• Hello, please REGISTER and become a member of our community! You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!

Ketosis brethren

SigRep

Registered Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Just wanted to see who all uses this diet/lifestyle. I'm a huge advocate. I've never lost visceral fat so rapidly as I did on Keto. It's also the only diet that satiates my appetite enough to cut effectively. Being flat can be a bummer, but once you're around 5% bf it doesn't matter. It's also the only diet I can manage to stay super low BF with for long periods of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

friendofzeus

Registered Member
Reaction score
i really like it, but i can't do it. i'm one of the few (under 1%) that are affected by psychosis when on a full keto diet for more than 3-4 weeks. i loved the results, but there were a few other smaller things that i didn't like as well, besides going crazy. bad breath, ammonia sweat were the main two, but the mental side of it i couldn't handle at all.

Jack Link

Registered Member
Reaction score
i really like it, but i can't do it. i'm one of the few (under 1%) that are affected by psychosis when on a full keto diet for more than 3-4 weeks. i loved the results, but there were a few other smaller things that i didn't like as well, besides going crazy. bad breath, ammonia sweat were the main two, but the mental side of it i couldn't handle at all.

Psychosis from no / low carbs........really?

Kyoshkin

Registered Member
Reaction score
Maybe that's my problem... My diet made me crazy.

I wonder if I can use that as a defense against a murder rap or something.

SigRep

Registered Member
Reaction score

I've heard about this. That's just bad luck man. I think a lot of people confuse the first week crazy withdrawal with that. Obviously have been on keto for over a month, your situation is completely different.

Guillotine

Registered Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to see who all uses this diet/lifestyle. I'm a huge advocate. I've never lost visceral fat so rapidly as I did on Keto. It's also the only diet that satiates my appetite enough to cut effectively. Being flat can be a bummer, but once you're around 5% bf it doesn't matter. It's also the only diet I can manage to stay super low BF with for long periods of time.

What version are you on? CKD? mCKD? Atkins (not true ketosis, but still low carb)? I've dabbled and liked it, but never gone balls to the wall on it, so any advice/recommendations would be good.

friendofzeus

Registered Member
Reaction score
Psychosis from no / low carbs........really?

It's a listed legitimate side effect of ketogenic diets, it just rarely happens

I've heard about this. That's just bad luck man. I think a lot of people confuse the first week crazy withdrawal with that. Obviously have been on keto for over a month, your situation is completely different.

The first time I actually stayed with it for 8 weeks. I just figured I had some other issues that were going on at the time or something. I didn't even look into it until it started happening again about 4 weeks into it.

SigRep

Registered Member
Reaction score
What version are you on? CKD? mCKD? Atkins (not true ketosis, but still low carb)? I've dabbled and liked it, but never gone balls to the wall on it, so any advice/recommendations would be good.

I don't do any cyclical at all. Stay in keto until I have to carb up for a show or the very occasional cheat day. Any carb up will take you out of keto and technically wastes a few days.

Guillotine

Registered Member
Reaction score
I don't do any cyclical at all. Stay in keto until I have to carb up for a show or the very occasional cheat day. Any carb up will take you out of keto and technically wastes a few days.

I thought the point of cycling keto was to keep metabalism up?

friendofzeus

Registered Member
Reaction score

once you body starts using fats consistently as the main source of energy your metabolism is fine. my buddy who's just into all around fitness has been on a ketogenic diet for years and stays well under 10% bf year round @ about 220, at 40 years old that's not too shabby.

Guillotine

Registered Member
Reaction score
once you body starts using fats consistently as the main source of energy your metabolism is fine. my buddy who's just into all around fitness has been on a ketogenic diet for years and stays well under 10% bf year round @ about 220, at 40 years old that's not too shabby.

wow. Good to know

SigRep

Registered Member
Reaction score

Seems counter productive in my opinion. Ketosis works best in my experience when left alone. All carbs will do in signal the release of insulin which completely halts fat loss. Great for filling out, but only for that. Some people think it makes you "feel better" but in reality you "feel" way better an more energetic when you body adjusts to keto. Switching back and forth only hinders the process.

CaRigger

Registered Member
Reaction score
@sigrep....... In your opinion how long do you think it takes for your body to go into the ketosis state? Also, do you ever check with the ketone test strips or have up been doing it long enough to just know.

jerseydevil

Banned
Reaction score
I LOVE the CKD diet. My body seems to be well suited for low carb. Sunday - Friday I only consume 20-30 grams of carbs per day. Friday I am still low carb, but then Friday night I have a high fat/high carb cheat meal. Usually Taco Bell. Then Saturday I carb up with 700 grams of carbs...... apple cider, fruit, Pop Tarts, pancakes and syrup, potatoes, white rice, and finish up with spaghetti and basil tomato sauce.

I've done this diet every spring/summer for the last 4 years and I am always satisfied with the results.

exerciseordie

Registered Member
Reaction score
Kinda want to give this a try....I have always just done basic lowering calories style diet.

SigRep

Registered Member
Reaction score
@sigrep....... In your opinion how long do you think it takes for your body to go into the ketosis state? Also, do you ever check with the ketone test strips or have up been doing it long enough to just know.

How long just depends on what you do to get there. If you literally eat zero carbs (not net carbs, not a few carbs, zero) and then do some HIIT training, you will likely be mildly keto by the next day, but for the average guy doing 30-40g carbs a day and just doing regular training if any cardio, maybe 3-4 days to be fully in. It's hard to say, but it certainly varies.

Get2daChoppa!

Registered Member
Reaction score
Just started SKD two weeks ago and about to switch to CKD next Saturday when I carb load. Been kinda a bitch fallin into ketosis and then staying there. Problem is protein. I'm so used to consuming a lot of protein that if I eff up one day I kick out. You know when you're in though. Head feels goofy, sweating for dumb reasons, piss smells funky. Going to stick with it though. Definitely have noticed my body changing and I like it. Going to start depleting big time this week for my first carb load Saturday.

Sent from the 36 Chambers of the Wu Tang Clan

Guillotine

Registered Member
Reaction score
I'm almost a week in, and headaches, lethargy, and hunger suuuuucccccckkkk. I'm also closer to 48/48/4 fat/protein/carb with under 30 carbs a day, and only getting like 1800cal in.

Get2daChoppa!

Registered Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Don't be scared about the fat. Too much protein intake and you'll fall out of ketosis. That's been my problem. I find when I take in coconut oil with my coffee in the am I hit my fats precisely day in and day out. Don't starve yourself either... Especially if you're training hard.

Guillotine

Registered Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but I'm running out of fats to eat. 4-6bacon for morning, and using ranch dressing on all beef/chicken during day, but myfitnesspal still doesn't seem happy.

i guess I can drink a cup of evoo.

Get2daChoppa!

Registered Member
Reaction score
My split is 70/28/2

Get2daChoppa!

Registered Member
Reaction score
Gotta add that coconut oil it'll push your fats up high. 2 Tbsp in coffee in the morning

nuttz51

I am a pothead
Registered Member
Reaction score
You guys are nuts. To me this seems like, the crossfit of diets lol.

I would feel like dying if I ate some of the macros you guys are talking about.

Guillotine

Registered Member
Reaction score
You guys are nuts. To me this seems like, the crossfit of diets lol.

I would feel like dying if I ate some of the macros you guys are talking about.

This diet was developed in 1920's as a treatment for epilepsy in kids. Still used today by dr

nuttz51

I am a pothead
Registered Member
Reaction score
This diet was developed in 1920's as a treatment for epilepsy in kids. Still used today by dr

Interesting...how long has it been used in the BBing scene?

theCaptn'

HIV+
Registered Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but I'm running out of fats to eat. 4-6bacon for morning, and using ranch dressing on all beef/chicken during day, but myfitnesspal still doesn't seem happy.

i guess I can drink a cup of evoo.

Man you need to hit a bulletproof coffee:

2 tbs of mct
1 tbs coconut oil
50-100g grassfed butter

Blended.... You can hit 1,000 cals easy and not have to eat for 6-8 hrs

Check out the links in my sig :)

Guillotine

Registered Member
Reaction score
Man you need to hit a bulletproof coffee:

2 tbs of mct
1 tbs coconut oil
50-100g grassfed butter

Blended.... You can hit 1,000 cals easy and not have to eat for 6-8 hrs

Check out the links in my sig :)

Ewww that's like 4 tablespoons of fat in one cup of coffee! I don't know if there is enough Splenda to make that go down!

also, since I dislike the taste of coconut, what other options are there? I know coconut oil is the new in thing, but I really dislike the taste to the point of spitting food out if made with coconut.

theCaptn'

HIV+
Registered Member
Reaction score
Ewww that's like 4 tablespoons of fat in one cup of coffee! I don't know if there is enough Splenda to make that go down!

also, since I dislike the taste of coconut, what other options are there? I know coconut oil is the new in thing, but I really dislike the taste to the point of spitting food out if made with coconut.

I add the CNO for taste. Cinnamon is a good addition, so is pure unsweetened cocoa.

And you're underestimating how much 50-100g of butter is, it's a very heavy beverage that takes time to get used to. You should maybe start with 20-25g butter.

Tastes better than you think, and the clean constant energy is off the chain :)