• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

How much does missing the gym affect your day?

jozifp103

Board Rep
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Recently broke my hand. Been out of the gym for a couple weeks. I always went early in the morning before work. Since the very first day that I've been out of the gym my entire mood has plummeted. I even took the first couple days off work because I was like fuck everything. It's like I'm completely dependent on the gym to function. It's become such a part of my day like brushing my teeth that if I don't do it I feel like the entire day is a wash. So many decisions I make throughout the day are based around my goals. Like what I eat, if I should have some beers with my friends or co-workers after work, if I should get to bed early, etc. When I'm not in the gym I just feel like fuck it might as well eat like shit and live like a shmuck cuz what's the point of eating all this protein if I'm not working my muscles. It's such a mind-fuck lol.

Anyone else get this way?

Goth Kids GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Whenever I get sick I feel like the mood worsening is coupled with the fact that I'm missing workouts and it makes me feel even shittier lol.

I still eat the exact same since there's nothing else in my house other than meat, rice and spinach pretty much but yeah I feel noticeably shittier even on rest days compared to days I actually workout.

For me, the part that feels so devastating is the lack of progress, like I’m addicted to being better than I was yesterday. Now does injury, illness or whatever that pulls me away from that progress piss me off and sour my mood? Yup.

But attack what you can. If all you can do is walk on an incline, well then walk like a fucking maniac.

Progress is uneven, but keep moving forward and redefine “progress” for yourself.

Be frustrated, it’s normal. But go get after it and create a new challenge. Growth is as much a mindset as an action.

Yes, I hate when I’m forced to skip the gym and I hate even more when I have a bad workout, it can ruin my whole day if don’t hit my planned numbers 🤬

Broke my leg 2.5 years agoo,.missed gym couple of months. Lost all gains. Had to find inner strength not to get crazy. Well, water under the bridge now...
The worst workout is the one that did not happen, so I try not to mis a single one...

There's a ton of stuff you can still do with a broken hand. I completely ruptured a bicep so focused 100% on legs, core and conditioning and it made all the difference when I was able to lift again. I looked better in 2 months of resuming weights than I did before the injury.

Same, But I can help you, What people dont know is the cable machines or "sit down machines" in the 90s were for physical therapy. Somehow americans called that working out,
Keep a clean diet, and use the cable machines until you heal my friend. Something is better than nothing, obviously your goals will be set back from strength training, but fuck it ! do lean muscle tissue and therapeutic exercises to sustain. You would be surprised going light weight and squeezing the fuck out of your biceps will do with 15 lb dumbells and a good pump

Broke my hand before, never missed the gym.
I would go in and do quads one day (for like an hour), Hams the next day, Calves one day, shrugs in the standing calf-machine one day, machines where the hand wasn't needed (pec-desk where the pads are in your elbow bends, smith-machine squats, etc), then do abs, cardio, etc... Just did something each day without ruining my gym-routine too much.

The “If I can’t go to the gym I might as well go off the deep end in the other direction.” is the thing that makes so many people lose everything they have earned. Keeping at it and working around your problem AND staying with the lifestyle allows a bounce back…much quicker.

Branch Warren tore his quad. He kept on training everything BUT that leg. His body AND legs maintained symmetry and six months later he won the Arnold.

I was in a wheelchair with external fixation hardware, a completely fucked foot and pelvis but I rolled over to the gym and shifted from chair to machines. I still withered away but my overall recovery was eventually better and quicker because of it.

I am doing the same thing now with a nasty hamstring tear. Haven’t stopped my prep for a show 13 weeks out. I will just have to play catch up or have smaller legs. But I ain’t quittng.

IML Gear Cream!
I hate missing gym days - usually I give myself two days off at the end of training week. I’m 43 and I’ve been in the gym since I was about 16, so this is all I really got for myself outside of work and people

I just disappointed in myself when I miss. Especially if i over sleep or make up an excuse to sleep in. the worst part it takes me almost half the day till I’m moving without being stiff.

It seems we all are pretty similar when it comes to that. I have had a few issues the last few months which has caused me to miss the gym in bad days. I use the gym for stress relief and just an outlet in general. If i dont have a consistent week or weeks i get down on myself and moody. I also view myself differently fell sloppy and feel i look sloppy.

I'm at the point in life where I'm more upset if I don't get in a good healthy dump in the morning. Once took 8 weeks off for an elbow surgery, gained everything I lost back in a month. Once I accomplished that, I learned that missing a day or a week isn't a big deal. Was actually kinda nice not having the monkey on my back, I used to get pissed if I missed a day.

For me, the part that feels so devastating is the lack of progress, like I’m addicted to being better than I was yesterday. Now does injury, illness or whatever that pulls me away from that progress piss me off and sour my mood? Yup.

But attack what you can. If all you can do is walk on an incline, well then walk like a fucking maniac.

Progress is uneven, but keep moving forward and redefine “progress” for yourself.

Be frustrated, it’s normal. But go get after it and create a new challenge. Growth is as much a mindset as an action.
Thanks man that's the type of mindset that I need to have. You should be a life coach lol.
There's a ton of stuff you can still do with a broken hand. I completely ruptured a bicep so focused 100% on legs, core and conditioning and it made all the difference when I was able to lift again. I looked better in 2 months of resuming weights than I did before the injury.
I know I just have a shit attitude. Like if I'm gonna get up at the ass crack of dawn to make breakfast and go to the gym before work then I want to have a good fucking workout. I'm not gonna wake up early and go through my entire routine just to go the the gym and fuck around with light maintenance exercises. That's my attitude at least lol.
Broke my hand before, never missed the gym.
I would go in and do quads one day (for like an hour), Hams the next day, Calves one day, shrugs in the standing calf-machine one day, machines where the hand wasn't needed (pec-desk where the pads are in your elbow bends, smith-machine squats, etc), then do abs, cardio, etc... Just did something each day without ruining my gym-routine too much.
Any suggestions for hitting shoulders without using hands?
The “If I can’t go to the gym I might as well go off the deep end in the other direction.” is the thing that makes so many people lose everything they have earned. Keeping at it and working around your problem AND staying with the lifestyle allows a bounce back…much quicker.

Branch Warren tore his quad. He kept on training everything BUT that leg. His body AND legs maintained symmetry and six months later he won the Arnold.

I was in a wheelchair with external fixation hardware, a completely fucked foot and pelvis but I rolled over to the gym and shifted from chair to machines. I still withered away but my overall recovery was eventually better and quicker because of it.

I am doing the same thing now with a nasty hamstring tear. Haven’t stopped my prep for a show 13 weeks out. I will just have to play catch up or have smaller legs. But I ain’t quittng.
You're a better man than I. If I had to choose between a half-assed workout and catching up on sleep, I choose catching up on sleep.

Back