• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Hot plate suggestions

Warchild

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Looking to get away from doing the stove top method and am curious about hot plates with the magnetic stirring. Seems to be a pretty large divide on price point. I don’t want to spend $250 bucks on one if the $60 one does the same functions. Anyone have any suggestions or personal success/failure experience.

I suggest buying a used Corning or other legit lab brand off ebay. Safer and real lab equipment.

Those blue faced SH-2 variants are dangerous. I bought 4 and plugged them in. Even with switches all off one of them went supernova. I smelled it overheating first. The remaining three I only use for cool down stirring as all of them no longer heat and I disconnected the dodgy wiring.
My first Chinese one was 79-1 model and I still have it. Big but useful.

Still think a nasty looking used Corning is your best bet.

I suggest buying a used Corning or other legit lab brand off ebay. Safer and real lab equipment.

Those blue faced SH-2 variants are dangerous. I bought 4 and plugged them in. Even with switches all off one of them went supernova. I smelled it overheating first. The remaining three I only use for cool down stirring as all of them no longer heat and I disconnected the dodgy wiring.
My first Chinese one was 79-1 model and I still have it. Big but useful.

Still think a nasty looking used Corning is your best bet.

Thanks man, this is exactly what I was wanting to hear.

How hot do you need to go? If you want steady precision and don't want to go above boiling get a water bath circulator. They're used for Sous vide cooking nowadays and are less than $100 on amazon.

How hot do you need to go? If you want steady precision and don't want to go above boiling get a water bath circulator. They're used for Sous vide cooking nowadays and are less than $100 on amazon.

I am more interested in the magnetic stirring while keeping the solution warm. I have a really great sous vide so might give it a try just out of curiosity. Great recommendation

To busy to stir ?? I just think it's over kill brother . But that my opinion. I just use a metal stir and stir myself . The most important feather to me is the temp settings. Plus when you start buy real.stuff it draws attention

Last edited:
I paid under $60 bucks for my hot plate with a magnetic stirring rod and it works just as good as the top brands. It’s in storage right now but when I get home I can dig it out and post it up as I can’t remember the brand. But I’ve got a shit ton of chemistry glasswares in storage that I haven’t used in years.

The sous vide thing is a terrible idea. You don’t want water anywhere near an oil operation.

You definitely want a magnetic stirrer, and don't buy the cheap SH1, SH2 or SH3. SH4 is what you want or a nice used Fisher or Corning. 60 bucks ain't gonna cut it.

Pulled the trigger and bought one. 200 to 2000 rpm with top end 350C heating capability. 2 liters capacity with digital display for rpm and temp. Should be a nice addition for my science experiments.

IML Gear Cream!
350c!!! Ho Lee Fuk!

Pulled the trigger and bought one. 200 to 2000 rpm with top end 350C heating capability. 2 liters capacity with digital display for rpm and temp. Should be a nice addition for my science experiments.

Sounds like a good unit. 600 watts?

Back