• Hello, please REGISTER and become a member of our community! You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!

Female Veteran Over 50

mzwim2016

Registered Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Greetings all,

I'm looking to get lean and strong. My hormones tanked about 3 years ago and I just started TRT. Any advice on a protocol to shred?

Multislacking

ASF MVP
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What kind of "protocol" are we talking about? Training, diet, drugs, all the above? What kind of diets "typically" work for you?

Edit to add: Diet is always the answer to losing weight.

wesley_swolle

Large Member 🍆
Registered Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I'm looking to get lean and strong. My hormones tanked about 3 years ago and I just started TRT. Any advice on a protocol to shred?
Is your trt doctor ordered/supervised? Also, what doses are we talking about?

Reactions: 220

Registered Member
Reaction score
You mentioned TRT, but are you replacing estrogen and progesterone as well?

mzwim2016

Registered Member
Reaction score
What kind of "protocol" are we talking about? Training, diet, drugs, all the above? What kind of diets "typically" work for you?

Edit to add: Diet is always the answer to losing weight.
All of the above. You are right about the diet. I just started monitoring my glucose levels and I feel so much better by keeping blood sugars in the normal ranges.

mzwim2016

Registered Member
Reaction score
You mentioned TRT, but are you replacing estrogen and progesterone as well?
I'm on 10 mg of cypionate a week along with progesterone. Starting to slowly feel better.

Multislacking

ASF MVP
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, I'm working with a doctor. I'm on 10 mg of cypionate a week along with progesterone. Starting to slowly feel better.

We're in the same age range, and I'm going to be honest with you. I like small gradual incremented changes in my regimen. If you just started hormone therapy, give your body a little while to adjust to it. Like 6 months or when you finally "plateau". At our age, our body doesn't handle the shock of a sudden and complete lifestyle change like it did when we were 20. Plus, we have the patience now (typically) to let things run their course until we know we need an additional change. If you throw drugs (and then extra drugs), diet, exercise and all into the mix at once it can actually be a setback at times. That's not to say you can't start eating smarter today or moving more today.

Post up your current stats and what your goals are (we don't know if you're looking at 20 or 120 pounds weight loss to get "shredded"). Also, post up what your current daily diet looks like. Do you have any underlying medical conditions like heart, high bp, etc? The more specific you can be, the better the responses will be.

wesley_swolle

Large Member 🍆
Registered Member
Reaction score
We're in the same age range, and I'm going to be honest with you. I like small gradual incremented changes in my regimen. If you just started hormone therapy, give your body a little while to adjust to it. Like 6 months or when you finally "plateau". At our age, our body doesn't handle the shock of a sudden and complete lifestyle change like it did when we were 20. Plus, we have the patience now (typically) to let things run their course until we know we need an additional change. If you throw drugs (and then extra drugs), diet, exercise and all into the mix at once it can actually be a setback at times. That's not to say you can't start eating smarter today or moving more today.

Post up your current stats and what your goals are (we don't know if you're looking at 20 or 120 pounds weight loss to get "shredded"). Also, post up what your current daily diet looks like. Do you have any underlying medical conditions like heart, high bp, etc? The more specific you can be, the better the responses will be.

In for complete stats as well... height, weight, goals, diet, training, etc

mzwim2016

Registered Member
Reaction score

Great advice. I'm being patient. My number one issue is my thyroid. My last blood tests showed levels in the "Low Normal" range. I'm 5'2 and 170 pounds. My goal weight is 130. Before the TRT and Progesterone, I was exhausted all the time, and working out made it worse. I finally have more energy and was able to work out (cardio and mixed cardio) three times this week. I'm eating low carb now and monitoring my blood sugar levels.

tommygunz

Registered Member
Reaction score
Keep it simple to start, it's easy to muddy things up with a long list of supplements. Give the test (10mg is a good starting dose) and progesterone some time to work and really focus on diet. A clean diet and cardio will boost your metabolism, lower end of normal thyroid value is ok. It's probably the last thing you want to mess with as it's very tricky, titrate up and titrate down and muscle maintenance is an issue as well. Lose some weight (and you will) then explore some other options later.
Good luck and keep us updated.

mzwim2016

Registered Member
Reaction score
Keep it simple to start, it's easy to muddy things up with a long list of supplements. Give the test (10mg is a good starting dose) and progesterone some time to work and really focus on diet. A clean diet and cardio will boost your metabolism, lower end of normal thyroid value is ok. It's probably the last thing you want to mess with as it's very tricky, titrate up and titrate down and muscle maintenance is an issue as well. Lose some weight (and you will) then explore some other options later.
Good luck and keep us updated.
Yes. Slow and steady wins the race. I'm feeling good and sleeping good so I'm able to do more cardio and focus on a clean diet. Hormone balance is definitely a big part of this journey for me.

Big Puppy

Registered Member
Reaction score
totally disagree with the thyroid dose. did your doc test - free t4, free t3, reverse t3? Thyroid dose needs to be optimized. I'm sure the doc is looking at tsh, as most do, and saying you're fine. you need to at least look at those values to judge your thyroid, and if it is low, it needs to be taken care if

mzwim2016

Registered Member
Reaction score
totally disagree with the thyroid dose. did your doc test - free t4, free t3, reverse t3? Thyroid dose needs to be optimized. I'm sure the doc is looking at tsh, as most do, and saying you're fine. you need to at least look at those values to judge your thyroid, and if it is low, it needs to be taken care if
I agree with you. Doc does not want to address low thyroid function, so I'm on the hunt for a new doc. It's frustrating but I know when all my hormone levels are optimized I will feel much better.

Augustine5I

Carpet-Chewer
Registered Member
Reaction score
My wife is 54.

Does occasionally use anavar.

But primarily .40 to .50 cc primo
Twice a week

Trains 4 days a week. Does cardio 4 days a week.

We just eat normal food.

She doesn’t even count calories.

I wish she would eat more protein…

Here is her yesterday, no filters or tan

f0ea9f4bcce21850132d4060acdda309.jpg

Point is, even in your 50s you can still look better then many 20 year olds.

Good luck, put the work in, and don’t over think it.