• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 🩺Muscle Gelz® HUMANOGEN® - Powered by Ibutamoren® Increases Growth Hormone! (Transdermal - No Injecting!)🏥

Mentzerasf's Shred Thread

Mentzerasf

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Need to cut, decided to create an accountability/progress thread on here.

About me:

5'11", 230-ish pounds. Lifetime natty, but am quite tempted by the dark side. At my heaviest I was just under 300lbs. Pre-Covid I was at my leanest, 193lbs, following a strict Carnivore Diet. Was doing a push/pull/legs split, going by feel with recovery.

Since then I've gone through a divorce and a career change. I've admittedly let that be an excuse and haven't been as dedicated as I should be.

Goals:
Document getting lean ASAP. Then lean bulk on first ever cycle (will def be soliciting advice).

Did push at the gym two days ago, will be doing tonight for pull. Will commence weighing food starting tomorrow.

2/27/22
Went to the gym for upper body pull last night. Wasn't planning on working out until this morning, but needed to blow off some steam.

Pull:
Nautilus Pullovers
Seated Row
Bicep Curls
Nautilus Lower Back Machine
Abs

Had a few glasses of wine last night. Dieting starts monday morning.

2/28/22
Had a gnarly headache from the moment I got up. It's only gotten worse as the day has gone on. Black coffee for breakfast, 1.5lbs of 80/20 ground beef for lunch. Probably skipping dinner & going to bed early tonight. Legs tomorrow. Will update daily.

3/1/22
I'll update this later today, but I had to write a bit now:

Last night was rough. My girlfriend who lives with me has PTSD and last night was a difficult night. I know there's a lot of brothers on here who have PTSD or mental health issues. I don't, but dating and loving someone who struggles so much, so often has given me an insight I never expected to have. The sudden triggers, the hard emotional swings, the emotional distancing, seeing how much effort it takes just to be normal and face small parts of the day... I can only imagine how difficult it must be.

Running on about 3 hours of sleep. Still going to hit legs. Still going to stick to the diet 100%. Hope everyone has a kickass day, and to my brothers who are struggling I hope you get a few moments where you get some relief.

3/1/22 (PM Update)

Didn't see how to edit my last post to add more, so I'll just add this now. I'll do a post a bit later outlining my general approach to training & diet.

Legs:
Hack Squats until I could barely walk
Seated Calves
Leg Extensions

Also spent some time watching some thicc cougars do deadlifts.

Ate 1.5lbs of beef for lunch. A few turkey sticks and garlic mustard for dinner.

Mentzerasf;1973303 said:
3/1/22 (PM Update)

Didn't see how to edit my last post to add more, so I'll just add this now. I'll do a post a bit later outlining my general approach to training & diet.

Legs:
Hack Squats until I could barely walk
Seated Calves
Leg Extensions

Also spent some time watching some thicc cougars do deadlifts.

Ate 1.5lbs of beef for lunch. A few turkey sticks and garlic mustard for dinner.
Get those vision gains . I love watching girls/woman train hard. I'm the first to high five a chick when she hits a heavy ass set or single

Mentzerasf;1972374 said:
Need to cut, decided to create an accountability/progress thread on here.

About me:

5'11", 230-ish pounds. Lifetime natty, but am quite tempted by the dark side. At my heaviest I was just under 300lbs. Pre-Covid I was at my leanest, 193lbs, following a strict Carnivore Diet. Was doing a push/pull/legs split, going by feel with recovery.

Since then I've gone through a divorce and a career change. I've admittedly let that be an excuse and haven't been as dedicated as I should be.

Goals:
Document getting lean ASAP. Then lean bulk on first ever cycle (will def be soliciting advice).

Did push at the gym two days ago, will be doing tonight for pull. Will commence weighing food starting tomorrow.

Hey brother divorce is a valid excuse, it can be one of the most painful things a person ever goes through in their entire lifetime, cut yourself some slack and Ive known moe that one guy who’s identity was his work, so when you lose that, badabing bada boom life can be tough, you're here now and pushing forward so get after it, btw, the dark side is like the hotel California .... such lovely place but you can never leave lol

Training Philosophy
I used to train Max-OT (not sure if anyone remembers that program). It's a fairly low volume approach to training. 4-6 sets per muscle group, 4-6 reps per set. Full body broken up into a 5-day split Monday through Friday. Anywho, at my heaviest I was full time school, full time corporate middle manager, and new father. I didn't have time to train that much. I tried Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty because it was basically the only routine I found that fit into my schedule.

I trained Heavy Duty for a year. I dropped 90lbs in that time and was shocked that I had surpassed my previous bests on all my lifts, despite only training 15-20 minutes every 4-7 days. Since then, I've been a big proponent of High Intensity Training, although I no longer specifically train Heavy Duty.

I'm a big believer that consistency and confidence in a plan is often more important than specific sets and reps strategies. But for me, my personal preference and n=1 anecdotal experience has had the best results with 1 set to failure per exercise, very slow concentric and eccentric, and training to fucking failure.

- - - Updated - - -

HFO3;1973386 said:
Hey brother divorce is a valid excuse, it can be one of the most painful things a person ever goes through in their entire lifetime, cut yourself some slack and Ive known moe that one guy who’s identity was his work, so when you lose that, badabing bada boom life can be tough, you're here now and pushing forward so get after it, btw, the dark side is like the hotel California .... such lovely place but you can never leave lol
Thanks for the kind words. Between divorce and quitting a secure job to start my own business, it's been a hell of a last year.

3/5/22
Will update this in a day or two... been having some personal life issues. Going to take a few days, try and shake the cobwebs, then get back at it.

Back