• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

What's your "go to" post workout meal?

0zarks2

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I eat really clean and would rather have whole foods VS supplements. However I will typically have a post workout shake. I'm using 1st Phorm's Phormula 1 with Ignition. I understand the science behind it. Phormula 1 with the Ignition is supposed to replinish your glycogen stores that were depleted during your workout. However it's loaded with sugar.

Is there a better way to accomplish this? I'm curious to know what some of you eat post workout? Thanks

I use plain whey isolate 70-80g/ w 30 hbcd carbs and if bulking - I add Dextrose and maltodextrin . But , I eat 45min- 1hr later (all depends on the diet/training goal.

My great meal is a ground bison /sweet potato bowl . I add all the carrots, celery, onion, peppers and lightly brown , with the meat about 1min in , then once browned at high heat , I add chicken stock(I make baggies up of stock) and freeze (you can use ice trays). Simmer with whatever flavor you feel like - I roast my sweet potatoes w Herbs de Provence or Italian herbs , spray w Non propellant Avocado Spray with black pepper (in alr fryer now) but usually 450 in oven for 15-20min . You can make taco flavored , Italian , Reg or Hot Jamaican curry , jerk seasoning , some brown sugar or maple bacon flavored. I put large cut vegetables and I cube the sweet potato, when close to done , I Crack an egg or two and cover (.egg whites if dieting . But any lean 96/4 beef , chicken tenderloins (which cook in 2 min ) so it’d fast .

Realize I prep my Bison/Sweet potato hash and egg ahead of time. Usually make a 2 bowls per pound of Meat but , I would sometimes eat the whole thing . It’s interchangeable: any meat/seafood , any potato roasted (i like fresh Garlic w Rosemary) , any type of veges , plus A big 48oz water and have a Green Apple : Orange : Berries .

It’s Simple you just have to Change flavors and/or sauces . If low carb , I eat over a salad , toss w Balsamic and nuts w Mozzarella cubes S

Max

I usually head over to the local sports bar for a couple plates and a couple three pints.

Currently using 50g net whey isolate, 50g net Karbolyn and 2 grams of beta-alanine.

In the past I have used pre-made products like MHP’s Dark Matter and recently Core Nutritional’s POST. The problem I have with all of these formulas is they are too damn sweet.

My current concoction is cherry flavored isolate and green apple Karbolyn. It is so sour it is impossible to taste the sweeteners.

I also eat a meal one hour later.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. It doesn't sound like I'm too far off of the mark compared to what you guys are doing. I'm just using different products to accomplish it. Your methods seem a little cheaper as well. I need to research some products to replace what I'm currently doing.
I was just seeing if there was a way to do it without all of the sugar. It's doesn't sound like it. It's ironic that I go as far as to use sugar free ketchup and sugar free oatmeal in my diet, only to slam 45 grams of sugar post workout.
My mentality before doing this was to have a lean protein and something with a high glycemic index like a couple of bananas to accomplish my post workout needs but was told that this isn't optimal due to how long it takes to digest the eggs and bananas.
I do eat again within an hour of that post workout shake, usually something like ground turkey and rice.

Do you understand that sugar=carbohydrates=sugar?

Do some looking around the internet about various form, absorption rate (osmotic) and glycemic index. Amylopectins, HBCDs and such. You want them in fast post workout without gut pain/cramping and a massive insulin spike. (Very simply speaking.)

4 cups kids cereal 4 scoops whey isolate 2cups skim milk. Sometimes I’ll add in 4 triple 0 Greek yogurts.
i noticed since I upped my protein post workout my recovery is insane even keeping protein and cals the same.

As Coach Cabo said carbs=sugar. Sugar isn’t bad. There’s no such thing as bad food. It’s all fuel. Bananas are fine post workout whoever told you they’re not is retarded.
you’re overthinking your diet.

Please, this is driving me crazy. What is “kids cereal”?

I use cream of rice and 60g whey immediately after training ( unless its leg day and im feeling sick), an hour later I'll eat 1 lb 98% fat free ground beef, 2 cups Jasmine rice and veggies, mostly string beans or peas, pink salt and mix together.

IML Gear Cream!
Please, this is driving me crazy. What is “kids cereal”?
😂 any kind of sugary cereal trix, lucky charms, fruity or cocoa pebbles, fruit loops, Frosted Flakes.
i guess adult cereal would Raisin Bran, special k, corn flakes etc

Do you understand that sugar=carbohydrates=sugar?

Do some looking around the internet about various form, absorption rate (osmotic) and glycemic index. Amylopectins, HBCDs and such. You want them in fast post workout without gut pain/cramping and a massive insulin spike. (Very simply speaking.)
Thanks Coach. I'll do a little research on what you suggested. I'm sure that'll bring a little more clarity to it.

 any kind of sugary cereal trix, lucky charms, fruity or cocoa pebbles, fruit loops, Frosted Flakes.
Thanks. I have seen you post this many times and wondered. I eat Cocoa Krispies (Choco Krispis here) when I can’t get Rice Krispies. Way more added sugar. I have used Lucky Charms but avoid wheat, which I think they have.

4 cups kids cereal 4 scoops whey isolate 2cups skim milk. Sometimes I’ll add in 4 triple 0 Greek yogurts.
i noticed since I upped my protein post workout my recovery is insane even keeping protein and cals the same.

As Coach Cabo said carbs=sugar. Sugar isn’t bad. There’s no such thing as bad food. It’s all fuel. Bananas are fine post workout whoever told you they’re not is retarded.
you’re overthinking your diet.
Yeah I was always a low carb guy trying to stay lean. But when I quit running from carbs I noticed a big difference in every way. White rice has become my best friend.
It was the guys at the supplement store who tried to tell me bananas weren't as good since your liver had to break those sugars down to glucose before they could be used, as opposed to these post WO drinks that are designed to have a much faster digestion because those sugars don't need to be converted to glucose by the liver first.
I think coach steered me in the right direction. I'll read up on what he suggested and get a better understanding on HOW they work. I know I'm overthinking it, but I can't help it. I'm just trying to learn

Yeah I was always a low carb guy trying to stay lean. But when I quit running from carbs I noticed a big difference in every way. White rice has become my best friend.
It was the guys at the supplement store who tried to tell me bananas weren't as good since your liver had to break those sugars down to glucose before they could be used, as opposed to these post WO drinks that are designed to have a much faster digestion because those sugars don't need to be converted to glucose by the liver first.
I think coach steered me in the right direction. I'll read up on what he suggested and get a better understanding on HOW they work. I know I'm overthinking it, but I can't help it. I'm just trying to learn

Those guys at the supplement store are morons. They’re equating all fruit to fructose. The majority of my carbs are fruit.

any kind of sugary cereal trix, lucky charms, fruity or cocoa pebbles, fruit loops, Frosted Flakes.

Those off brand golden Graham’s in the bag by Malt O’ Meal are the bees knees. Seriously addicting. Cereal is probably the only food I could eat exclusively and never get sick of it…

Those guys at the supplement store are morons. TheyÂ’re equating all fruit to fructose. The majority of my carbs are fruit.
Yeah I'm finding that out. I'm with you on the fruit. Bananas, honeycrisp apples, and blackberries are part of my daily intake. Nature's candy! It's one of the reasons I couldn't ever do a keto diet. I can't give up my fruit.

Those off brand golden GrahamÂ’s in the bag by Malt OÂ’ Meal are the bees knees. Seriously addicting. Cereal is probably the only food I could eat exclusively and never get sick of itÂ…

Lots of cereal and PB n J sandwiches, especially on training days

10 oz egg whites, 1 scoop chocolate whey iso, 1.5 cups crispy rice cereal, 1 scoop glycoject, 2 oikos triple zero yogurt. 1.5 hours later 6-8 oz grilled chicken, 1 cup of Jasmine rice, 6 asparagus spears.

Get Shredded!
Those off brand golden GrahamÂ’s in the bag by Malt OÂ’ Meal are the bees knees. Seriously addicting. Cereal is probably the only food I could eat exclusively and never get sick of itÂ…
IÂ’ve 4 bags of Malt o meal cereal in my cabinet right now.
2x cocoa crispies, Frosted Flakes, and fruit loops.
ThereÂ’s no difference in taste between that and name brand.

IÂ’ve 4 bags of Malt o meal cereal in my cabinet right now.
ThereÂ’s no difference in taste between that and name brand.

I beg to differ I actually think the malt I brand tastes better. Especially the Golden Grahams and Cinnamon Toast Crunch

For me what I eat after depends on if I am hungry or not . If not then a shake with whey oatmeal almond milk banana and berries .
If food then usually rice with some type of meat beans a veg. Mix into a rice bowl. Fruit salad after with whatever fresh fruits I have at the time .

Bft84;1972781 said:
I’ve 4 bags of Malt o meal cereal in my cabinet right now.
There’s no difference in taste between that and name brand.
Frosted Flakes with a banana sliced up on it is pretty damn good. Those are all good options though

Should I have something sugary post workout to carry nutrients to muscles?

Do yall think drinking a whey/ water shake + rice cakes will digest/ replenish glycogen faster than if I mixed the whey with strawberries, blueberries, low fat greek yogurt?

I really enjoy that smoothie post workout, so if it does make a difference- is it just marginal?

Do yall think drinking a whey/ water shake + rice cakes will digest/ replenish glycogen faster than if I mixed the whey with strawberries, blueberries, low fat greek yogurt?

I really enjoy that smoothie post workout, so if it does make a difference- is it just marginal?
Got some nutrition guys here that would know much better than I but I think it would depend on if you had pre/intra workout carbs or not. If u aren't fasted I don't see how it could matter.

Got some nutrition guys here that would know much better than I but I think it would depend on if you had pre/intra workout carbs or not. If u aren't fasted I don't see how it could matter.
Interested in their input on this. Not fasted- always eat 200g rice and 4oz chicken 1 hr pre workout (i'm 180lbs). No intra carbs.

My post workout currently is 100g strawberry, 60g blueberry, 150g 0 fat greek yogurt, 40g whey protein + 4 rice cakes.....then about an hour after that I have a regular meal

Interested in their input on this. Not fasted- always eat 200g rice and 4oz chicken 1 hr pre workout (i'm 180lbs). No intra carbs.

My post workout currently is 100g strawberry, 60g blueberry, 150g 0 fat greek yogurt, 40g whey protein + 4 rice cakes.....then about an hour after that I have a regular meal
That’s a lot of food an hour before workout. Either you aren’t really training legs or you puke that up mid-workout.
I like my stomach well emptied when I workout. The liter of water I consume throughout that workout, sloshing around in my stomach, is uncomfortable enough. There is a concept that blood to your stomach digesting food instead of being available to muscle may have been debunked since I read it decades ago (I dunno?) but I still subscribe to this.

While your post workout shake/meal may taste good, what matters are the numbers. I like it. I don’t think that the simple carbs are going to shuttle nutrients any faster where the yogurt is concerned. That stuff takes a while to digest. The whey, especially if isolate and hydrosylated, should go in pretty fast. There are schools of thought that any whey works but if I can hedge my bets by using the highest quality version of whey that I can afford, I certainly will.

There are those who also believe any food/meal/shake post workout will do the trick so in any case, by that standard you have it covered.

Back