Heavy weights

CoachCabo

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
What’s the drive for guys to lift more weight than is practical or that they can control?

I was watching guys throw weights around yesterday and doing so at a speed that said “I’m in a hurry!”
No one is in more of a hurry to get out of the gym than me, but I make my time as productive as possible.

I’ve never been that strong. At least never as strong as I might look. So I focus on strict, controlled movements and strive for that cliched “mind/muscle connection”.

I get the “Do you go to the gym?” (Duh) and the “How much can you lift?” questions all the time.
These as we know are idiotic questions by the uninformed.

But is this what Mr. Sloppy Form Plate Stacker is looking for? The opportunity to say “XXX pounds”?

Because aside from wearing a shirt that says “Yo, I bench 385 muthafuckas!” What’s the point?

I get it that one must increase weight when reaching a plateau or when the usual weights aren’t enough, but the increase has to be worth it.

I read many interviews back in the 80s and 90s with Vince Taylor and how he uses as little weight as possible to get the job done. IIRC, he curled with 35lb dumbbells!
So I adopted that concept early as I knew that I would never be a monster. Have never hurt myself in the gym.
Touch wood.

maxmuscle1

Board Rep
Reaction score
What’s the drive for guys to lift more weight than is practical or that they can control?

I was watching guys throw weights around yesterday and doing so at a speed that said “I’m in a hurry!”
No one is in more of a hurry to get out of the gym than me, but I make my time as productive as possible.

I’ve never been that strong. At least never as strong as I might look. So I focus on strict, controlled movements and strive for that cliched “mind/muscle connection”.

I get the “Do you go to the gym?” (Duh) and the “How much can you lift?” questions all the time.

But is this what Mr. Sloppy Form Plate Stacker is looking for? The opportunity to say “XXX pounds”?

Because aside from wearing a shirt that says “Yo, I bench 385 muthafuckas!” What’s the point?

I get it that one must increase weight when reaching a plateau or when the usual weights aren’t enough, but the increase has to be worth it.

I read many interviews back in the 80s and 90s with Vince Taylor and how he uses as little weight as possible to get the job done. IIRC, he curled with 35lb dumbbells!
So I adopted that concept early as I knew that I would never be a monster. Have never hurt myself in the gym.
Touch wood.

Every so often, as you know from my logs, I use a 3-0-3 tempo and going that slow in the positive/negative part of the lift, you have to use less weight and stay very controlled the whole time. It really tricks the body into think you pushing or pulling a very heavy load. I highly recommend it for people to learn that mind/muscle connection. You definitely have to use lighter weight to complete your rep scheme.

Max

CoachCabo

Registered
Reaction score
Every so often, as you know from my logs, I use a 3-0-3 tempo and going that slow in the positive/negative part of the lift, you have to use less weight and stay very controlled the whole time. It really tricks the body into think you pushing or pulling a very heavy load. I highly recommend it for people to learn that mind/muscle connection. You definitely have to use lighter weight to complete your rep scheme.

Max
Once you make that connection your training shifts considerably.
You’ll never learn it swinging heavy weights around uncontrollably.

Valcon

Registered
Reaction score

Touch wood.

So many times throughout the years I’ve seen these guys in the gym that like to brag about how much they can bench, and that’s mostly what they do is work chest; little legs, no abs, just a big chest and a hump in their back,

As far as heavy weights I do like to mix it up, always keeping a good form; like Max said you can take light weight and use it in a way that it seems heavy. Slow, strict, squeeze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxmuscle1

Board Rep
Reaction score
Once you make that connection your training shifts considerably.
You’ll never learn it swinging heavy weights around uncontrollably.

Agreed. There is a cheat style method but, I only see way advanced amateur/pro types using it and sparingly. I can lose concentration for a moment and hurt myself. Especially during Olympic style lifts. I am a big proponent of no momentum, slower lifting while flexing the muscle I am working at the peak contraction.

Max

CoachCabo

Registered
Reaction score
You are absolutely correct from my POV.

MGM

Registered
Reaction score
It took me forever it seems to get the mind - muscle connection but I've grown lots since I finally put it together . Awesome post Coach ! I feel like my worst connection is actually my biceps .

Joko123

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone has their egos wrapped up in the amount of weight they can lift. Or Atleast the people who throw around weight like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Augustine5I

Carpet-Chewer
Registered
Reaction score
"To get big, you have to get strong."

Arnold S.

I have always lifted heavy. Just always loved to push myself. But within a rep range of 6 to 10 reps.

If I couldn't go heavy in the gym, I think I might give up. Doing 35 pound curls would bore me.

Occasionally, I have done 1 rep max on the bench press. It really is pretty pointless, and just an ego thing I suppose. See how strong I was at a given point in time.

At my age, I know what my genetic potential is even on gear. Never going to bench 500.

Haven't tried a one rep max in some time. Not worth the potential injury.

xstarchildx

Board Rep
Registered
Reaction score
Throwing up weights with horrible form will do nothing but lead you to injury.

I agree 100% with your post.

Do you need to get stronger to get bigger? Yes, getting stronger plays a role in hypertrophy, but a somewhat indirect role. If you get stronger in the lower rep ranges, this will translate to higher loads in the hypertrophy rep ranges which will recruit more fibers, create a greater stimulus, and lead to more myonuclei being built.

The key is getting stronger while CONTROLLING the loads :)

CoachCabo

Registered
Reaction score
Vince Taylor and those weak ass arms. Lol!
I guarantee if I was training anyone, they sure as hell wouldn’t find any weight “boring”. I’d put a stop to that pretty quick.
Can’t tell you how many times over the years I have had guys HALVE their weights and be whimpering by the end of the session.

xstarchildx

Board Rep
Registered
Reaction score
Vince Taylor and those weak ass arms. Lol!
I guarantee if I was training anyone, they sure as hell wouldn’t find any weight “boring”. I’d put a stop to that pretty quick.
Can’t tell you how many times over the years I have had guys HALVE their weights and be whimpering by the end of the session.
Amen to that. I can make any weight challenging. The dudes who don't find something challenging aren't simply putting in the effort. Intensity > everything.