• Hello, please REGISTER and become a member of our community! You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!

Rest Days

Montego

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Just saw a clip from an old Bodybuilding and Bollocks episode with Luke where a listener asked about rest days and do you need them and if so how many.

Luke gave the absolute BEST answer I've ever heard anyone give on the subject, after one of his snide jokes he always made that cracked me up. He said "If you don't look forward to your rest days, you're not training hard enough."

Absolutely perfect.

Androgenocide

Registered Member
Reaction score
I had been doing 6 days a week but as my training intensity increases, I've had to drop it to 5. Dorian Yates said he only did 4 days a week.

PositiveVibes

Keep it simple stupid
Registered Member
Reaction score
I've been 5-6 days heavy weight intense workouts for the last 6-8 months. Starting to have some pain in my left elbow, I think it's time to slow it down a bit. Either adding another rest day or not lifting as heavy for a month or two.
Pretty sure it's tennis elbow, very mild right now but I have researched and don't want it to get worse.

Jbswole40

Registered Member
Reaction score
I'm either training or doing lots of cardio 7 days a week.take whole day off on occasion but Like 1 or 2 days out the month..intensity lacks from time to time but I'm always training.if not going heavy cus joint issues,I will just hit lots of reps to hit each muscle.

Durro

pct you must
Board Rep
Reaction score
Rest days are very important you tear down muscle in the gym and grow outside the gym. Way back guys would call workouts muscle tears. “I did five muscle tears last week”
I take off 9- 11 days in a row twice a year from training. It’s good rest for the muscles, nervous system, mind and digestion. By day five I’m eating only three to four times a day.
I’m currently training four days a week. Tues - arms, Wed - shoulders and calves, Sat- Chest and Back, Sun - Legs. Rest on Mon, Thurs and Friday. Like Luke said you ain’t training hard enough!

hot rod

Registered Member
Reaction score
Just saw a clip from an old Bodybuilding and Bollocks episode with Luke where a listener asked about rest days and do you need them and if so how many.

Luke gave the absolute BEST answer I've ever heard anyone give on the subject, after one of his snide jokes he always made that cracked me up. He said "If you don't look forward to your rest days, you're not training hard enough."

Absolutely perfect.
My old ass sticks w/ every other day. Just the way I was taught. Of course- I do everything I'm gonna do on my on days. Think most probably do different parts, different days. And I used too- but when u are pushing 60- u change a few things- at least I do. Still works out to 4 days a week and I VERY RARELY rest 2 days- it works for me w/ my schedule- just my routine- not for everyone- HR

Jbswole40

Registered Member
Reaction score
Rest days are very important you tear down muscle in the gym and grow outside the gym. Way back guys would call workouts muscle tears. “I did five muscle tears last week”
I take off 9- 11 days in a row twice a year from training. It’s good rest for the muscles, nervous system, mind and digestion. By day five I’m eating only three to four times a day.
I’m currently training four days a week. Tues - arms, Wed - shoulders and calves, Sat- Chest and Back, Sun - Legs.
Nice routine 👌. Mine similar but I hit cardio hard my days off.

hot rod

Registered Member
Reaction score
This for me. And I know guys say that's not REAL cardio. But they don't know MY job. And 40+ years here so I totally understand where ur coming from my man! Back at it tomorrow- can't wait- not!

hot rod

Registered Member
Reaction score
Nice routine 👌. Mine similar but I hit cardio hard my days off.
Wish I could do this- by day 3 I'm a nut job- just drives me crazy. My head tells me " you're gonna lose everything". When intellectually I know it's bullshit.Oh well- at least it's a healthy addiction- some have been the opposite- shit I even sneak and do push-ups @ work-lol

Jbswole40

Registered Member
Reaction score
This for me. And I know guys say that's not REAL cardio. But they don't know MY job. And 40+ years here so I totally understand where ur coming from my man! Back at it tomorrow- can't wait- not!
I hear u guys.im 40+ too,physical job.average 15000 steps a day + lift heavy at work..lol I do sneak in squats pull up pushup at work.im still at the gym every a.m.doing somthing, I just love to train period.i rest when I feel I really need it

hot rod

Registered Member
Reaction score
I'm either training or doing lots of cardio 7 days a week.take whole day off on occasion but Like 1 or 2 days out the month..intensity lacks from time to time but I'm always training.if not going heavy cus joint issues,I will just hit lots of reps to hit each muscle.
U probably know this but deca REALLY helps ME with the joint thing. However it comes w/ baggage for some. Very low dose can go a long way tho-for us more "mature" fellas- lol. Last post I promise- time to eat anyway!

Swanson92

Reaction score
I train Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday. Monday is Chest and biceps. Tuesday is legs. Thursday is back. And Friday is Shoulders and triceps. If I do more than that my body gets burnt out after 3 or 4 weeks.

Durro

pct you must
Board Rep
Reaction score
Some will say I’m not training enough or not hard enough but that’s what’s working for me now. Father time tells you to slow down a bit. When I was younger I could get away with less rest days I was training five days a week no problem. So for the young guys yes you can probably train twice a day 6 days a week or 2 days on 1 day off and train your entire body twice in one week and recover well some may not. Stay swell and swole!

Durro

pct you must
Board Rep
Reaction score
I came across this on another board:

NO DAYS OFF AND NOT MUCH TO SHOW FOR IT
When we don’t like how we look, improving becomes an emotional issue. And those emotions often drive lifters to take no days off from training.

We’ve all seen something similar with those who crash diet because they don’t like their extra weight. But the same goes for someone skinny. They want muscle NOW, and their impatience may lead to poor decisions like working out every day of the week. While that might feel hardcore at the moment, it’ll backfire. Because the truth is, there’s no scenario in which weight training every day will be optimal for you.

If you’ve been lifting consistently (and properly) yet display no muscle mass, you’re likely on the low-end of the curve when it comes to a genetic training response. It happens, but your reaction to it may derail your muscle-building results.

Here’s what’s happening.

Who Are Low Responders?

You might think of them as hardgainers. They’re on the low-end of the response curve and have low strength-training tolerance.

They repair muscle damage a lot slower. This is mostly due to their ACTN3 genotype (ACTN3 XX) and a lower level of anabolic hormones (testosterone, estrogen, growth hormone, IGF-1, insulin) compared to their catabolic hormones (cortisol, adrenaline, glucagon).

If anything, these people need more days off during the week to allow their bodies to recover. They also need a higher caloric and protein intake relative to their body weight compared to more genetically gifted individuals.

Very few people can effectively train seven days a week, not long term at least. It’s possible for the “anabolically gifted” and steroid users to do it for a short period of time. But even for them, it requires a period of greatly diminished training to recover and re-sensitize their muscles to the stimulus.

That’s the problem. Your muscles do become resistant to the training stimulus if that stimulus is present too frequently and goes on for too long. Specifically, the mTOR activation in response to training – which is largely responsible for the increase in protein synthesis following the workout – greatly decreases the more you train. This makes you respond less and less to your workouts.

Luckily, you can regain your initial response in one or two weeks if you reduce your training volume and intensity enough. Hence the need for periodization.

By training every day, you’re more likely to speed up that desensitization and stop gaining faster. And for a hardgainer, it’s even more of a problem. They tend to be of the ACTN3 XX genotype. One characteristic of that type is a lower mTOR response to training to start with. So the last thing they’d want to do is decrease that response even more with daily lifting.

Real-World Examples

Let’s move away from science and look at the real world. Consider every successful bodybuilder, strongman athlete, or powerlifter. Heck, you can even include other athletes like American football players and throwers.

None of them lift seven days a week. Pretty much none of them lift six days a week. Some will lift five days a week, and many of them will weight-train four days a week.

“Yeah, but most of them are on steroids!”

Probably. But what do steroids do? They increase protein synthesis and glycogen replenishment (among other things), allowing the user to recover faster. This means they can train more frequently than natural lifters and get results.

So if these highly anabolic athletes – who are recovering at a rapid pace – only do four workouts per week, what business do you have doing seven?

What a Hardgainer Can Do
You can use more volume and effort per workout. If you’re a hardgainer, you’ll need a stronger stimulus to get an adequate anabolic response.

And because of your inferior recovery capacity, you actually need more rest days. So try the one-day-on and one-day-off approach. Train brutally hard, but rest the next day. I’m personally biased toward a whole-body approach three times per week plus one gap workout.

HFO3

NO LIMITS.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
monday is chest and back
tuesday is calves then legs
wed is off
Thursday is back and chest
friday is shoulders bicep and tricep

My body tells me its time to take a day off, my mind can go either way.

dogdog

Reaction score
rest days = guilt days = but you need rest days if you are sore = but but but

I've found that the CNS gets worn after a few days of intense exercise, like drop sets and multiple to failure sets and stubborn volume more more more training.

When your whole body feels shot, THAT definitely demands a day or two of rest

Wiseguy

Registered Member
Reaction score
After 3 decades of training I listen to my body.

1. Wake up full of energy and ready to go I am off to the gym I don't care if its three weeks in a row.

2. Wake up tired, sore, heavy legs I listen to my body and take a day or two or even three days off to rest it properly.

Like I always say, bodybuilding is not a cookie cutter for everyone. Different tolerance, conditioning, goals, workouts. At the end of the day the only person I listen to is my body and what works for me.

gearhead80

Registered Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I always gauged the splits by the goal. If I was doing strength work (5,3,1), 3 day split. M, W, F. My old trainer had me on a M&Th chest, tricep, and bicep with T&F to hit back, legs and shoulders. First 2 days were the heavy lifts (5x5 and10/3) and later days went to volume. 10, 8, 6 then 25 for 4 exercises each muscle group. I'd be so spent leaving there I couldn't wait for Wednesdays and weekends to recover. Can't be like Kai who says he doesn't take rest days.

Pete44

Registered Member
Reaction score
Even on my off days I hit push-ups and some pull-ups. Probably just out of boredom because I am used to hitting it 5 days

zionoir626

Registered Member
Reaction score
I truly think this is one of the BIG 3,that is either not effective or done improperly..
Of the 3...Training..Nutrition and Rest..
Rest isn't just Rest..it's replenishing needed nutrients,stretching and reducing stress Over-All..
A Rest regime needs to be in place to make those days optimum..not just hanging in bed all day..

And Wise...always has GOOD stuff to add and is so very RIGHT.
Listen to what your body is telling you..
Z...

Jbswole40

Registered Member
Reaction score
I always gauged the splits by the goal. If I was doing strength work (5,3,1), 3 day split. M, W, F. My old trainer had me on a M&Th chest, tricep, and bicep with T&F to hit back, legs and shoulders. First 2 days were the heavy lifts (5x5 and10/3) and later days went to volume. 10, 8, 6 then 25 for 4 exercises each muscle group. I'd be so spent leaving there I couldn't wait for Wednesdays and weekends to recover. Can't be like Kai who says he doesn't take rest days.
Sounds tough..like to try it ..

gearhead80

Registered Member
Reaction score
Sounds tough..like to try it ..
Slow, deliberate and controlled for the drop set reps. Hold and squeeze. No rest between sets. For the 25, don't rush them just to get it over with. Use 50% of the starting weight to do them all. I usually had to do forced reps with aid. It is like a blowtorch if you are doing them right. Take a minute or 2 before going onto the next exercise.