• Hello, please REGISTER and become a member of our community! You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!

Getting back in shape again, but lacking motivation

Pump's squeeze

Registered Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Almost everything used to take a backseat to my training. I peaked pretty quickly at 22 strength-wise after 3 years of natural training, reaching a 325 lb bench, 405 lb squat and 455 lb deadlift. Then I got a severe lower back injury, and could never really get back to my previous highs for anything that involved my lower back. I tried everything and nothing seemed to do the trick.

Then the pandemic came and my motivation fell off a cliff, stopped eating clean, ballooned to over 250 lb, close to 25% bf, but have lost 25 lb since. The only good thing I can think of is that my lower back feels the way it used to pre-injury after not having lifted for the last 2 years, except in bouts of a few weeks here and there.

I just can't find the motivation to push myself anymore. I've also noticed that my body isn't responding the way it used to in terms of losing weight. That may have something to do with the fact that I no longer train regularly, and the fact that I'm getting older (pushing 30). All I do is take walks and play with grippers (managed to close the 2.5 COC recently).

Any tips to get motivated?

wesley_swolle

Large Member 🍆
Registered Member
Reaction score
If looking in the mirror at 25% bf isn't enough motivation to get your training and diet back on track, idk what would be

Pump's squeeze

Registered Member
Reaction score
If looking in the mirror at 25% bf isn't enough motivation to get your training and diet back on track, idk what would be
It was, that's why I'm around 19-20% now. I did drop about 25 lb since last summer.

Vision

Team supervisor P.S.L.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Almost everything used to take a backseat to my training. I peaked pretty quickly at 22 strength-wise after 3 years of natural training, reaching a 325 lb bench, 405 lb squat and 455 lb deadlift. Then I got a severe lower back injury, and could never really get back to my previous highs for anything that involved my lower back. I tried everything and nothing seemed to do the trick.

Then the pandemic came and my motivation fell off a cliff, stopped eating clean, ballooned to over 250 lb, close to 25% bf, but have lost 25 lb since. The only good thing I can think of is that my lower back feels the way it used to pre-injury after not having lifted for the last 2 years, except in bouts of a few weeks here and there.

I just can't find the motivation to push myself anymore. I've also noticed that my body isn't responding the way it used to in terms of losing weight. That may have something to do with the fact that I no longer train regularly, and the fact that I'm getting older (pushing 30). All I do is take walks and play with grippers (managed to close the 2.5 COC recently).

Any tips to get motivated?
There really isn't any magic formula or words that will change things for you, it's a mindset.
If you continuously do what you are continuously doing, you're going to continuously get what you are getting.

It's easy to sit here and point out what used to be, what you can't do anymore and other handicaps, that right there falls back into the mentality that I'm speaking of. You are already setting up obstacles And putting limitations in your way. If you listen to yourself and read back what you said, you are the only limitation and Factor.
Everything that you have mentioned that set you back, is in the past, why you are allowing things and events that have passed to stop you from doing things you haven't even done yet, is it cognitive thought process that you need to break.

In order to get it done, you just have to get it done.. do the hard shit..

Either get highly motivated to make a change, or stay highly motivated with doing absolutely nothing.

It's this simple, just start where You are, and just do what you can... Don't beat yourself up over bullshit that you are no longer living or going through.
Just simply start where You are, in a few weeks you may not be where you want to be, but you certainly won't be where you used to be..

Multislacking

ASF MVP
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I have to ask, just due to your post history... Is this a legit question/thread?

Pump's squeeze

Registered Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I have to ask, just due to your post history... Is this a legit question/thread?
Yes, I've decided to become a serious poster for the most part.

Also this doesn't seem like a very amusing troll, plus no reason to brag about it.

Vision

Team supervisor P.S.L.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Also this doesn't seem like a very amusing troll, plus no reason to brag about it.
Just read the rules, and be aware that the pit is an entirely different world compared to the rest of the community.

wesley_swolle

Large Member 🍆
Registered Member
Reaction score
This is the exact reason why I didn't put a whole lot of effort into my first response

Pump's squeeze

Registered Member
Reaction score
There really isn't any magic formula or words that will change things for you, it's a mindset.
If you continuously do what you are continuously doing, you're going to continuously get what you are getting.

It's easy to sit here and point out what used to be, what you can't do anymore and other handicaps, that right there falls back into the mentality that I'm speaking of. You are already setting up obstacles And putting limitations in your way. If you listen to yourself and read back what you said, you are the only limitation and Factor.
Everything that you have mentioned that set you back, is in the past, why you are allowing things and events that have passed to stop you from doing things you haven't even done yet, is it cognitive thought process that you need to break.

In order to get it done, you just have to get it done.. do the hard shit..

Either get highly motivated to make a change, or stay highly motivated with doing absolutely nothing.

It's this simple, just start where You are, and just do what you can... Don't beat yourself up over bullshit that you are no longer living or going through.
Just simply start where You are, in a few weeks you may not be where you want to be, but you certainly won't be where you used to be..
That is a good mindset to have. I just need to set up a routine and follow through no matter what, it seems that the minute I start missing workouts, I completely stop training period. I'm also rather apprehensive at the notion of re-injuring myself. I guess I should avoid training to failure, and focus on form, and stick to moderate volume/frequency.

Multislacking

ASF MVP
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Fair enough...I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going down the primrose path here.

I can identify with 95% of your original post. The last two years have been a complete shit show for me and I basically did everything you described. I am just now getting back on track, but no where near the level of what I was doing before. I started with keeping the diet on point...and I do mean on point. No cheats, no slips. My plan is to keep that going until it starts to slow down and then increase workout activity to push through the usual cutting plateau. Baby steps, I guess.

Let me ask you this. Why did you start this lifestyle in the first place? Are those factors still there?

Pump's squeeze

Registered Member
Reaction score
Fair enough...I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going down the primrose path here.

I can identify with 95% of your original post. The last two years have been a complete shit show for me and I basically did everything you described. I am just now getting back on track, but no where near the level of what I was doing before. I started with keeping the diet on point...and I do mean on point. No cheats, no slips. My plan is to keep that going until it starts to slow down and then increase workout activity to push through the usual cutting plateau. Baby steps, I guess.

Let me ask you this. Why did you start this lifestyle in the first place? Are those factors still there?
Diet-wise, even in my heyday, I'd indulge in something here and there. Only time I wouldn't is whenever I wanted to go in the single digits which I've done on 2 occasions, but maintaining it was borderline impossible, and I'd inevitably binge and never look back. I get why you suggest following a Spartan diet, as it's very easy to go astray.

I started training at 19-20, I guess I wanted to look close to what the guys looked like in Pumping Iron. I wasn't delusional to think that I could be 6'3" 240 lb single digits or anything like that, even back then. I kept progressing on my own routine until the injury, afterwards I still kept getting a bit stronger on isolation movements but my compounds with the exception of my pull-ups and pressing movements would never really recover. I did peak at around 6'3" 200 lb 11% bf, or at least that's what the scanner had me listed at back in 2017. It eventually began to sink in that I wasn't going to look like Steve Reeves or whatever Casey Butt states is your genetic potential based on your bone structure.

So at that point, my aim was to get as shredded as possible and forget about size/strength. I dieted down to 170 lb, about 7% bf, losing a fair bit of strength and muscle mass in the process. Carbed back up to 180 lb and held that for a bit, but never did get back up to where I was pre-diet. Repeated this again the following year, and then the pandemic hit, and the rest is history.

j2048b

Registered Member
Reaction score
That is a good mindset to have. I just need to set up a routine and follow through no matter what, it seems that the minute I start missing workouts, I completely stop training period. I'm also rather apprehensive at the notion of re-injuring myself. I guess I should avoid training to failure, and focus on form, and stick to moderate volume/frequency.

What u need is a mind set shift, u need to shift away from “bodybuilding” to building ur supportive muscles around ur past injuries, its almost like adding in certain stretches and strength circuits to ur shoulders for mobility, strength and to help prevent injuries again

Maybe start it slow, work with some bent over good mornings, and ghr and even ghd machines, light weight etc

Then add a few other items such as tire flips and sledgehammer them tires etc…..

Too many people get into this marshmallow muscle phase where they want to be like cartmin “beef cake”

Instead focus on physique, slowly adding lean mass and look at longevity now

Bigjay73

Registered Member
Reaction score
When all else fails to motivate me to get my ass in the gaming, I remember the hordes of extremely hot women in yoga pants that will also be there.

zionoir626

Registered Member
Reaction score
I'm a little slower on the uptake(too many head injuries),but didn't you come out swinging,changing names and accounts..just causing havoc??

It means alot to me..
First..because you caused crap..
Second...because you came Clean..!

If I'm wrong..Im sorry but..If I'm right,you will have to earn some respect in my Book..
Z...