• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Favorite Way to Train?

DUTCHPHARMA

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
What is everyone's favorite method of training? There are powerlifters in here, bodybuilders, and folks that just want to look good naked. I am curious what approach you adopt and why? Let's share!

I am being vague but, 6 days a week schedule during cut, and 4 days during bulks. As far as weights. So many methods I use depending on what look/goal is.

Max

There’s a few different routines I’ll use throughout the year to switch things up but over all high intensity failure sets and progressive overload. Lower volume.
Right now it’s 4days a week. Chest/bis,back,shoulders/tris,legs. 4-5exercises 1set 4-6reps then a back off set. Both to failure.
arms get 2 exercises. When an exercise stalls for 2weeks I change it. I plan on sticking with this for the foreseeable future. I think people mess up by changing routines and exercises too often.

The fortitude training system is my new fav. I liked the push pull legs and bro split. But fortitude is kicking my ass and having fun with it. I like the muscle rounds the best, loading sucks balls.

I like to mix it up. High intensity cardio one day, lower another. I add lots of bodyweight exercises in with my weight training. I do heavy weight low reps some sessions, the opposite others. My idea is to never let it get stale and keep things fresh and never too structured, while building functional strength and agility for my bouncer job and a great beach body for my girl.

My favorite styles are Mountaindog and DC. My go to for quite a while was a bit of a mixture of the two. Now thatys changing a bit since I'm working with a good coach on here...

I've been doing my whole life what many call "Powerbuilding" I guess. (Power type training on the main lifts, w/ some hypertrophy work thrown in w/ it).

Template im using now is:

4-days, structured around 4-main lifts (SQ, Bench, DL, OHP) using Wendlers 5/3/1.
Then 3 assistance exercises after each main lift (Dave Tate "Periodization" style I suppose).
Also do a 5th Strongman type day (log lift, Viking Press, farmers walks, etc). 30-minute brisk walk thru hilly neighborhood for cardio each day w/ dog.

One hour cardio and single body part per day.

I really wish I was more educated on this but I usually do chest/tris, back/bicepts, shoulders/legs, chest/tris, and back/bicepts Mon-Fri. 4 sets for each lift and 16 per muscle group. nothing less than 6 reps and nothing more than 12 (except warm ups). I also do core and cardio 3 days a week. In spite of eating like a horse (fairly clean) it is hard for me to put on more than 10-15 pounds during a cycle, so I'm probably doing something wrong.

Been mixing it up a little as still can't get to a gym due to lockdown in the UK. So just mixing things up with super high volume at the moment and trying to get as much time under tension as possible. Also been looking into a 20x1 protocol which looks half decent.

Progressive overload circuit training. Minimal rest. Get that pump!

My fav methods are FBW and push, pull, legs. After an injury or long deload i usually use FBW for 4 weeks and than i switch to push/pull/legs.

Got back into 5/3/1.. or 351

I know the progression's a bit slow, but I'm finding out if I'm consistent with the eating and recovery ..it does a decent job.

Any other decent PL programs out there? I've seen quite a few, tried a couple. Just curious as to what some other folks are into

I always switch it up... Never the same thing. Might not work for everyone but does for me.

5x5 for first exercises. Then 10x10 german volume training. Near end of workout 3x20. End of workout back heavy 3x8. Finishing set 1x50 for burn out. Nice shock been doing for the past month. Do this workout with almost every muscle group.

Get Shredded!
I like do agonist and antagonist supersets. Chest@back, biceps@ triceps, shoulders@legs, traps@abs. Pick 3 exercises per mm group and pair them up antagonist to agonist. And do them where your doing the opposite direction and movement. As if you mirroring the exercise before it. On small mm group days as an active rest. This allows to hit all mom's twice a week and get HIIT cardio sessions in all week. It volume training. Excellent for endurance in cardio and muscular wise. Great fat cutter and toner.

I’ve always done a push, pull, legs style but recently started John Meadow’s Gauntlet program. I’m only a few weeks in but so far I’m really digging it.

Just started a powerlifting program and so far I’m really liking it. Haven’t trained this way in years. It was a natural progression though. Even my bb style workouts were focused on progressive weights. If I’m not getting stronger I never saw the point in going to the gym at all

i have a four week split

4 sets x 20 reps
GVT: 8 sets, 10 reps
negatives: 4 sets 12 reps per set, 3 second negative, 1 second postive
heavy. (12 reps, 8 reps, 5 reps, then 1 working set for 8-12 reps)

I typically do whatever mike ohearn says he has to be the biggest natural guy in the fitness scene. I think he gives great advice i am even thinking of buying one of those peanut butter shirts of his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6-7 days a week, 1hr each day and moderate weight/volume with emphasis on TUT ... seems to work well for hypertrophy for me at my age. Used to love more of a Powerlifting/Powerbuilding routing, but my joints just can't take it any longer and recovery just takes too long. I like to lift too much to have days off.

Super heavy, low reps and explosive motions with momentum gets me jacked and quick.

Also bothers my joints.

For legs, it works but also high rep squats blows my legs up, and I mean reps of 20-30 for example. But I will admit, I hate hate hate, high rep squats. Mentally I fail first.

Just like when I was competing in Strongman, there was this one event that always F*** with my head. It's called Conans Wheel and you use your forearms and you have to pick up a heavy weight and walk in circles with it. The furthest distance wins. This one pictured was from Californias Strongest Man and it was 2 ATV's, and it weighed 800lbs.

Like high rep squats, the second I begin it, I instantly regret it and just want to put it right back down. LOL

1909475_47160626450_7269_n.jpg

Lots of good strength methods just make sure that your not some big, strong useless lump with no conditioning no flexibility who cant do more than 10 pullups or clear a fence if he had to.

Last edited:
At the age of 50 and multiple major surgeries on knees and an elbow along with a torn pec I was able to bench a lousy 315x1 from a single with 405 just 5 years earlier...I changed my training mentality and did legs on Wednesday and all upper body on Saturday...I am now 61, fairly painless free and can still bench 315x1...on upper day I do 3 working sets of bench and pulldowns and 2 work sets of shoulders, biceps and triceps along with crunches...in and out in one hour...

6 days a week, or 5 depending on what my body is telling me. All compound lifts come first with isolation exercises/machines after.

Back