• Hello, please REGISTER and become a member of our community! You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!

I want to lose fat but not necessarily weight

Iron883

Registered Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I want to lose fat but not necessarily weight. Should I still be eating in a deficit?
So I’m about 242lbs and 6ft and that usually fluctuates by a few lbs every so often, which I’m ok with. I’ve weighed less than that before and I don’t like how it looks.
However, There’s definitely some areas that I would like to lose some fat in but My overall goal is to build muscle. Now I know the best way to lose fat is to be in a deficit but I was curious if maybe there’s a way to reach those goals without being in a deficit or just to hear about anyone who’s achieved that goal without being in a deficit. Thanks

Glycomann

Registered Member
Reaction score
Weigh all your foods. Once you know how many calories you use to maintain your weight replace some of your fats and carbs with protein to make up the calories. Protein is thermogenic and anabolic. Say you are eating 150 g fat (1350 cal), 300 g (1200 cal) carbs and 150 g protein (600 cal) = 3150 cals. Pull 50 g fat (9 x 50 = 450) and 50 g from carbs (4 x 50 = 200 cal). 450 + 200 = 650 cals: 650 /4 = 162.5 g of protein you can add whilst eliminating 50 g fat and 50 g carbs and still remain at 3150 total calories. Your protein intake goes from 150 g to ~312 g. The adjusted diet is more thermogenic and anabolic so with good training and rest you will lose BF and maintain or even gain some muscle.

Augustine5I

Carpet-Chewer
Registered Member
Reaction score
IMO when ppl talk about losing weight, they always mean “bad” weight or fat.

It’s hard Bc you have to be at a calorie deficit to lose “weight” and your body doesn’t understand that you only want the fat gone.

Go into too much deficit and the body will take from muscle too what it needs.

Tapping into the fat stores is tricky for that reason.

I think a slight calorie deficit of good foods is a good idea, but takes longer.

Fat burners help. Cardio helps.

Fasting is what some do (intermittently).

Keto diets can tap in fat stores as the calories your body uses are generally those from fat. Same as Atkins diet.

If it were easy, everyone would be ripped.

musclemaxx

Registered Member
Reaction score
Losing weight depends mostly on nutrition, being in a caloric deficit. Burning energy and getting more muscles (which burn more energy) helps. So basically any program that gets your heartrate up and you enjoy enough to stick to for a long time (multiple times a week) will do. And remember it takes time to see progress (you probably didn’t gain the weight in 6 weeks either ). If you really want to build your muscle more quickly, let's try Tongkat Ali from vital herbal, I've taken TKA for years but this Tongkat Ali with all the 'supportive cast' of additional great herbs makes this, hands down, the best I've ever had.

Vision

Team supervisor P.S.L.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would just focus on what the mirror says and scrap the scale, don't worry about numbers man.
Get a coach, Monte is an absolute killer with it.. Get on a plan and weight out all your portions, some meals will have carbs, some won't, it all comes down to nutrition-partitioning and getting your metabolism fired up.
I seen guys drastically change BODY COMPISITION and the scale hardly budged.

Don't get all hung up on numbers man, the scale is the biggest mind fuck, work on meals and true legit nutrition and TIMING, your adjustments in the kitchen will be the game changer.

Some fasted AM cardio will also be in your biggest favor, cardio isn't a fat stripper, its a metabolism ignitor, and from there it will partition nutrients from the rest of the day to where they need to be and go, especially if they are portioned with only what your body needs and the portions/timing of these specific nutrients is crucial, like very very crucial..

Don't just jump on cardio equipment slugging away either at random. You'll do little to nothing but tire yourself out. That too needs to be timed correctly and you don't need to do all out killer sessions.. Just moderate cardio (the correct ones) 3-4 times a week fasted will make a world of a difference.. Incline high speed walking, or even steppers for instances simply just 20mins in the AM will change body composition. If you have your meals timed with that during the day, you'll see crazy amazing results in just weeks.

millermax

Registered Member
Reaction score
Move more. Start counting your daily steps.
Progressively do more over time. Get a gym membership if you wish to put some muscle on your body. Once you're there, you'll at least do something. It can, and may, get much more involved than that. But let's learn to walk before we even think about running a race.

Geachem

Registered Member
Reaction score
A lot of people disagree with me, but I am a big cardio fan. I used to measure everything, but never anymore. But I do cardio 5 days a week. Get your diet on point and try this: Lets say you are doing back, after back I finish with traps and rear delts. I will superset shrugs (still use heavy weight) with rear delt lateral raises, one arm at a time. Do so with as little rest as you can stand between sets, preferably no rest at all. I will also do some rotator cuff exercises at the end so I get nearly 10 minutes of non stop training and my heart rate is pretty maxed out. I then go immediately to the treadmill and finish with 15 minutes or so of lower intensity cardio.

This is a great fat burning routine. I know, especially from a scientific perspective, that diet trumps all, but I swear I get significant fat reduction. All I do is eat clean and superset at the end of most of my workouts and I never get fat. I am also never really hungry either.

Of course drugs make a huge difference, but I only run 200 mg test/week and 3 iu's of GH (2 days on 1 off) and this keeps me fit. I don't always eat clean either.

I trained this way for 23 years..I did finally get rhabdo, but it was a week before I turned 60 and I was pushing REALLY hard.

I have also had great success with Intermittent Fasting.

Geachem

Registered Member
Reaction score
Also....if you are new definitely do what Glycoman recommends. I measured everything for my first 20 years or so, but not the last 26 years. My diet has become pretty instinctive.

Glycomann

Registered Member
Reaction score
Also....if you are new definitely do what Glycoman recommends. I measured everything for my first 20 years or so, but not the last 26 years. My diet has become pretty instinctive.
Your approach use to work for me when I was still grappling, running and weight training and eating clean. Same sort of approach only my cardio was different. I never weighed anything. It was instinctive. As I've aged I do much less cardio and that's where the weighing and note taking has helped. Also, it's amazing how little PED it takes to make a big difference when the diet and training is dialed in like you implied.

Geachem

Registered Member
Reaction score
Your approach use to work for me when I was still grappling, running and weight training and eating clean. Same sort of approach only my cardio was different. I never weighed anything. It was instinctive. As I've aged I do much less cardio and that's where the weighing and note taking has helped. Also, it's amazing how little PED it takes to make a big difference when the diet and training is dialed in like you implied.
Interesting you mention grappling. I originally designed my superset program as a way to train Mixed Martial Artists and grapplers. It was meant to simulate the demands of going 100% (say a scramble on the mat or a situation where a lot of punches and kicks are being thrown) and then a period where the action slows down.

As I have gotten older I stopped training in martial arts (at the age of 55....I am now 60) but I like to at least maintain a base of conditioning. I learned ( the hard way) that you can only train so hard when you get older. Make sure you are in good health before you try this type of training. I can't run at all anymore.

JD1155

Reaction score
Cardio and diet my brother. One of the best things I did was get a Fitbit years ago and that allows me to monitor my steps and how active I am. I shoot for 10k steps a day and on days I don’t do cardio, need to work for them. This has been great for maintaining muscle mass while slimming down. Not necessarily a “cut” but loosing some unwanted 40 year old fat

Glycomann

Registered Member
Reaction score
Interesting you mention grappling. I originally designed my superset program as a way to train Mixed Martial Artists and grapplers. It was meant to simulate the demands of going 100% (say a scramble on the mat or a situation where a lot of punches and kicks are being thrown) and then a period where the action slows down.

As I have gotten older I stopped training in martial arts (at the age of 55....I am now 60) but I like to at least maintain a base of conditioning. I learned ( the hard way) that you can only train so hard when you get older. Make sure you are in good health before you try this type of training. I can't run at all anymore.
We are the same age. I left the mat right around the initiation of the pandemic. Now I still do some drills and hit the bag, which are my favorite cardio activities but definitely can't burn like I use to.

Geachem

Registered Member
Reaction score
We are the same age. I left the mat right around the initiation of the pandemic. Now I still do some drills and hit the bag, which are my favorite cardio activities but definitely can't burn like I use to.
Interesting...my son caught Covid from his wrestling club. I was hitting the bag but now my shoulder can no longer take the extra work.

Glycomann

Registered Member
Reaction score
Interesting...my son caught Covid from his wrestling club. I was hitting the bag but now my shoulder can no longer take the extra work.
I rotate through different cardio. I couldn't hit the bag intensely every day at age 60. I pretty much hit it one or 2 days a week. Same with the grappling tree, same with the step mill. Step mill I could do every day and probably should. I had COVID a year ago. It sucked. Not vaccinated until a couple days ago due to a job change.

Geachem

Registered Member
Reaction score
My wife manages a medical facility and is a hypochondriac, LOL, so we are all fully vaccinated. My son's Covid was not bad at all.

Glycomann

Registered Member
Reaction score
My wife manages a medical facility and is a hypochondriac, LOL, so we are all fully vaccinated. My son's Covid was not bad at all.
I have worked in vaccine research for over 15 years. let me know if you want to discuss.

Geachem

Registered Member
Reaction score
Vaccine effectiveness? God, there were wars on that forever on social media. I am just going to step back and claim to know very little. What is your position on vaccines? Should I keep getting them?

Glycomann

Registered Member
Reaction score
Vaccine effectiveness? God, there were wars on that forever on social media. I am just going to step back and claim to know very little. What is your position on vaccines? Should I keep getting them?
It's not a binary. There are good ones and there are a few not so great ones. COVID19 was a perfect storm to expose a lot of weakness and fraud. if you take another one probably the best one on the market is the Novavax one but it is being sort of pushed to the side during the whole process to make way fpor the mRNA and Adenovirus vaccine platforms, which hold a lot of promise as far as revenue because they can be manufactured very quickly. Speed and safety, however, are two very different properties.

Geachem

Registered Member
Reaction score
OK....I am a wiz with HRT...but clueless about the vaccines...or what you were just talking about :ROFLMAO:

I just get what my wife tells me, HA!