Is this a stupid idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Rep Points

Is this a stupid idea

I plan on doing some home brewing and using my small office I plan to put clear plastic to enclose an area to brew in, to keep the air clean I was thinking of getting a Merv 15 hvac filter and taping it to a box fan at low speed I saw a video where a lower rating lowered the air particles 90%

could this work in place of a flow hood?

I plan to buy a ream of sterile unsealed vials and leave them upside down until I grab one to fill, and Im obv. Going to use all the other sterilization techniques and make sure everything is sterile

using syringe filters into sterile vials is a pain

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    Rep Points

I think this is over thinking...

Buy sealed sterile vials and filter into them. Or decrimp/recrimp if you sell or need a finished looking vial when done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,202 Posts
    Rep Points

People and their "room particulate" obsession....
    If you do anything, get some sort of laminar flow thing going. DIY shit is rampant on YouTube and the internet. I just bought a 2'x2' filter on eBay for $200. Build a box and get a blower fan like one of those carpet dryers and you are miles ahead of most home brewers. Build on you system from there. I used to buy presterilized vials but they became too expensive. I now buy pre washed, ready for sterilization packs of 179 for $60. Open them in front of the laminar flow, put in oven bags in numbers useable to you and bake this bitches at 400f. Good to go.

If you buy sterile vials and open them to atmosphere, you have already inoculated them with whatever is airborne. Waste of money without some sort of HEPA laminar flow.

EL PUFFO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Rep Points

Go with the laminar flowwwww, maaaaaan.

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    Rep Points

Few decades ago there were no disposable syringes.

They were all glass and re-usable.

Family doctors and nurses would boil them and they were good to go.

I cook my vials in a pressure cooker, then rinse with alcohol, stoppers too. Then put them in a pouch of aluminum foil and into the oven until dry. Close them while still hot. Secure stoppers with tape and filter into vial. Crimp vial then back to the pressure cooker for 20 minutes. Never had issues.

EL PUFFO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEX View Post
    Few decades ago there were no disposable syringes.

They were all glass and re-usable.

Family doctors and nurses would boil them and they were good to go.

I cook my vials in a pressure cooker, then rinse with alcohol, stoppers too. Then put them in a pouch of aluminum foil and into the oven until dry. Close them while still hot. Secure stoppers with tape and filter into vial. Crimp vial then back to the pressure cooker for 20 minutes. Never had issues.
    A few decades ago a lot more people died of sepsis, too. But yeah, youre essentially triple-sterilizing yours, so theyd be good to go

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CoachCabo View Post
    People and their "room particulate" obsession....
    If you do anything, get some sort of laminar flow thing going. DIY shit is rampant on YouTube and the internet. I just bought a 2'x2' filter on eBay for $200. Build a box and get a blower fan like one of those carpet dryers and you are miles ahead of most home brewers. Build on you system from there. I used to buy presterilized vials but they became too expensive. I now buy pre washed, ready for sterilization packs of 179 for $60. Open them in front of the laminar flow, put in oven bags in numbers useable to you and bake this bitches at 400f. Good to go.

If you buy sterile vials and open them to atmosphere, you have already inoculated them with whatever is airborne. Waste of money without some sort of HEPA laminar flow.
    Well my thinking really was to turn the 5x4 area into a flow hood basically. Now correct me if Im wrong but basically the flow hood is just blowing filtered air over your work area and over your vials so I was figuring using a Merv 16-20 filter and a box fan would be the equivalent, it would just be filtering all the air from the small space rather then just what Im working over and this would not have to blow air over my work

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEX View Post
    I think this is over thinking...

Buy sealed sterile vials and filter into them. Or decrimp/recrimp if you sell or need a finished looking vial when done.
    Not selling, personal use only just want a decent sized stash of gear I know is dosed proper and clean. So are you suggesting buying already sterile vials and go from receiver bottles to sterile vials via a 60ml sterile syringe, wouldnt this be opening the sterile oil to the air?

EL PUFFO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Raped Ape View Post
    Well my thinking really was to turn the 5x4 area into a flow hood basically. Now correct me if Im wrong but basically the flow hood is just blowing filtered air over your work area and over your vials so I was figuring using a Merv 16-20 filter and a box fan would be the equivalent, it would just be filtering all the air from the small space rather then just what Im working over and this would not have to blow air over my work

Not selling, personal use only just want a decent sized stash of gear I know is dosed proper and clean. So are you suggesting buying already sterile vials and go from receiver bottles to sterile vials via a 60ml sterile syringe, wouldnt this be opening the sterile oil to the air?
    youre kind of wrong

it doesnt simply blow filtered air over your workspace. It actually controls airflow in your workspace to create an air barrier between the area outside the hood and the area inside the hood (laminar flow) or to ensure that the pressure inside the hood is higher than outside, so that contaminated air goes out, but in a controlled way - you dont want a blast of filtered air pointed at your product, because its virtually impossible to remove 100% of contaminants and particulate from the air. Generally in a flow hood the airflow over your workspace itself is close to nonexistent, and the air instead flows over the front and/or back of the hood (depending on the type of hood).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,202 Posts
    Rep Points

Put HEPA filterS over the entire wall of a room and put a massive blower forcing air through them. Now on the opposite wall have a open area slightly smaller in surface than the HEPA wall with basic high grade furnace filters. You room is now a "hood".
    Honestly man, don't be trying so hard to figure out what has already been done a thousand + times.
    You can google diy laminar flow but here's a link to a super simple and economical solution.

http://freshcapmushrooms.com/learn/k...nar-flow-hood/

BTW, I just bought a 3' bad ass proper hood for $300 from a university surplus. I don't need it but at that price I couldn't resist.
    Attachment 33025
    (Fuck me if I can't figure out this pic posting thing. I used to just attach, then that stopped working. This image is 750x750 pixels. That's too big?!?)

EL PUFFO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Rep Points

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,202 Posts
    Rep Points

You laughing at me bro?

EL PUFFO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Rep Points

You laughing at me bro?
    I would never do that to you, my sister from another mister.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Rep Points

Put HEPA filterS over the entire wall of a room and put a massive blower forcing air through them. Now on the opposite wall have a open area slightly smaller in surface than the HEPA wall with basic high grade furnace filters. You room is now a "hood".
    Honestly man, don't be trying so hard to figure out what has already been done a thousand + times.
    You can google diy laminar flow but here's a link to a super simple and economical solution.

BTW, I just bought a 3' bad ass proper hood for $300 from a university surplus. I don't need it but at that price I couldn't resist.
    Attachment 33025
    (Fuck me if I can't figure out this pic posting thing. I used to just attach, then that stopped working. This image is 750x750 pixels. That's too big?!?)
    i guess that gives new meaning to Im from the hood

ok im starting to understand a little more now, now youve got me thinking. By the time Im done Im gonna have a nicer setup then most UGLs for 50 vials

- - - Updated - - -

Attachment 33025
    i guess that gives new meaning to Im from the hood

ok im starting to understand a little more now, now youve got me thinking. By the time Im done Im gonna have a nicer setup then most UGLs for 50 vials

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Rep Points

You can diy a flow good on the cheap and not have to worry about making a sterile room. You have to remember that that room has dust and any time you stir up dust it will be inside you air space and blown through the air .

I buy unsterile bottles and stoppers and use dry heat only . Buy a 100.00 toaster oven . Wash the vials , stoppers in alachol . Put open side up on a cookie sheet . 250for 1 hour . I read a study where this temp for a longer time killed more microbial bacteria. Transfer to your flow hood covered in a sterile sheet from any medical supply and there you go.

Always remember that water is full of germs . We can injest them but you cannot inject them . Boiling your vials is an old and outdated way to do things . I would never subject my hormone in a vial to the temp inside a pressure cooker either . Who knows what that will do to it . If everything else is done right there is no need .

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,129 Posts
    Rep Points

Attachment 33025
    That's funny, he used Novatek Novair 2000 air scrubber filters, I have those units already that I use for remediation. Although mine are setup as negative air instead of positive in a flow hood.