• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Do you old fuckers still squat?

IML Gear Cream!
45 y.o.a. I do them if I have knee wraps. Otherwise my left knee for sure would prolly just blow out. My max was 515lbs@185ishlbs but I never trained hard for legs... Yeah I'm that guy...

about 5 months ago I was doing 305lbs but I could have pushed more but didn't want to chance it. After listening to the wisdom of many of you around here...it aint about how much you put up for a max at our age. It's about putting up good quality reps. So I backed off heavy everything except deadlifts at the time as I was training to beat a state record. I was on track as I had pulled 505lbs and had 6 months left to train to get to 575lbs. The record was for 40-45 yoa Male @205lbs in my state. That got sidelined when an old neck injury finally cut loose. I am now able to start lifting again but I have to get epidurals every few months and do PT/chiropractic care for the foreseeable future. So starting next Monday I get back at but prolly will give up on any record chasing. Not worth it in the long run...

To those that have neck pain/injuries get you a "Stingray" it clips on the bar fits like glove to your neck/traps etc... My neck injury is at c4,c5 c6 t1 and t2... So I need something to spread the weight out.

To all of you still pushing and giving your best I salute you!!!!!

Last edited:
nope lol

I had one (only two visits) but they chased him outta town. Too bad too cuz he had that cryogenic set up that I wanted to try. One thing I hate about chiropractors is how they schedule you for your next appointment before your first one is even completed. It’s like a pyramid scheme …. But… I may have to bite the bullet and find me another one soon.

The ones that do that are worthless. A good one will typically get you going in one visit. Snap and crack. Ask them if they are "hands on" or prefer to use equipment. You want the "hands on" ones. Or ask them if they are good at the "side position adjustment".

I've had 6 shoulder surgeries, 42 Epidurals in the neck and back, wicked back and neck surgery after being literally hit by a bus, a hernia, I won't even continue.

I'm grateful to be alive and have refused surgery on the lower half.. Guess we're "too proud boys”! But it’s getting to me
Ouch man that's brutal...and yet you survived being hit by a bus. That means karma was on your good side.

That's about as me falling 3 stories and landing on packed dirt...cracking my neck and fracturing my skull plus all else then having a surreal out of body experience.

We both are lucky to even be here!

51 and still straight bar squatting with lots of health problems, arthritis and past injuries. Progressively going down hill tho, 405 a few years, 315 up until recently. Probably drop to 225 in near future. Just too many health problems to continue with heavy weight.

At 65 I still squat but no more than 225, every time I increase weight I get hurt, so I've done the math and stay safe. I don't have to impress anyone at my age
That's still darn good for 65.

45 y.o.a. I do them if I have knee wraps. Otherwise my left knee for sure would prolly just blow out. My max was 515lbs@185ishlbs but I never trained hard for legs... Yeah I'm that guy...

about 5 months ago I was doing 305lbs but I could have pushed more but didn't want to chance it. After listening to the wisdom of many of you around here...it aint about how much you put up for a max at our age. It's about putting up good quality reps. So I backed off heavy everything except deadlifts at the time as I was training to beat a state record. I was on track as I had pulled 505lbs and had 6 months left to train to get to 575lbs. The record was for 40-45 yoa Male @205lbs in my state. That got sidelined when an old neck injury finally cut loose. I am now able to start lifting again but I have to get epidurals every few months and do PT/chiropractic care for the foreseeable future. So starting next Monday I get back at but prolly will give up on any record chasing. Not worth it in the long run...

To those that have neck pain/injuries get you a "Stingray" it clips on the bar fits like glove to your neck/traps etc... My neck injury is at c4,c5 c6 t1 and t2... So I need something to spread the weight out.

To all of you still pushing and giving your best I salute you!!!!!
You mean a Manta Ray, I am considering purchasing one for myself as the "pussy pad" doesn't always help as my fracture is right where the bar would rest against.

You mean a Manta Ray, I am considering purchasing one for myself as the "pussy pad" doesn't always help as my fracture is right where the bar would rest against.

I remember those being advertised in the Muscle-Mags as far back as I can remember (1980's).
The Safety-SQ bar I got really helped with my shoulder and neck issues. Used it for the last year or two before the knee issues.
Really helps. (With the upper-body issues).

My wife still uses it each weeks for squats, so my purchase at least isnt a waste. I hope to use it again one day soon, even for just 135 lbs with a wrapped knee.

We got one for my wife awhile back. Bc she doesn't have a lot of "traps" for natural padding using the bar.

She hated it. It altered her squat too much and she prefers the padded roll we got.

We got it at Dicks sporting goods...so returning it wasn't an issue. No harm in giving it a try.

That's it... going off memory.... but IO swear by it. No pain...

Get Shredded!
We got one for my wife awhile back. Bc she doesn't have a lot of "traps" for natural padding using the bar.

She hated it. It altered her squat too much and she prefers the padded roll we got.

We got it at Dicks sporting goods...so returning it wasn't an issue. No harm in giving it a try.

Yeah it def is made for men/w traps more than women. Sorry it didn't work out for her, but I swear by it. When I use it some know what it is but a lot do not. So I say" Here try it"... I have sold a few for sure. Company prolly owes me some royalties or something..lol

The ones that do that are worthless. A good one will typically get you going in one visit. Snap and crack. Ask them if they are "hands on" or prefer to use equipment. You want the "hands on" ones. Or ask them if they are good at the "side position adjustment".

I would say that depends on the actual issue. In my case there was no way one visit was going to cut it. It took 25 plus 2 epidurals before the pain was under control. But your point is valid in many cases.

I remember those being advertised in the Muscle-Mags as far back as I can remember (1980's).
The Safety-SQ bar I got really helped with my shoulder and neck issues. Used it for the last year or two before the knee issues.
Really helps. (With the upper-body issues).

My wife still uses it each weeks for squats, so my purchase at least isnt a waste. I hope to use it again one day soon, even for just 135 lbs with a wrapped knee.
Thanks for that tip, I may also take a look at that Safety-SQ bar as well as hopefully will get to set up a gym in a large shed on my brother's gf's property. Praying I can get the shed purchased soon...

I would say that depends on the actual issue. In my case there was no way one visit was going to cut it. It took 25 plus 2 epidurals before the pain was under control. But your point is valid in many cases.

Yeah, I meant for the "oops, my back slipped out" kind of stuff. Not disk deterioration, severe trauma, etc. :winkfinger:

I'm 53, and my squatting days are over. I spend a lot of time on the leg press machine doing different techniques. I pyramid, and on my lows, I end up at 820lbs at the top of my pyramid for three sets of 8, then I come down. Then I do high foot placement, and I will say, my ass is sore for days after that. Usually healed up in time for my second leg day in a week.

52 and I use the hammerstrength squat machine… heavy.

The OP's issue sounds like a shoulder mobility issue rather than a squatting issue. OP, do you do a lot more pressing than pulling movements? If so, change that up and pull 1.5-2 times as much as you push on your movements, and get into some pre-hab stuff for your shoulder girdle and getting your hands on the bar for squats will be a lot easier.

IMO, everyone should squat if you don't have a knee or lower back issue

I have to use the squat machine but with it I still can handle a lot of weight. The machine at my gym goes to 400. Its a stand up, not the half laying down type, which is pretty much a real squat. The key is the long back pad that I lean against on the machine, without that it would be no-go. Gotta find the right machine, and then squat all you want. I have a great routine where I squat, run the 1\8 track, and repeat squat, until I'm blasted. Couldn't do that with a barbell and rack.

48. and the safety squat bar is the shit. I was was able to continue to squat after elbow surg with a cast on. Thats my goto bar for squating. it puts the weight more forward, so more like a front squat. Its great. squating high 400's and still building.

46 here, no injuries, hated squating untill I used the safety squat bar, thats all i squat with.
Lately i have been using the pendulum squat machine and is working great.

IML Gear Cream!
I don’t even use free weights anymore, machines only. Here is a tidbit, Phil Heath while winning the Mr. O’s said he trained 90% on machines.

9 Months with the knee pain, Ive also been using BPC and TB500 for a few months and its been feeling better.

So good on SUN I decided to "try" some squats. (Test some things out, pain, etc).

-Couple sets of bodyweight squats.
-Couple sets w/ bar-only.
-Couple sets w/135.
-Couple sets of 225x5.
-Couple sets w/ 315x3.

Of course I wrapped them after the 135 sets, but it was pretty painless and felt good (and since).

I did this on SUN, and normal Leg day was on MON where I did leg-presses and all the other machines I use (curls, extensions, calves).
I will continue to try this and hope that things are improving. Not really pushing it, just using it...

Can you guys that use the safety squat bar post up a picture of the precise bar that you use…. I’m looking to add to my gym collection and kinda want to try this thing, just want to see what ones y’all have used with success.

Can you guys that use the safety squat bar post up a picture of the precise bar that you use…. I’m looking to add to my gym collection and kinda want to try this thing, just want to see what ones y’all have used with success.
Sorry for the crappy pic Milf, but this thing is a pita to photograph.
I snagged my SSB in May of 2020, when the world went batshit crazy.
It's made by New York barbell, but I ordered it from Amazon for $325 including shipping.
ed6b38302c1a6353466efd83b6f20c76.jpg

I always warm up with 4 sets of 10 reps at 225. Cut my teeth on a bare bones prison weight pile and love squats and stiff leg deads to start a leg workout. I load up on the sled or hack squat machine to save my lower back. 47 BTW

Attachments

• ssb.JPG
    ssb.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 10
  • gym.JPG
    gym.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 13
  • gym2.JPG
    gym2.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 12
54, had a hip replaced 2 years ago this coming January, still squatting, I try to warm up really well and do sets of 20, it’s been an adjustment, but I think squats are the answer to most issues in life, fingers crossed that I don’t wear out anything else

52 No real injuries, still squat a few times a week, but not heavy like when I was power lifting -- never less than 10 reps a set. I benefit from longer warmups and need sleeves in the winter to keep the knees warm between sets.

Back