• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

When can you call your self a bodybuilder?

Seattlesbest

SB Labs
Board Rep
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I workout hard. Meal plan, weigh all my food, do it all. I still don't feel like a bodybuilder.

When did you feel like you made it? When can you call your self a bodybuilder and don't feel stupid saying it.

Did you reach a certain size? Complete? I suffer from imposter syndrome, never feel like I really belong. What gave you the feeling you finally made it as a weight lifter?

I truly felt like a bodybuilder when I competed. Going through a 18 week diet, tanning, getting posing trunks, doing weigh ins, sitting backstage with all the other bodybuilders, stepping on stage for the mandatories and then at night for my posing routine, carbing up with the competitors backstage, getting pro tan all over, and going out for a huge dinner after. The experience was unforgettable and I knew I was a bodybuilder.

It's literally in his screen name bodybuilder

I truly felt like a bodybuilder when I competed. Going through a 18 week diet, tanning, getting posing trunks, doing weigh ins, sitting backstage with all the other bodybuilders, stepping on stage for the mandatories and then at night for my posing routine, carbing up with the competitors backstage, getting pro tan all over, and going out for a huge dinner after. The experience was unforgettable and I knew I was a bodybuilder.

I workout hard. Meal plan, weigh all my food, do it all. I still don't feel like a bodybuilder.

When did you feel like you made it? When can you call your self a bodybuilder and don't feel stupid saying it.

Did you reach a certain size? Complete? I suffer from imposter syndrome, never feel like I really belong. What gave you the feeling you finally made it as a weight lifter?

If you have trained for years with weights trying to enlarge your muscles & burn fat ; your a bodybuilder. No imposters , but I feel you. I don’t feel like a bodybuilder-bodybuilder , but I am . I build my body for aesthetic reasons over strength . Otherwise I’d say I’m a Strongman or an enthusiast. We are all most likely bodybuilders; just at different levels . It’s a mental thing IME/IMO.

Max

I vividly remember making the distiction personally.
I went to the San Diego BB Championship in 1988. My GF look over at me and said “You can do this. You should be up there.”
So I decided I would bethere in 1989. From then on I considered myself a bodybuilder but after actually following through and doing that show, after living a solid year of the lifestyle, I felt I could call myself a bodybuilder. Now a competitive bodybuilder.
Itis also when I realized the common statement “I haven’t competed but I could if I wanted to.” is a joke. You never will know until you DO.

What others do in the gym is bodybuilding. But if I go out and throw a baseball around, I don’t call myself a “baseball player”. FFS, bikini chicks call themselves bodybuilders. Sure, some are adding or building​muscle. But most should call themselves “dieters” only. Competitive dieters.

What you say makes sense. To me it’s kind of a loaded question. I mean if you use the term bodybuilder I guess technically anyone who builds their body into something different is a bodybuilder. With that being said now that I’ve hung here for awhile with all you bodybuilders I can understand that there’s a huge huge difference between someone who works out and a true bodybuilder. The time and the work put in is amazing. I mean I use to kinda get offended when guys would tell me they were high level fighters of whatever type but never even came close to being a pro and ofcourse they got their black belt in Jujitsu in 3 years flat. Pfff Took me 14 years full time to earn mine. I always just thought well fuck you mother fucker. When you’ve put in the blood sweat and tears that I have to be pro then you can talk to me about being some badass at whatever random art you were promoting. Now I could give two shits on what people say cause 75% of it is bullshit. Anyway yeah I can definitely see your point. Sorry if that sounds rude but I was a real asshole in my younger days.

I vividly remember making the distiction personally.
I went to the San Diego BB Championship in 1988. My GF look over at me and said “You can do this. You should be up there.”
So I decided I would bethere in 1989. From then on I considered myself a bodybuilder but after actually following through and doing that show, after living a solid year of the lifestyle, I felt I could call myself a bodybuilder. Now a competitive bodybuilder.
Itis also when I realized the common statement “I haven’t competed but I could if I wanted to.” is a joke. You never will know until you DO.

What others do in the gym is bodybuilding. But if I go out and throw a baseball around, I don’t call myself a “baseball player”. FFS, bikini chicks call themselves bodybuilders. Sure, some are adding or building​muscle. But most should call themselves “dieters” only. Competitive dieters.

What you say makes sense. To me it’s kind of a loaded question. I mean if you use the term bodybuilder I guess technically anyone who builds their body into something different is a bodybuilder. With that being said now that I’ve hung here for awhile with all you bodybuilders I can understand that there’s a huge huge difference between someone who works out and a true bodybuilder. The time and the work put in is amazing. I mean I use to kinda get offended when guys would tell me they were high level fighters of whatever type but never even came close to being a pro and ofcourse they got their black belt in Jujitsu in 3 years flat. Pfff Took me 14 years full time to earn mine. I always just thought well fuck you mother fucker. When you’ve put in the blood sweat and tears that I have to be pro then you can talk to me about being some badass at whatever random art you were promoting. Now I could give two shits on what people say cause 75% of it is bullshit. Anyway yeah I can definitely see your point. Sorry if that sounds rude but I was a real asshole in my younger days.
I share some of your skills…or skilz as we say here. But I don’t call myself a fighter. CowboyPump has been in 3,678,432 fights but I don’t think I have heard him call himself a “fighter”.
I used to fly so I guess I can say I’m a pilot, but no fucking way I am getting in a plane by myself again without refresher training.

I used to hear guys say they “race” motorcycles because they do track days. BIG fucking difference from racing. I can’t tell you how many guys who were fast trackday riders, doing a Novice race for the first time then quitting.
In 2011 I formed a team. One of my guys was a guy just like this. Fast, the balls of a Marine (which he is). Did his first race, low-sided coming out of the carousel at Sear’s Point (a common place for it). Came back to the pit, loaded his shit in his truck without saying a word to the team and left.
By the time I got home that night he had all of his shit for sale on the moto forum and CL.

“He could have competed if he wanted to……”

Im glad someone understood what I was saying. I figured that would have offended most here. I guess the only way to really distinguish yourself from the regular crowd would be to put the word competitive or professional or something like that in front of the word bodybuilder. I don’t know maybe they should treat bodybuilding like some gay karate class with belts. I’d say right now I’m rocking a strong yellow belt in bodybuilding. Lol

I share some of your skills…or skilz as we say here. But I don’t call myself a fighter. CowboyPump has been in 3,678,432 fights but I don’t think I have heard him call himself a “fighter”.
I used to fly so I guess I can say I’m a pilot, but no fucking way I am getting in a plane by myself again without refresher training.

I used to hear guys say they “race” motorcycles because they do track days. BIG fucking difference from racing. I can’t tell you how many guys who were fast trackday riders, doing a Novice race for the first time then quitting.
In 2011 I formed a team. One of my guys was a guy just like this. Fast, the balls of a Marine (which he is). Did his first race, low-sided coming out of the carousel at Sear’s Point (a common place for it). Came back to the pit, loaded his shit in his truck without saying a word to the team and left.
By the time I got home that night he had all of his shit for sale on the moto forum and CL.

“He could have competed if he wanted to……”

Im glad someone understood what I was saying. I figured that would have offended most here. I guess the only way to really distinguish yourself from the regular crowd would be to put the word competitive or professional or something like that in front of the word bodybuilder. I don’t know maybe they should treat bodybuilding like some gay karate class with belts. I’d say right now I’m rocking a strong yellow belt in bodybuilding. Lol
Well, then I am 4th dan…but still no pro.
I base my belt on what I see in my son-in-law, who just got his 2nd degree or whatever it’s called in Yoda Jedikan karate…or at least that’s what the shit looks like to me. We have had the conversation about it…and that his pudgy ass, soft boy better knock me out with the first few of his barely lift his leg above the knee strikes or a I would rip his shoulder out it’s socket and fuck him with his arm.

Dude gets carpal tunnel from lifting floor mats at his job but dreams of his own dojo.

I asked him what he needed to open one up because in my mind I want the best for my daughter and grandchildren and was ready to set him up. No plan. A dream with no plan is a delusional fantasy. Jungsters are waaaay lazy these days.

I started calling myself a bodybuilder after my first show. That was 30 years ago and I have lost count of how many times Ive been on stage. Last one I did was last year on Labor day which I took first place.

IML Gear Cream!
Well shit Coach if you have some extra cash laying around I have a really good kidney for sale. Lol I also know an old ex pro fighter that is dead ass broke but would still love to have his own Dojo. Lmk and I’ll set you guys up. Lol

Well, then I am 4th dan…but still no pro.
I base my belt on what I see in my son-in-law, who just got his 2nd degree or whatever it’s called in Yoda Jedikan karate…or at least that’s what the shit looks like to me. We have had the conversation about it…and that his pudgy ass, soft boy better knock me out with the first few of his barely lift his leg above the knee strikes or a I would rip his shoulder out it’s socket and fuck him with his arm.

Dude gets carpal tunnel from lifting floor mats at his job but dreams of his own dojo.

I asked him what he needed to open one up because in my mind I want the best for my daughter and grandchildren and was ready to set him up. No plan. A dream with no plan is a delusional fantasy. Jungsters are waaaay lazy these days.

This is a very cool thread. A lot of intersting points were made here. Seems like most guys have some fighting background here. What made you guys get into that in the first place?

Wil never get on stage (never did), will never want to. So not a BB.
Just a life-long weight-trainer with an unhealthy addiction for it since 1978...

I think anyone who lives it and sticks to the lifestyle is what makes you a body builder . Doesn’t matter if your pro or amateur, compete or not . To me it’s the life style . Not many live it . People think I’m some kind of anomaly at work and shit bc I work at a restaurant bar and I pack all my food every time I’m there . I’ve been back there a little short of a year and haven’t eaten any of the food there lol. I bring the same exact shit and eat it on the exact same times . Not 1 person who works there or any of the other outlets my boss owns even looks remotely close to some one who works out . So they look at me like I’m the odd ball Lmfaooo

That’s one good thing about bodybuilding. You can pretty much tell who’s really living the lifestyle or if they are just talking shit.

I think anyone who lives it and sticks to the lifestyle is what makes you a body builder . Doesn’t matter if your pro or amateur, compete or not . To me it’s the life style . Not many live it . People think I’m some kind of anomaly at work and shit bc I work at a restaurant bar and I pack all my food every time I’m there . I’ve been back there a little short of a year and haven’t eaten any of the food there lol. I bring the same exact shit and eat it on the exact same times . Not 1 person who works there or any of the other outlets my boss owns even looks remotely close to some one who works out . So they look at me like I’m the odd ball Lmfaooo

Mine was because my shit parents wanted to get rid of me so they enrolled me in a few different martial arts classes. Only good thing they did really. Then at age 12 I think my mother or some random family member actually paid to hire a full time coach/mentor at that point. As I got better so did the coaches and so on and so on.

This is a very cool thread. A lot of intersting points were made here. Seems like most guys have some fighting background here. What made you guys get into that in the first place?

What I practice is bodybuilding. but I am not a Bodybuilder and never will be. To me you have to compete at some level to call your self a bodybuilder

There is no other way to describe the life style. I want to build a look not a certain strength. If I wanted functional strength I would have to completely change my work out style and what I eat. I personally dont care if i can push a bus or do 1000 pull ups all I care about is what I look like. I do take cardio seriously for more than one reason, the first is I do things that require endurance like backpacking hunting mountain biking and back country boarding. These activities are much more enjoyable if I am not gasping for air especially at elevation. The second is cardio keeps me from getting fat during the holidays and extra lean in the summer.

GreatThread SB..
Every now and then,he gets rejected by the girl,jacks...more

than once...
And clears his Head(lower one)
And post a cool thread...

90% of us are weekend warriors...great hobbyist..but never to step on stage...
That is a Huge difference...
Late 80's I completed in MA...just state and national level...no pro crap..
Hold a couple of belts...trained with some World Class fighters..SF and just damn greatly talented individuals..Great Times

But to each's own...the dieting,training and fellowship is addicting...
You get what you put in...in anything...

Today..many thanks to 4o1 I Have two Challenges
Beating 4o1...and that other thing...lol
Z...

When my first child was born, I became a builder of bodies. I am a 2 time body builder!

Get Shredded!

So pick out a date and compete and get rid of that imposter syndrome feeling.

I've been in a gym for most of my adult life and never considered myself a bodybuilder. Even back in the day when I was repping 405 on the flat bench I didn't do it for any other reason than to make the other things I did in my life better by being stronger than I would be without the exercise. Now I train to make backpacking in the mountains easier. I train to be able to paddle faster than the guy next to me to catch more waves.

Got surgery coming up soon. Still in agony and can hardly walk any more. I can't wait to drop all the weight I've gained since the debilitating issues began a couple of years ago and get back into it. Gonna hit that gym hard and start living again.

Attachments

• LowerBack02.JPG
    LowerBack02.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 36
I totally get that too brother. Like I said that’s a tough question to answer. For me anyway. I just know that once you put everything into something to reach a certain status then it’s irritating to hear someone else say they are that too. Kinda takes a huge shit on all your hard work and skill sets. Just saying…..

What I practice is bodybuilding. but I am not a Bodybuilder and never will be. To me you have to compete at some level to call your self a bodybuilder

There is no other way to describe the life style. I want to build a look not a certain strength. If I wanted functional strength I would have to completely change my work out style and what I eat. I personally dont care if i can push a bus or do 1000 pull ups all I care about is what I look like. I do take cardio seriously for more than one reason, the first is I do things that require endurance like backpacking hunting mountain biking and back country boarding. These activities are much more enjoyable if I am not gasping for air especially at elevation. The second is cardio keeps me from getting fat during the holidays and extra lean in the summer.

That's why..when I'm on the judges table at a promotion test...
I don't give an inch...took me 10yrs to finally get that belt..we break concrete barefooted..slabs

The black belts I've trained and promoted...Well Earned those threads..and are damn Proud..and I of THEM..

When something is given...without being earned..it takes away..it diminishes said value..
Never on my Watch
Z...

N 99
That looks like L4 or 5..??
And looks painful as Hell
GodSpeed...Brother...
Let us know when..please
Z...

Lots of good answers here, here is my POV. you’re a bodybuilder, just like a guy who drives a car is a car driver, the difference is one gets paid with trophies and or cash when/if he competes and the other does it out of pure desire vs other types of staying in shape or using modes of transportation to get from point A to point B.

N 99
That looks like L4 or 5..??
And looks painful as Hell
GodSpeed...Brother...
Let us know when..please
Z...

That xray is 7 months old. It's way worse now. L5-S1 disk is gone. Just recently had an MRI and now it's completely gone. L5 and S1 are no longer attached. Following the MRI they bumped up my surgery date because it's horrifying. Soon, very soon.

I apologize for hijacking the thread.

Looking forward to being a gym rat again.

Tell you this...something I came to realize yrs ago...

There are some PE out There that can drive circles around any Pro Driver...
Or play pool better than most of so-called Pro's

And beat the crap out-of most UFC fighters...
And they just do it for the Fun of It..

Much respect Z but show me that guy who randomly beats the shit out of fighters that have basically reached the pinnacle of their sport. Accidents happen but not too often. Lol

Tell you this...something I came to realize yrs ago...

There are some PE out There that can drive circles around any Pro Driver...
Or play pool better than most of so-called Pro's

And beat the crap out-of most UFC fighters...
And they just do it for the Fun of It..

I hear you..
But there's a few..Cortez is one...a nobody

Front leg round kick...in.32 seconds....that will snap your neck..
Just a cop on the Force..

Back