• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊

Jumping back to carbs after trying keto.

wearegroot

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Not shitting on keto but I found the meal prep to be quite tedious and demanding. There were days where I craved carbs, sugar and I picked a grain of sugar and placed it on my tongue 🤣

But that's not the reason I'm leaving keto. It's because that I can't stick to it consistently as I do with the conventional body building diet- chicken, rice, greens, egg whites, potatoes etc. Man, I missed my oatmeal.

I lost like 19 lbs since February while keeping my calories at 2850.
Now bumping it upto 3000- 3200, stay there for 2 weeks and then slowly pull em in order of 200 every time I plateau.

I don't care that carbs make me feel bloated but I'm so tried on keto and recovery is poor. It takes me 5 or 6 days to recover from a leg day and as a result I had to reduce the volume drastically.

And for the program for next 6 months is Renaissance Periodization 6x/week physique template.

Hope to post my chest day routine on the day training thread with a nasty pump tomorrow.

You don't really lose more fat just because you're doing Keto. At the end of the day it's a calories game. You shouldn't bump your calories because your getting of Keto. Just replace some fat calories with carbs. If you're getting bloated you are eating the wrong or too many carbs.

Welcome back...
I can imagine no carbs..

At the end of the day it's a calories game.
Learned my lesson now.

If you're getting bloated you are eating the wrong or too many carbs.
What would you suggest that'd prevent bloating? My primary source of carbs are rice, potatoes, oats and milk. I used to add pasta but decided rice is easier.

Learned my lesson now.

What would you suggest that'd prevent bloating? My primary source of carbs are rice, potatoes, oats and milk. I used to add pasta but decided rice is easier.
I would take out the milk for sure. Start eating just rice and then slowly add back different foods and see what works best.

rice is definitely the easiest on the stomach. pasta and potatoes feel a bit too heavy for me. Potatoes are worth it tho so long as they arent pre workout.

and a sugary bowl of cereal or something postworkout as a reward/sanity check

I would take out the milk for sure. Start eating just rice and then slowly add back different foods and see what works best.
Haven't tried it yet.

Not shitting on keto but I found the meal prep to be quite tedious and demanding. There were days where I craved carbs, sugar and I picked a grain of sugar and placed it on my tongue 🤣

But that's not the reason I'm leaving keto. It's because that I can't stick to it consistently as I do with the conventional body building diet- chicken, rice, greens, egg whites, potatoes etc. Man, I missed my oatmeal.

I lost like 19 lbs since February while keeping my calories at 2850.
Now bumping it upto 3000- 3200, stay there for 2 weeks and then slowly pull em in order of 200 every time I plateau.

I don't care that carbs make me feel bloated but I'm so tried on keto and recovery is poor. It takes me 5 or 6 days to recover from a leg day and as a result I had to reduce the volume drastically.

And for the program for next 6 months is Renaissance Periodization 6x/week physique template.

Hope to post my chest day routine on the day training thread with a nasty pump tomorrow.
Good for you. I've been on kind of Keto for many many years and works great for me. I always tell everyone do what works for you and don't force something you don't like and can't maintain.

Bloating is probably due to your gut microbiome just not being adapted to specific foods. Unless you have a legit allergy to certain foods, your gut will usually adapt after several weeks of eating the same thing even if you get bloated at first. Trial and error on certain foods. Introduce each one in slowly and assess. If you don't adapt to it...just remove it.

What a person is willing to do usually always works better then what is the best thing but is not followed consistently. And keto needs more consistency then most diets. I found it effect but less enjoyable then most.

It is very hard to push your body to limits on zero carbs. I've done carnivore many many times and I always come back to at least adding some carbs. What I find best is simply cutting calories back on carbs until you find it satisfactory.
If you generally are putting down 500g of carbs lets say.
Week one of cutting, do 400g
Week two, 300g
Keep on cutting the carbs/calories until you find a sticking point.
I'm currently trying to keep my carbs around 250g a day.
My protocol is simple, 32oz yogurt (30g carbs), one cup of rice (150g carbs), 8oz of OJ (25g carbs) and 40g dextrose postworkout. That gives me roughly 245g of carbs a day. Sitting at around 3,250 calories a day. Where I'd generally be 5,000+ in calories.

Some guys have problems with rice, so that is something to be aware of. Which reminds me, what happened to GarlicChicken anyway?

I realize this is an older post but I did a keto-style diet for about 15 years. Got back to training about 5 years ago.
I changed my training regiment and goals last year, necessitating more carbs for the results I wanted and for the effort required.
Timing my carb intake and type worked for me to smooth the transition to the higher carb intake.

Glad your method worked for you.

I did what was basically trace carbs. Like just incidentals that would be in natty pb ect. I got diced on that diet.
Training was a mind fuck with no carbs. Sucked.
And yes, meal prep was a huge pain in the ass vs throwing 7oz meat and a cup of rice in a container.

The brain functions on glucose requiring like 20-25% of total body consumption. Yes, you can breakdown protein into glucose, but just have some God damn carbs. :)
It takes 124g's of carbs a day for the Avg human to have proper brain function.
Keto is garbage.

Get Shredded!
agree on needing some carbs, your brain NEEDS glycogen and forcing a shift to ketones for fuel is a catabolic process in your body. I've listened to a few podcasts on this - i did keto back in the day when it was more commonly labeled the Adkins Diet. I think of it as knocking out one leg of a three legged stool out total means your body has to do quite a bit of adaptation to maintain balance. Sure, it works, yes you will lose weight. I think switching things up from time to time is a good approach. As soon as I tried to shift back to a normal diet back then I gained all the weight back.

Some people swear by keto, I'd suggest trying carb cycling instead if you've never done it.

agree on needing some carbs, your brain NEEDS glycogen and forcing a shift to ketones for fuel is a catabolic process in your body. I've listened to a few podcasts on this - i did keto back in the day when it was more commonly labeled the Adkins Diet. I think of it as knocking out one leg of a three legged stool out total means your body has to do quite a bit of adaptation to maintain balance. Sure, it works, yes you will lose weight. I think switching things up from time to time is a good approach. As soon as I tried to shift back to a normal diet back then I gained all the weight back.

Some people swear by keto, I'd suggest trying carb cycling instead if you've never done it.
While on keto/atkins for over a decade, what I noticed post-cheat days, is I gained 6-8 lbs of scale weight. This was >90% water weight, as evidence by my muscle fullness and pissing clear for 2+ days. I held water like a camel while cheating.

After 3 - 4 days of eliminating carbs, my scale weight was back to pre-cheat-day levels. I did not experience any return to prior weight issues people claim when going off keto recently. I also didn't go off the rails and maintained a whole food healthy diet adding good carbs at the right time.

I agree you need carbs, if your workout suffers from lack of carbs. I was not working out for the first 8 or so years, just dropping weight and maintaining. Energy level was high, brain function was better. This is compared to when I was not working out and eating like shit.

When I got back to working out, it was a 5x5 type plan with long rest intervals. Lack of carbs did not impact these workouts. Energy level was higher, brain function not impacted. This is compared to on keto, no workout.

When I began to target primarily muscle growth, the carbs were necessary. I agree with you about carb-cycling. I keep carbs lower during non-workout days.

I am not a believer in the Keto counter argument about the brain needing carbs nor the argument about putting all the weight back on when off keto (in the context that keto didn't work). I experienced neither. I think that people who return to their pre-keto weight (especially if keto was done short-term) are experiencing both an influx of water and are consuming more calories.

This is based on my personal experience.

Agree with you everyones experience is their own. Re the brain, it's not carbs, it's glycogen - getting to glycogen in a carb restricted diet means using something other than carbs was my point. Maybe some of the more educated dudes on it can elaborate about that.

Learned my lesson now.

Id guess milk is the culprit. If you're anything BUT a bodybuilder, cool. But if you're trying to lose bf or gain mass and not fat, milk is a no no. Straight dairy milk anyway. If I had any milk it would bloat me up like a water balloon. White rice is generally a safe bet. Easily digestible. Soy free Ezekiel bread is another great one too. Potatoes are an iffy one. They're not a bad source but they can definitely bloat some people.
Pasta is a big no no. Anything with white flour is a no go.

It takes 124g's of carbs a day for the Avg human to have proper brain function.
Keto is garbage.
While doing the trace carbs diet (maybe 25g a day) I had a lot of energy but I found my mind trying to go too fast on things, tripping over itself, getting irritated a lot (more than average lol)
Realized what was going on as soon as I started adding carbs back in and it calmed me down 🤦‍♂️

Back