• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Whats more important Strength or look

WellEngineered33

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
How many guys have we all seen in the gym that look jacked as hell, and cant lift a darn thing. Ive strived for a bit of both, but so far have been way more obsessed with the strength. We have a 1200 lbs. tire at my gym and no body has flipped that SOB and I want to. The 800 pounder i can do sets of 8 but i cant even budge the big guy. Whats more important to yall and is both possible excluding mariusz pudzianowski lol guys a total hoss

I personally train for aesthetics. At the same time, I want to be functional. I've always been very athletic and want to continue being so.

So for me... Symmetry, Strength and conditioning.

I agree with that totally since Im still an athlete but I want to look good too, and especially be able to wipe my own ass

If you're a bodybuilder, looks.
If you're a powerlifter/strength athlete, strength.

If you're neither, looks.

Fortunately, pursuing one will help with the other. Ronnie looked great on stage, and he could DL over 800lbs for example

I go through phases during the seasons. Spring/Summer=Aesthetics, Fall/Winter=Strength and bulking

How many guys have we all seen in the gym that look jacked as hell, and cant lift a darn thing. Ive strived for a bit of both, but so far have been way more obsessed with the strength. We have a 1200 lbs. tire at my gym and no body has flipped that SOB and I want to. The 800 pounder i can do sets of 8 but i cant even budge the big guy. Whats more important to yall and is both possible excluding mariusz pudzianowski lol guys a total hoss

It was like 2005 and I had been working hard on squats.

One day I walked into the gym and squatted 1048 pounds!!

Three times.

However, I was pretty fat I doubt anyone was that impressed because I didn't look awesome. Now, I'm back to the bodyfat level I was at in my 20s, and get nonstop positive remarks. I doubt I can squat that much any longer but I'd rather be slimmer and trigger better interactions with people.

Ideally, I'd have both, but looking fit and being very strong is better than just strong.

Probably a lot of the jacked guys are strong but the way they are lifting they are using the weight to make the exercise hit the target muslce and really trying to exhaust it. Doing fast sets, slow negatives, pause at the contraction etc. These guys are actually strong too. I've done the majority of my strength training. I'm older now and just get injured when I start loading up the bar, So now I train like those guys and it has made me better.

Lifting to look good is a mind fuck. Lower weight, and focusing on mind muscle connection takes getting used to. But if you want to be a meat head and sling iron around, then do so...

Lifting to look good is a mind fuck. Lower weight, and focusing on mind muscle connection takes getting used to. But if you want to be a meat head and sling iron around, then do so...

Yeah, it's an ego thing.

When I first started German Volume Training I went from benching 350 to 110 lbs!

It was well worth it though.

IML Gear Cream!
I'm all about the look I could care less how much I push as long as I look like you shouldn't push me!

Yeah, it's an ego thing.

When I first started German Volume Training I went from benching 350 to 110 lbs!

It was well worth it though.

Hit the nail on the head bro! Our ego's is what directs us away from our own personal goals, feeding more and more into what others "think" we should be pushing. I'm lifting to look better, and I have been working on dropping the ego off at the gym door when I step in...

I like the strength aspect a little more in weightlifting, it's silly to have 20inch guns and cant even squat 3 plates.

I go for both tho because I feel they somewhat go hand in hand, I have my strength and hypertrophy days.

I personally train for aesthetics. At the same time, I want to be functional. I've always been very athletic and want to continue being so.

So for me... Symmetry, Strength and conditioning.

Im with you homeboy.

I'm a bodybuilder so its about looks, that being said back in the day it was all about how much can I lift but now that i am older and everything on me hurts I regret those days. I have 2 ruptured dics had 2 rotator cuff surgeries and there are days my knees hurt just walking up and down stairs, something for you young studs to think about

I'm a bodybuilder so its about looks, that being said back in the day it was all about how much can I lift but now that i am older and everything on me hurts I regret those days. I have 2 ruptured dics had 2 rotator cuff surgeries and there are days my knees hurt just walking up and down stairs, something for you young studs to think about

Very good reminder.

Get Shredded!
I like the strength aspect a little more in weightlifting, it's silly to have 20inch guns and cant even squat 3 plates.

I go for both tho because I feel they somewhat go hand in hand, I have my strength and hypertrophy days.

Dude, the volume training has given me both.

The 110 10x10 over the last year (not even) developed into doing 250 10x10. I went from looking like a powerlifter (nothing wrong with it) to having large well formed musculature.

Plus, all those reps drives the heart rate up, putting me in cardio mode during my whole workout, so I've shed a lot of fat as if I was jogging for the hours I'm at the gym. I feel much more fit than when I used to powerlift.

"It not about how much you can bench, its about how much it looks like you can bench" (Bob Cicherillo)

^^^ Great reminder Thunder

IDK I'm freaking old. i use to be that guy, 400+ bencher, 550 squat, 550 dead at under 190 going down to the dojo slamming peeps into the mat. Now I'm 1/2 century old and I just want to minimize the arthritic pain as much as possible, keep working out and look damn good. Hey ot's been working last year I hit 218 at 9% bF. Not bad for an old man.

IDK I'm freaking old. i use to be that guy, 400+ bencher, 550 squat, 550 dead at under 190 going down to the dojo slamming peeps into the mat. Now I'm 1/2 century old and I just want to minimize the arthritic pain as much as possible, keep working out and look damn good. Hey ot's been working last year I hit 218 at 9% bF. Not bad for an old man.

How old are you?

I'm 46 and last year started taking large doses of fish oil and ALL my aches and pains left. My recovery time went down to like two days, now I train twice a week instead of once. I used to do one body part five days a week but now I do all the parts in two days, cardio wen, then repeat the lifts thurs and friday.

The Omega 3s really destroy inflammation.

I'm 48 and I too take alot of omega'3s and it does seem to help and unless I'm in contest prep I have gone to 2-3 workouts a week and I try to do some type a cardio 3 times a week

Since Im all out bodybuilder, I coudnt care less about strength. I love and enjoy the feeling of my muscle being strentched and flexed, and feeding them to grow, and little bit of chemical supplement to boost me in the gym. Thats all I care about.

How old are you?

I'm 46 and last year started taking large doses of fish oil and ALL my aches and pains left. My recovery time went down to like two days, now I train twice a week instead of once. I used to do one body part five days a week but now I do all the parts in two days, cardio wen, then repeat the lifts thurs and friday.

The Omega 3s really destroy inflammation.

How much are you guys taking to get noticeable effects? I've gone with 1000mg/day before (trying to avoid fish burps) and it didn't do much, but maybe it's just too low a dose.

How much are you guys taking to get noticeable effects? I've gone with 1000mg/day before (trying to avoid fish burps) and it didn't do much, but maybe it's just too low a dose.
Omega 3s I've never heard or felt visible effects from, and they're not something that seem to give those either. They SEEM to help me with fat loss personally.

Their benefits are simply too many and there's so much science behind them in human studies - I'm content just to take them without trying to figure out if I'm feeling it, because we know they do work in the ways we can't see (good for your blood vessels+brain+skin+losing fat, reduce risks of heart disease/stroke/brain decline/cancer over time, not to mention a bunch of other things).

I take about 30 to 40 grams, which is 2 to 3 tablespoons.

I read that's about what a healthy diet should have, but I eat almost no foods with it in so I decided to fully supp with the vitamin shoppe liquid brand. Studies show that at 5 grams you start to get the benefits.

Now, if your decide to go into my range you need to think about what you're getting in your diet. I'm not a very big fish eater so I'm getting almost none, but if you're getting a lot you have to watch because omega 3s can have a blood thinning effect and you don't need too much of that going on.

Back