• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

My back muscles are too big - according to a doctor

nuttz51

I am a pothead
Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
So I got told my lower back muscles are too big and are attributing to my pain resulting from an old fracture in my L4 and a couple deflated discs.... Does this sound right at all? If this is a real issue how can train my back without using that part of my back, nothing but overhead lat pulls?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 164
Get a new doctor.

what kind of doctor is it? See an ART/sports medicine doctor that works with weight lifting populations. Think pro or D1 football teams.

yes this can be true if you have muscular imbalance. Happens all the times to athletes and I see it a lot. not saying that's your issue but its not unreasonable.
pro or D1 it still happens. see a good sports med doctor with good Pt dep't that can test you for that.

First off that is retarded. Second if it was true you could just train core more to be more balanced. A.R.T would only help so much as you are furthering imbalances. For instance why do you think most pros have their gut sticking out? Their back and hams are so overpowering and tight that the cause the hips to entend and they have a horrible core which helps in hip flexion.

also flexibility. I am just throwing some things out there to help you narrow it down. just my two sense. Just cause your back is to big though is a b.s. answer. I would want to know the reason why to big is contributing to that. anyways good luck.

Do more to strengthen your lower back erectors. You don't see them at all in your picture. If they get stronger, along w/ your core you'll stabilize your spine more.
Good mornings, SLDL, Romanian DL's all come to mind.

ive heard it all....i was under the assumption ya build the muscle around the spine to tske the pressure off of it ...but what do i know

How often do you squat? I'm talking the mark ripoetoe full depth squat, not the toes pointed forward half squats I see 90% of the people do.

IMO squats fix more problems with the back than anything else.

they sure fixed mine.

How often do you squat? I'm talking the mark ripoetoe full depth squat, not the toes pointed forward half squats I see 90% of the people do.

IMO squats fix more problems with the back than anything else.

they sure fixed mine.

If he's got low back problems squats may not do anything other than aggravate his back. I have a bad low back and can't squat heavy due to it, and when I do squat I only go to 90%, much lower and it transfers the weight from your quads/legs to your back which isn't good IMO since I'm trying to work my legs. To each their own and all of this is debatable. I also do pause squats (front and back) since I can't go heavy. Amazing how a 5 sec hold in the down position kills your legs.

If your deep core is being shut down by over developed/hyper active lumbar erectors you will aggravate with squats.
Deep soft tissue release /ART and properly recruiting then integrate deep squats.
You look like you have a bit of rounded shoulders and protruding t-spine which could indicate t-spine mobility issues. I'd bet you have some shoulder issues as well? Possibly on the opposite side of your back pain?
T-spine mobility is so important for proper muscular recruitment patterns. Many lifters have these issues and when left unaddressed ,almost always lead to injury and pain.

IML Gear Cream!
you kidding? I think he's got the biggest rhomboids Ive ever seen in my life..troo story

I see almost no spinae erectors in the lumbar spine...

initially I thought your doctor must be a fucking moron but looking at the pic..he may not be..you look a bit unbalanced

do you deads at all? or any core work like supermans, roman chairs.. or anything?

Spinal extensor muscles can be over active and still under developed. It's the relationship with other muscles that causes much of the problems, namely the TVA, internal oblique, diaphragm.
There are some serious imbalances and assymetry's going on from a static perspective. I can only imagine what your movement's look like. A good therapist or trainer that specializes in Corrective Movement Training would go along way. Most md's don't have a clue when it comes to this. This is my specialty but I'm in NY. Good luck.

you kidding? I think he's got the biggest rhomboids Ive ever seen in my life..troo story

I see almost no spinae erectors in the lumbar spine...

initially I thought your doctor must be a fucking moron but looking at the pic..he may not be..you look a bit unbalanced

do you deads at all? or any core work like supermans, roman chairs.. or anything?
I've had to cut dead lifts back to once every 2 weeks because of my lower back pain. There isn't anything I don't do though. I seem to have weird genetics that make me grow strange ways

Listen to bigjim...I have to agree with his view on this that you have decent muscle imbalances..

If your deep core is being shut down by over developed/hyper active lumbar erectors you will aggravate with squats.
Deep soft tissue release /ART and properly recruiting then integrate deep squats.
You look like you have a bit of rounded shoulders and protruding t-spine which could indicate t-spine mobility issues. I'd bet you have some shoulder issues as well? Possibly on the opposite side of your back pain?
T-spine mobility is so important for proper muscular recruitment patterns. Many lifters have these issues and when left unaddressed ,almost always lead to injury and pain.

I have some shoulder clicking from a shoulder separation years ago but other than that no shoulder problems. Sounding like I have a serious problem lol. I'm trying a new doctor.

I can see why you have lower back pain man. Your thoracic spine dominates your lumbar spine. You need hip/low back work. I'm assuming you don't have very big glutes either?

I can see why you have lower back pain man. Your thoracic spine dominates your lumbar spine. You need hip/low back work. I'm assuming you don't have very big glutes either?

I've always been a strong squatter but really not a whole lot of development has happened in my glutes

I've always been a strong squatter but really not a whole lot of development has happened in my glutes

Then you're probably excessively quad dominant as well. You should probably start with light hip and low back work and work your way up from there.

Do more to strengthen your lower back erectors. You don't see them at all in your picture. If they get stronger, along w/ your core you'll stabilize your spine more.
Good mornings, SLDL, Romanian DL's all come to mind.

This, right here. Plus flexibility if it's limited.

Been putting more emphasis on lower back stuff and doing it with high intensity since my fucked up spine can't handle heavy weight anymore.

im in a whole lot less pain right now then I was two weeks ago. Thanks for the replies. I also noticed a difference after cutting tren out last week. I think it was causing constant back pumps that was putting pressure on a weird area. Still in and out of Drs offices though trying to pick the one to do my bone fusion in there next year

Get Shredded!
This is what it looks like now can't really see much new development but it feels sooo much better. So are those two muscles actually too big or are they just overpowering the lumbar?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 24
You aren't a small guy, but compared to the PA at my Orthopedic Surgeons office you are a little man. They understand BBers. You just need the right physician.
Strengthening lower back erector muscles does help. Proper stretching helps. The old roller massager helps on the those long back muscles. With that much damage, you can only find so much relief. Stretching and massage are the best things you can do for the lower back muscles. Especially here you get scar tissue that builds up sideways between the muscle fibers. Rolling helps break that up and reduces the muscle tension that can add to the discomfort in your back.

Then you're probably excessively quad dominant as well. You should probably start with light hip and low back work and work your way up from there.

Check out Bret Conteras, known and the glute guy. He's got a ton of info on not only getting the glutes to work correctly but hip flexor and low back strengtheners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still in the camp that you strengthen your lower back and you might be able to postpone that surgery for a long time. I'm in the same boat. Dr wanted to fuse mine 12 years ago (or so) and I said no. Finally found a Dr that said to stop doing load bearing exercises. I did, got fat and said enough was enough. I don't go heavy on squats or DL's but do on Rack Pulls since I am in a more neutral position on them.
In time I will need the surgery, but I've put it off this long. Takes me about 30 minutes every morning to loosen up my back when I get up, other than that it feels OK most of the day. Sucks to get old w/ old injuries.

Had a doctor tell me similar as I started to have lower back issues. It is disproportionate, but I am no where near as off as you are. That is pretty amazing. I stopped focusing on my upper back just keeping moderate volume and higher reps, and hit the deads hard. I slipped a disc in April that messed me up for 3 months but since I backed off of the heavy upper stuff and started to focus more and more on deads I don't have a lot of the issues I had before.

My upper back used to be tight all the time, stiff and full of knots, it isn't as bad now. So at least in my case there is some validity.

Back