• Hello, please REGISTER and become a member of our community! You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!

Pump supply question

Irish

Registered Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I bought the 2.5cm HF Pump. Looking at what else I need. Will this work? Other than a vacuum line to attach the two, would I need anything else? I have vial's and beakers.

QWORK 1000ml Glass Vacuum Filtration Distillation Apparatus for Filtering in Lab with 300mL Graduated Funnel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0822LDSC3/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_1AVZ3RSAV1HET3YTCR2N

And these paper filters

StonyLab Qualitative Filter Paper Circles, 56mm Diameter Cellulose Filter Paper with 20 Micron Particle Retention Medium Filtration Speed, Pack of 100 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R4WD8R...t_i_HMQ1WX8EN3DTJY1V9DWZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Jaxz

Registered Member
Reaction score
I've heard coffee filters are very affective . One equals .45 and 2 is very close to .22 . Just what I heard

Multislacking

ASF MVP
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've heard coffee filters are very affective . One equals .45 and 2 is very close to .22 . Just what I heard

I hope my gear is being brewed a *little* better than coffee filters.

Jaxz

Registered Member
Reaction score
I hope my gear is being brewed a *little* better than coffee filters.

I use them for home brew seems to work just fine

I mean why buy all that equipment for home brew. Now if it for a lab that would be a different story all together.

Jaxz

Registered Member
Reaction score
That's like buying a hood for home brew just don't add up or make any since . But I guess to each his on .

Jaxz

Registered Member
Reaction score
Actually just looked it up coffee are .20 micros so there very useable

Multislacking

ASF MVP
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Actually just looked it up coffee are .20 micros so there very useable

Coming from a manufacturing background, I wouldn't bet money there is any standard of quality to them. And it's a pretty cheap part of the process. But hey, up the BA and all is good, right?

I have filtered things through coffee filters, but it was things I was going to be drinking (not coffee, but obviously that too). I know there is sediment that still passes through from letting jars sit for a while. And that was running it through two filters at the same time. I'm seriously not trying to bust your balls though. Just sayin'. This is one of the reasons I don't home brew...I'd be WAY too anal about the process. Blame it on my OCD.

Jaxz

Registered Member
Reaction score
Coming from a manufacturing background, I wouldn't bet money there is any standard of quality to them. And it's a pretty cheap part of the process. But hey, up the BA and all is good, right?

I have filtered things through coffee filters, but it was things I was going to be drinking (not coffee, but obviously that too). I know there is sediment that still passes through from letting jars sit for a while. And that was running it through two filters at the same time. I'm seriously not trying to bust your balls though. Just sayin'. This is one of the reasons I don't home brew...I'd be WAY too anal about the process. Blame it on my OCD.

I guess u are right on some points . But I don't use a autocave either I just do alcohol bath for my vials. No infection as of 10 years now .

Now if I was doing a lab I would do alot things differently

Jaxz

Registered Member
Reaction score
I also use 2 filters at once .

Irish

Registered Member
Reaction score
Do you own an Insta pot? If you do, 1 cup of water, place wire rack , place what you want sterilized on it, set instapot to steam or sterilize. No need for a $500 autoclave. As for my post. The two items is all I need correct?

CoachCabo

Registered Member
Reaction score
Do you own an Insta pot? If you do, 1 cup of water, place wire rack , place what you want sterilized on it, set instapot to steam or sterilize. No need for a $500 autoclave. As for my post. The two items is all I need correct?
The instapot isn’t an autoclave. You need 15psi to reach 250f boiling water under pressure to mimic an autoclave. A pressure cooker will do this but you end up with wet vials. If you put vials into autoclave bags and have the time to let them dry, which can be a very long time (days), this helps.
You can use oven bags for large amounts of vials or Corningware to oven bake vials. 400f for a couple of hours kills almosts everything.
Here’s the deal though, once you expose those vials to unfiltered air (like a laminar hood filters air), they are innoculated with every pathogen, mold spore, etc. that is airborne.

You need 0.22 micron or smaller to filter stuff to USP “sterility” standards. I didn’t look at the diameter of your filter funnel but PTFE, PES and nylon filter disks are cheap enough and easy to find. Bottle top filters are the easiest way for home brewers because they come sterile and you simple need to screw onto sterile (baked) media bottles.
There used to be dozens of decent home brewing videos on the internet.
Also how to’s on DIY laminar flow hoods. Mycology guys make these videos and there is zero room for error in that hobby so the info is pretty solid.

With reputable sponsors here it seems crazy to take a chance on getting sick from your home brews. If you are a “If I don’t make it, I don’t take it.” guy like me, then I understand. But don’t do it half assed. Invest in proper equipment. It lasts a very long time.

*I brewed in my kitchen, converting Finaplix pellets many years ago. I can’t believe I never got an infection, looking back. Sure, you are taking self risks. But I don’t know a single guy that has brewed that doesn’t share with his “bros”.

Irish

Registered Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to reevaluate and see if I can dig up those videos.

maxmuscle1

Registered Member
Reaction score
The instapot isn’t an autoclave. You need 15psi to reach 250f boiling water under pressure to mimic an autoclave. A pressure cooker will do this but you end up with wet vials. If you put vials into autoclave bags and have the time to let them dry, which can be a very long time (days), this helps.
You can use oven bags for large amounts of vials or Corningware to oven bake vials. 400f for a couple of hours kills almosts everything.
Here’s the deal though, once you expose those vials to unfiltered air (like a laminar hood filters air), they are innoculated with every pathogen, mold spore, etc. that is airborne.

You need 0.22 micron or smaller to filter stuff to USP “sterility” standards. I didn’t look at the diameter of your filter funnel but PTFE, PES and nylon filter disks are cheap enough and easy to find. Bottle top filters are the easiest way for home brewers because they come sterile and you simple need to screw onto sterile (baked) media bottles.
There used to be dozens of decent home brewing videos on the internet.
Also how to’s on DIY laminar flow hoods. Mycology guys make these videos and there is zero room for error in that hobby so the info is pretty solid.

With reputable sponsors here it seems crazy to take a chance on getting sick from your home brews. If you are a “If I don’t make it, I don’t take it.” guy like me, then I understand. But don’t do it half assed. Invest in proper equipment. It lasts a very long time.

*I brewed in my kitchen, converting Finaplix pellets many years ago. I can’t believe I never got an infection, looking back. Sure, you are taking self risks. But I don’t know a single guy that has brewed that doesn’t share with his “bros”.

Bro’s before Hos
giphy.gif

Max

CoachCabo

Registered Member
Reaction score
I bought a Ritter Speedclave M7 right out of a doctor’s office for $240. Small but it does the trick properly. I can fit a few hundred stoppers or my media bottle caps in it. Probably could put 100 or so vials in it?

You can find incredible deals on equipment if you are non-stop looking for them. I bought a Mettler-Toledo AE240 balance for $152 out of the NIH. These are near $2k used. I have deal after deals like this I have made. Just takes patience.