test, but get all the follow-ups. Need them all, one test does not tell whole story...
Also, that total number is for all calcium, so if you have a little in a bunch of area's (like mine) its less to worry about.

Dr. gave me printouts of my heart/valves, etc after all the tests (echo's) and all look good.
He gave me this (atatched) and said its about where mines at (capped off any soft-plaque).

What do ejection fraction numbers mean?

• 55 to 70% – Normal heart function.
  • 40 to 55% – Below normal heart function. Can indicate previous heart damage from heart attack or cardiomyopathy.
  • Higher than 75% – Can indicate a heart condition like hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a common cause of sudden cardiac arrest.
  • Less than 40% – May confirm the diagnosis of heart failure

Thanks for the awesome response. I'm going to speak to my cardiologist about an echo so I can determine my EF.

Just curious, what has your gear history been like over the years?

Yes, at my annual physical, I spoke to my PCP about my family history and that I used to be a fat ass and he authorized it. Just like anything else, the medical industry puts up barriers to get things done.

Interestingly, in my state, insurance companies would not cover it. However, with a PCP referral, it was something like $80. Without one, it was about $300.

In my opinion, there are three main factors that determine how much you will pay. The state you live in, the insurance company you have, and your PCP.

PCP is most important. I have an awesome PCP and he had no issues with the referral. He also put me on a small statin dose of 20mg because he wants to monitor the sides.

Cholesterol was never a real big issue for me. Now, it is down to 150 total with good HDL/LDL numbers.

Same thing where I live. Just confirmed with my doctor last week.

Here where I live insurance only willing to pay for coronary calcium scan to see if you are a candidate for statins.

I did schedule a screening with Life Line Screening. They use ultrasound which detects plaque or blockages in your arteries.

I did have this performed about 8 years ago and no blockage or plaque was detected. Zero!

It's not a calcium score but a more basic analysis of my situation.

I have had moderate high cholesterol all my life but everything has checked out very well so far so I am not going any further than this at the moment.
I think the VA said something like I need to be in the “high risk of heart attack” range or some bs. Dude was ready to prescribe statins based on a 10 month old blood test but noooooooo, you don’t rate a calcium score. I had an echo a couple of years ago and thedoctors at the VA seemed offended that I had one done.
Not that I want blockages but it willbe interesting what they say IF I do find pathology in my scan.

Thanks for the awesome response. I'm going to speak to my cardiologist about an echo so I can determine my EF.

Just curious, what has your gear history been like over the years?

I trained natty from age 12 until age 50, jumping on TRT (.5 cc a week) when I turned 50 (5 years ago).
Couple of times a year I bump it up a bit (1 cc) and some deca (1 cc) for something for like 10 weeks.
So not much gear at all historically.

Back