• Hello, please REGISTER and become a member of our community! You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!

Training choices in the heat of summer

bigrobbie

Registered Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I'm curious about you guys who do manual labor in the heat of summer as to how you approach the gym?

I find living in the Southeast the humidity is so draining and heat index so high I simply have nothing left for the gym.

Bulking is of course out of the question so I focus on cutting like a freak.

Saying that to say that between my job and 3 full body circuit routines a week is sufficient. Just hit lighter weight higher reps, less rest between sets....I stay pretty ripped but all I wanna do is sleep 😴

What are you other "blue collar" heat working bros doing for your summer training? I'm curious if others are in the same niche I've hit this summer?

Stanley B

Registered Member
Reaction score
I work in the Texas sun. It is brutal. This summer has been a really rough one too. Lots of +100 degree days. I can’t even come close to lifting as heavy on a work day as if it was an off day. Higher reps is the way I have to go most the time. Some days I do better than others. I can’t eat sometimes it’s just too fucking hot.
I try and do my cardio at 3 am in garage on treadmill then work by 5. It’s a total struggle. I’m ready for it to cool off just a bit. Big diffrence from 104 to 90. Super tough to consider Tren this time of year.

GYMnTONIC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In college I worked for my best friends dad. He owned a huge arborist company. I dragged brush, carried logs, and trees and chipped and did ground work, cutting with chainsaw etc.

It was brutal. I was drinking like 2 gallons of water. We would take breaks and I was eating every single break and consuming tons of calories. I lost size and strength, although I was super lean and looked good and certainly was tan.

Nothing I did overcame it.

And like you said, I would go train at say 6pm at night and I was exhausted and weak and tired.

If I went home after work, I would fall asleep.

I don't have an answer for you sir. Just agreeing with you.

KingoftheNorth14

Registered Member
Reaction score
My gym is in my garage in the southwest. The summers here can get to 120. Normally when I go outside to my gym to workout at about 7pm it’s still 100-110 still outside. I have a big garage fan that helps. I also play basketball and go for runs when it’s 100+ out still. The shutdown of Covid made me invest in a total gym for my garage. It’s been a few yrs now of this outside routine and I guess I’ve just got used to it. I ensure I drink a bottle of water with electrolytes before and after my workouts to replenish. I go for 45 sec or less between sets when it’s so hot. That gets my workout done in about an hour so it’s not so bad.