• Hello, please REGISTER and become a member of our community! You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!

Bro split vs push, pull, legs

dosborn

Registered Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
My trainer provider me with a workout that is a push, pull, leg routine. I have always done a bro split. I was wondering your guy's opinion on the good and bad of each. I kind of like the push, pull, leg routine because I'm hitting may body parts more often, but I'm in the gym much longer now.

Shotta609

Registered Member
Reaction score
Back , bis is pulling, shoulders, tri, chest pushing and legs separate

Shotta609

Registered Member
Reaction score
I always did back and biceps together, when you work your back you work your biceps so doing biceps I just finished with negatives or concentration curls

Shotta609

Registered Member
Reaction score
Chest works shoulders also so no need to do bunch of shoulder presses, raises, shrugs after chest should be good, maybe 2 sets of Tricepts, all that pushing will work your triceps so finish them off with negatives that what I do anyway

beastmode1985

Registered Member
Reaction score
i do a arm\delt ..... back \lat,,,, chest shoulders , and legs ,, im at the gym about 1 to 1.30 hrs , and i take 2 days off in a row, i do my arms and delts,, then the next day do legs , than the next chest, and than back,, ,, ive done this for awhile now, and it works for me ,

Augustine5I

Carpet-Chewer
Registered Member
Reaction score
I do something a little different to compromise the two.

Saturday: quads and hamstrings.

Sunday: chest. Hip abductors and adductors. Hip extensors.

Tuesday: shoulders and tris

Thursday: back and biceps. Gastrocnemius and soleous muscles.

So I do bro splits with a little legs.

And just a leg day.

I am not a fan of push pull legs. But do what works for you!

chadmack282

Registered Member
Reaction score
Alot can depend on what u do for a living. if u have been on a hot job sight all day on your feet non stop there is no way u can train chest, shoulders, & tri's with hi intensity.

Jbswole40

Board Rep
Reaction score
Alot can depend on what u do for a living. if u have been on a hot job sight all day on your feet non stop there is no way u can train chest, shoulders, & tri's with hi intensity.
That's the truth,chest,shoulders,tri hard to get in somedays..I do alot of shoulder work so I changed my schedule lately
Chest&tri
Quads&calves
Back&bi
Shoulders &ham/glutes
Throw in ab work & cardio on off heavy days.
Whole day off when I feel I need it....works for me.i do switch up training every few months.

dosborn

Registered Member
Reaction score
I do something a little different to compromise the two.

Saturday: quads and hamstrings.

Sunday: chest. Hip abductors and adductors. Hip extensors.

Tuesday: shoulders and tris

Thursday: back and biceps. Gastrocnemius and soleous muscles.

So I do bro splits with a little legs.

And just a leg day.

I am not a fan of push pull legs. But do what works for you!
Yeah, I sit on my ass all day.

0zarks2

Registered Member
Reaction score
I started PPL about a year ago. Wish I would've done it sooner. My workouts don't take any longer than they used to.
I just don't do as much volume. I crank up the intensity for fewer sets. Think "stimulate", not "annihilate".

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Augustine5I

Carpet-Chewer
Registered Member
Reaction score
I started PPL about a year ago. Wish I would've done it sooner. My workouts don't take any longer than they used to.
I just don't do as much volume. I crank up the intensity for fewer sets. Think "stimulate", not "annihilate".

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, how many sets are you doing for back now as compared to before?? When you “annihilated” them??

And are you getting stronger? Making gains over time???

Thx

Dudemancam92

Reaction score
Personally I grow more with ppl. When I do a bro split, my muscles don’t feel full at all a week later. Ppl keeps me looking more full. That’s why I like it so much. I only switch to bro when I feel like I need a change. I’ll only do it for a few weeks before I get too annoyed at my appearance. As soon as I switch back to ppl I can tell the difference in the mirror. Nothing better than the push day pump

who1

Registered Member
Reaction score
ido3on1off3on2off it works great for me as i feel rested.

who1

Registered Member
Reaction score
quality is better than quanity...............

Gc316

Registered Member
Reaction score
Day 1 - chest abs triceps
Day 2 - legs
Day 3 back and biceps
Day 4 - shoulders
Day 5 - legs
Day 6 - chest
Day 7 - back
Day 8 - Delts and arms

Rest days are put when needed

Milford King

Twat Waffle Inspector
Registered Member
Reaction score
I combine shoulders with legs. Doing shoulders on chesticle day is just asking for injury (for me).

Day 1 ; shoulders/legs
Day 2 ; chest/biceps
Day 3 ; cardio/core
Day 4 ; back/triceps
Day 5; leg pump
Day 6; back/chest pump
Day 7; cardio/core (arm pump)

808Pump

Registered Member
Reaction score
Ppl seemed like more a beginner program. When ur more advanced bro split is better imo. Ppl I feel I wasn't able to control the volume, example doing too much on that day. I switched back to muscle splits and like it alot more I do feel like I'm getting better results w bro split then ppl

Jbswole40

Board Rep
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Ppl seemed like more a beginner program. When ur more advanced bro split is better imo. Ppl I feel I wasn't able to control the volume, example doing too much on that day. I switched back to muscle splits and like it alot more I do feel like I'm getting better results w bro split then ppl
I did plp for a while as intensity n volume increased. Needed a change.just changed my split up,decided needed to break some groups up little easier on joints etc,and rest better,so as this week,after a brief deload.
Legs
Chest/biceps
Off
Back
Shoulders/tri
Off and repeat.
20-30 min cardio ed,ab work 3days week.

Montego

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ppl is by far the easiest and most effective way for your average guy to put on size.

Frequency and intensity rule all.

Milford King

Twat Waffle Inspector
Registered Member
Reaction score
PPL has its place for sure. Especially for gym rats that have busy life schedules.

I must admit, I’m a bro split kinda guy tho. I love being able to focus on a muscle group, exhaust it with high volume workouts and add in uncommon or seldom used movements on the fly.

I hate cardio but I know the importance so my bro splits are usually high intensity and time under tension oriented considering my rests between sets when I’m in bro split mode are very short. I usually set my home gym up so that I move between different movements in succession. And rest between “rounds”.

I like it and definitely see more consistent and motivated workouts when I utilize bro splits.

PPL, for me, is highly effective at getting back into the swing of things after a long hiatus. Get the soreness out of the way quicker and easier to get things done around the house because of more “off” days. I, however, often do PPL on a 6 day schedule. When I’m dialed in anyway.

chadmack282

Registered Member
Reaction score
it all fkn works but what do u enjoy so u have commitment, regularity & intensity.
what ever you personally like is gonna work better for u bcs u like it.