Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

Carb Cycling...

I've never tried a carb cycling. I would like to try this if anyone
    would care to share some great resources with exactly how to
    do this for both bulking and cutting / maintaining.

I am really good at staying on track with my diet and I've stuck
    to the basic 40-40-20 for a long time and only have my cheat
    meals once every couple of weeks if that. When you eat clean
    for so long and learn to cook / create meals I find there is no
    reason for cheats or less desire to cheat now.

My only weakness... Hot Wings

Fall is coming and I would like to try this out while doing a lean
    bulk. Is this good practice to follow? I hear by confusing the
    body in this matter it is great for either breaking plateaus or
    keeping the momentum moving in a positive matter.

Thanks for any input in advance,

JohnyB

Super Mod McBain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by JohnyBGood View Post

JohnyB
    I personally don't like carb cycling for bulking, even lean bulk. It's great for cutting or trying to recomp while on gear though.

But, if that's your plan, it really depends on what your lifting schedule/program is like. It would be helpful to know what you train, how hard, and what days in order to best devise in a carb-cycling plan.

If you want to get really simple about it -
    -Off days = low/no carbs, high protein, medium fat
    -Hard training days = high carbs, high protein, very low fat
    -20%/+20% for your off/on day deficit/surplus would work (tweak slightly of course).
    "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" -Jimi Hendrix
    PM me if you have any questions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

Do people use carb cycling when bulking or usually only when cutting / maintaining?

If not wise to do till completed bulk then I may hold off on trying till then. I am not
    on gear at moment but would like to plan cycle before end of year if possible. Will
    depend on finances. Otherwise everything will remain clean and focused as usual.

JohnyB

Super Mod McBain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Rep Points

Do people use carb cycling when bulking or usually only when cutting / maintaining?

If not wise to do till completed bulk then I may hold off on trying till then. I am not
    on gear at moment but would like to plan cycle before end of year if possible. Will
    depend on finances. Otherwise everything will remain clean and focused as usual.

JohnyB
    I personally don't like it for bulking, I think it's great for cutting/recomp though. That's just my opinion though! Many people have used it to success with bulking.

Others may have some info to chime in, so what's your lifting schedule/days like?
    "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" -Jimi Hendrix
    PM me if you have any questions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Hot wings don't seem like a bad choice bro. They can be high in calories but just stay within your macro. If your bulking eat the fuck outa some wings.
    " The best activities for your health are pumping and humping."
    -Arnold Schwarzenegger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

While I shredded down for summer and maintained but fall is setting in so I think I will be starting lean bulk moving forward. Love Hot Wings... Even when cheating still stay within Macros. Nice thing coming up is I can up my calorie count again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

While I shredded down for summer and maintained but fall is setting in so I think I will be starting lean bulk moving forward. Love Hot Wings... Even when cheating still stay within Macros. Nice thing coming up is I can up my calorie count again

See I sometimes forget about macros. While some people are cursed to diet and go without carbs. With my job and height I'm always trying to fit as much food in as possible. To cut I eat clean (no fries cookies cake) but I still try to eat as much as possible. To bulk I eat as much as humanly possible.
    " The best activities for your health are pumping and humping."
    -Arnold Schwarzenegger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I am definately cursed. I've tried carb cycling and have never seen much if any benefit from it.

Doesn't matter if it's complex carbs, or simple carbs. One refeed/carb up and I add sub q water weight that takes 3 days to drop. I don't wind up w a large energy increase, I just take a massive shit the next day.

The upside of that, is its pretty easy for me to add mass and strength. But adding lean mass requires me to be on point with my diet. Otherwise, I'll add to much fat w the muscle.

Amateur NPC Bodybuilder

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

JohnyB
    There is no such thing as "confusing your body", I just need everyone to know that. For the most part, it doesn't matter what combination of macronutrients you ingest, your body is ready to digest and utilize it. The only exception would be extreme overeating or extreme starvation.

Another thing, hot wings aren't going to hurt you or make you gain fat. The worst thing that will happen is that you'll retain a little bit more water because of the sodium in the sauce.

If by carb cycling you're talking about eating low carbs for x amount of days then consuming a lot for x amount of time then this is how I feel about that. If you are cutting and trying to burn fat while minimizing muscle wasting and still having at least mildly effective workouts in the gym then this type of diet is going to be just about your best bet. I cannot think of ANY other reason why anyone would do it though. Also for efficient cutting, low carb, high fat, high protein is the absolute best. Insulin prohibits lypolysis, insulin and its partner enzyme lipoprotein lipase are only released in the presence of carbohydrates. Proteins and fats do not trigger an insulin response because they are obviously metabolized differently from glucose. Low insulin ---> metabolic shift ---> utilization of fat in the form of ketones ---> efficient lypolysis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by goatfishtwo View Post
    There is no such thing as "confusing your body", I just need everyone to know that. For the most part, it doesn't matter what combination of macronutrients you ingest, your body is ready to digest and utilize it. The only exception would be extreme overeating or extreme starvation.

Another thing, hot wings aren't going to hurt you or make you gain fat. The worst thing that will happen is that you'll retain a little bit more water because of the sodium in the sauce.

If by carb cycling you're talking about eating low carbs for x amount of days then consuming a lot for x amount of time then this is how I feel about that. If you are cutting and trying to burn fat while minimizing muscle wasting and still having at least mildly effective workouts in the gym then this type of diet is going to be just about your best bet. I cannot think of ANY other reason why anyone would do it though. Also for efficient cutting, low carb, high fat, high protein is the absolute best. Insulin prohibits lypolysis, insulin and its partner enzyme lipoprotein lipase are only released in the presence of carbohydrates. Proteins and fats do not trigger an insulin response because they are obviously metabolized differently from glucose. Low insulin ---> metabolic shift ---> utilization of fat in the form of ketones ---> efficient lypolysis
    Terrific post.
    TEAM GREEN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Without getting into too much back story, I came off a major surgery from undiagnosed pneumonia. Collapsed lung, chest tubes, icu, laid up for a a long time. Was obviously a long road to recovery, and during this time my activity level was low. Enjoyed life for a while, got fat, but have been training hard sine July.

My macros have been around 45%p 42%f %13c. Based on a 2000 calorie diet. And most of those carbs have been dietary fiber. I've lost 35 pounds since July 11th and have seen really good strength and composition change. I've pretty much executed the paleo diet, although I do eat more animal fats, and beans then what the paleo diet calls for.

In my experience, w my body, carbs are over rated. I don't get an energy boost from carb cycling, I just add water weight. When I got fat, I don't get sloppy fat. I get bloated, water weight, carb fat.

There have been a number of weeks where my fats were a little higher than my protein. I know animal fats aren't the healthiest, but sometimes I have to switch up from chicken breast to chicken thigh to keep my sanity. But higher fat w lower carb still works for me.

When naturall, fats are very important for building muscle. higher fats are ok w lower carbs because carbs directly transport fat to adipose tissue.

I have carb cycled before. It has done nothing for me in the way of increased strength or energy. The only thing carbs do to me is add water weight. Carb cycling doesn't push me through plateaus in a cut, it actually slows my progress.

This is just what works for me. I know everyone is different.

Amateur NPC Bodybuilder

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy004 View Post
    Without getting into too much back story, I came off a major surgery from undiagnosed pneumonia. Collapsed lung, chest tubes, icu, laid up for a a long time. Was obviously a long road to recovery, and during this time my activity level was low. Enjoyed life for a while, got fat, but have been training hard sine July.

My macros have been around 45%p 42%f %13c. Based on a 2000 calorie diet. And most of those carbs have been dietary fiber. I've lost 35 pounds since July 11th and have seen really good strength and composition change. I've pretty much executed the paleo diet, although I do eat more animal fats, and beans then what the paleo diet calls for.

In my experience, w my body, carbs are over rated. I don't get an energy boost from carb cycling, I just add water weight. When I got fat, I don't get sloppy fat. I get bloated, water weight, carb fat.

There have been a number of weeks where my fats were a little higher than my protein. I know animal fats aren't the healthiest, but sometimes I have to switch up from chicken breast to chicken thigh to keep my sanity. But higher fat w lower carb still works for me.

When naturall, fats are very important for building muscle. higher fats are ok w lower carbs because carbs directly transport fat to adipose tissue.

I have carb cycled before. It has done nothing for me in the way of increased strength or energy. The only thing carbs do to me is add water weight. Carb cycling doesn't push me through plateaus in a cut, it actually slows my progress.

This is just what works for me. I know everyone is different.
    Im just going to address a few things and I'm not saying any of this to be an ass.

First of all, carbs don't shuttle anything anywhere. Insulin does, insulin is a storage and regulation hormone. Glucose in blood is toxic so that is why insulin exists in the first place.

Secondly, you know animal fats aren't the healthiest? How do you know that? Because that's what the USDA tells you? The entire point of the paleolithic diet is that humans run most efficiently on what we are programmed to consume which is animal fat. Animal fat and protein is absolutely the best thing you can consume for many many reasons. I'd say more but I'm on my phone and typing on here is annoying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by goatfishtwo View Post
    Im just going to address a few things and I'm not saying any of this to be an ass.

First of all, carbs don't shuttle anything anywhere. Insulin does, insulin is a storage and regulation hormone. Glucose in blood is toxic so that is why insulin exists in the first place.

Secondly, you know animal fats aren't the healthiest? How do you know that? Because that's what the USDA tells you? The entire point of the paleolithic diet is that humans run most efficiently on what we are programmed to consume which is animal fat. Animal fat and protein is absolutely the best thing you can consume for many many reasons. I'd say more but I'm on my phone and typing on here is annoying.
    Carbs cause insulin spikes correct? Insulin transports glucose. Carbs are broken down into glucose. Sorry I didnt break it down for you bro. But I'm sure you could have got my meaning without being an ass about it.

And if you notice, I have a high fat intake % and protein% intake. So I don't know what you are in disagreement about. I was stating that is exactly what works for me.

Amateur NPC Bodybuilder

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy004 View Post
    Carbs cause insulin spikes correct? Insulin transports glucose. Carbs are broken down into glucose. Sorry I didnt break it down for you bro. But I'm sure you could have got my meaning without being an ass about it.

And if you notice, I have a high fat intake % and protein% intake. So I don't know what you are in disagreement about. I was stating that is exactly what works for me.
    My earlier post clearly shows that I already know that, being specific means the difference between being right and being wrong. That's why I said what I said.

I was very clear what I was in disagreement about. "animal fat isn't the healthiest fat" is the statement I was addressing. A large percentage of society are under this notion because that's what the media and USDA have been shoving down their throats since they were young. Sorry, but nutrition is my career field so I always split hairs and make sure I give accurate information.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Splitting hairs comes of as you being a dick. You can deliver a message w out being a pompous asshole. Congrats bro, you've got a degree in nutrition. You also have a way as coming off as arrogant and condescending.

Its not just this thread, you tend to talk down to everyone in all threads. Not sure there is a need for that. Its just people helping people.

And there are definately alternative fats to animal fats that are a better alternative. Avocados for example. So when I said animal fats aren't the healthiest fats, thats not incorrect.