• Hello, please REGISTER and become a member of our community! You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!

Body Fat %

FM19

Registered Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Hey guys, figured I'd post this ... have a BIA measurement device and been trying to get down to 10-12%. Was around 18% over the winter. Currently showing 15.9% (5'7" around 170lbs), but guessing there's a margin of error around 2% or so. Not that it matters really as I'm happy by what I see in the mirror, but figured I'd post my BIA% with some pics for reference. Curious if others have special devices they've found to be more accurate.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 72

GYMnTONIC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bodyfat is probably more argued then PCT regimens.

If you want an argument on a bodybuilding forum,post a photo and estimate your BF %. All the assholes will come running to fight you.

Anyways you look amazing. You are not 15%. You are lower, though I will not make an estimate as I do not wish to fight and argue with the Bodyfat Libtardz as I hear they are called.

Phill

Board Rep
Board Rep
Reaction score
have you tried on a scale?
has the electrodes only under your feet?

FM19

Registered Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments! Diet is going well, so have had good progression. Phil, yessir, the BIA device is measured under my feet. Agree Wes, lol lots of opinions on this topic.

Phill

Board Rep
Board Rep
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments! Diet is going well, so have had good progression. Phil, yessir, the BIA device is measured under my feet. Agree Wes, lol lots of opinions on this topic.
if the scale has only two electrodes under the feet, the current rises in one leg and falls in the other.
only the legs are actually crossed by the current and actually tested for the bf calculation.
The whole part above, from the groin up, does not pass the current and the bf is only estimated through the proprietary calculations of those who built the scale.

The scales with the electrodes also in the hands, work much better because the current has more points of passage also in the upper part of the body and not only in the legs

Phill

Board Rep
Board Rep
Reaction score
with a more accurate balance, a body like yours ... I say you are between 6 and 8% of bf.

unfortunately all the calculations they make to estimate the bf are made for average users, not sportsmen.
if you have a high bmi, the scale will "think" that you are obese, not muscular.

if you have the possibility, perhaps at a doctor or in the gym, to use a scale with more electrodes, you will find out how inaccurate the home scales are

Seattlesbest

Registered Member
Reaction score
You look pretty low. I'd say 11.7. Or maybe you got a big gut under thoes abbs, 😂. Maybe that ass is phat as hell to. Never know.

Adrenolin

Bad Daddy
Board Rep
Reaction score
Your core is definitely lean whilst it appears your chest holds a little more fat...hard to say without seeing back and legs, how's the fat distribution through those parts? Guesstimated 10% from the pics given. A 7pt caliper test would likely be more accurate then a scale.

Skinnyguy180

vv mine
Registered Member
Reaction score
I wont put out an estimate but you are not 16% unless you are hiding several pounds of fat in you legs.

muay thai

Registered Member
Reaction score
10-12% max, everything is peeled besides pecs, you look sick bro good work! p[rops

FM19

Registered Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Learned something new with the scale electrodes! My legs are probably my leanest, even over my arms. I do hold most of my BF in my chest due to pubescent gyno that I'll get cut out one day. I've never been able to reduce the BF on my outer chest ... so hoping if I drop a bit more, it'll happen. But may need the gyno removed since its a magnet for adipose tissue.

HFO3

NO LIMITS.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
without seeing a full body pic with your legs and all its impossible to guess accurately, you look mean and lean to me, and you're happy with your work so thats what really matters. Great Job FM19.

JJB1

Board Rep
Board Rep
Reaction score
You look great!

doichtoro

Registered Member
Reaction score
My BIA device is routinely 4% above a DEXA scan.

chadmack282

Registered Member
Reaction score
10% if your back & legs r consistent to abs.
come on haters tell me i am wrong,🤔🤔

flyingmoose

Registered Member
Reaction score
There are a few studies that have compared the BIA scales with DXA and other means. The TL/DR is that they are fairly accurate for the population in the middle of the bell curve. For people with very high or very low body fat or very high muscle mass, they are less accurate. They overstate bf in lean cohorts and understate in high bf cohorts. If you have a scale with an "athlete" mode, you should be using that, as it will skew the results towards a more lean/muscular person.

I find they are useful for looking at the delta over time and for tracking hydration. I try to take my readings at the same time every day and hopefully around 50% water. If I'm over hydrated my bf will show low by 2-3%. If only it were that easy. Conversely if I'm a little dehydrated my bf will read high. I'll disregard those results and stick to using the ones from 49-51% BW. Knowing how they derive the bf% is crucial. The electrical impedance that is measured is applied to formulas that take into account your age, height, and weight. Since it is normal for your weight to fluctuate by +/-5lbs, this will effect your bf readings as well, although to a lesser extent than the body water. So again, good tool for tracking progress over time, bad tool for trying to get an accurate measurement on a given day.

By the way, I've found some Groupons for really cheap DXA scans. I try to get one once or twice a year.

Capthowdy87

Registered Member
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Definitely under 15% lol I’d say 9-10?? MYbe less !! It’s harder to tell in pics how lean you really are too. In person you might look leaner .
You look awesome btw ! I’m trying to get that fuckin lean and beyond !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parker2020

Registered Member
Reaction score
I’d be curious to know why it thinks you are 15%. Lookin closer 8-9 imo

Augustine5I

Carpet-Chewer
Registered Member
Reaction score
Read a long time ago you can’t see abs unless you hit 10%

IMO you are easily at 10 or less.

Look great.