• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

How often do you deadlift?

Dano22

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I know some of you older farts on here probably gave the deadlift up a while ago, maybe not . How often do you guys pull from the floor ?

I don't really pull from the floor anymore due to my lower back issues but below the knee rack pulls work great for me and I do them twice a week. Set them up so the plates are 6" off the floor.

My working set is 365lbs.

Normally I alternate weekly with Deadlifts and Rack Pulls

Years ago- I started with once a week and then as the weights progressed I only pulled from the floor every 10-14 days. Even when I backed off the frequency the weight still progressed.
Currently- I only pull off of pins.

When I seriously got Into lifting dead’s , bench , over head press and squats are all we did. The gym I started out in was full of Big guys on gear who were all prison guards . Very minimal isolation work. I attribute this early training to the 100% the way my body has developed. I wouldn’t have the foundation I have now without that .
As of of now almost 15 years later I don’t do dead’s simply bc I no longer enjoy them. Don’t care about being the strongest or the biggest any more .

IMO I think Rack Pulls give me more growth, I do them regularly. Being I can really sink and lock my lats tight before pulling more so than deads. I kinda just wanted to change things up a bit and see if it will maybe spark any new growth. I find that when I destroy myself on deads I could care less to pull off the rack. If racks are going to allow me to grow more muscle I should just stick to them. I just know some guys attribute most of their back growth to deads . Some not so much. Been 2 years since I’ve deadlifted, started again 3 weeks ago.

I usually DL as heavy as I can but pulled something in my glute (showing off doing kicks) a few months ago so right now I rack pull but hopefully soon I can be back DL soon, I want to hit 600 before the summer.

At age 55, I still pull from floor weekly. Like Capthowdy87 mentioned above, my training days are built around Bench, SQ, DL, OHP.
Just the training style I enjoy. (Some call it 'Powerbuilding').

A mix of Powerlifting/Bodybuilding style of training...

Every other week I’ll do rack pulls. I used to do light RDL for high reps when I’m going for calorie burn for a “cutting phase”. Knowing what I know now, I’d have started my lifting journey with a powerlifting strategy to build a better base. I guess I could start from scratch right now but the bodybuilding style just seems more fun and the older I get the easier it is to injure myself. I like the isolation movements.

IML Gear Cream!
I’ve definitely keen on the powerbuilding myself. Exhaust the compound and clean things up with blood movement. My main issue with the dead is properly structuring the sets/reps. I’ll either chase numbers or spend so damn long on just deads I’m fried or out of energy by the end. Not sure if I should dedicate a whole session to them, just add one accessory exercise after, or cut my sets down so I’m able to complete a full back session. I’m coming up on a really big push for growth, Ive been doing a lot of junk volume lately. Trying to dial in how to utilize them the best way possible. Getting bored with current training.

I’ve definitely keen on the powerbuilding myself. Exhaust the compound and clean things up with blood movement. My main issue with the dead is properly structuring the sets/reps. I’ll either chase numbers or spend so damn long on just deads I’m fried or out of energy by the end. Not sure if I should dedicate a whole session to them, just add one accessory exercise after, or cut my sets down so I’m able to complete a full back session. I’m coming up on a really big push for growth, Ive been doing a lot of junk volume lately. Trying to dial in how to utilize them the best way possible. Getting bored with current training.
I agree. I tend to do too many warm up sets before getting to my working set. Plan of fixing that in 2022

On back day deadlifts, on leg day RDL.

I used to always finish my session with rack pulls or RDLs that way I got my workout in before I was too tired. Thus, I didn’t really ever go over 225 on RDLs and I would bang out 4 or 5 sets in the 12-15 set range. Great way to get your heart thumping and burn those extra calories.

my back day these days is rows. I’ll start the session with pull ups for warm ups and do two variations of rows (typically meadows rows and tbar rows) and throw in some overhead rows or stiff arm pull downs and lat pull downs … got me thinking to put those rack pulls back in at the end of the session now. Good call bro! Might as well throw my RDLs in after leg/shoulder day too.

90% of the time I'm doing rack pulls at various heights. Every once in a while I'll build up to 5 plates off the ground. That's only when I feel strong and I have time. I don't think body building needs deads to grow. It's more of a, can I still do this.

I only do DB RDL LIGHT WEIGHT.. just for a squeeze and activation with glutes/hams, I don't go to the point where it goes onto the lower back were the glutes don't feel activated. I don't pull the tension off the glutes. I just squeeze for blood volume in glutes and hams.

Deadlift is one thing I have never done in my life until about a month ago . I did 3 sets of 10@ 225. And that was it havnt done it again !

I always felt like if it didn't look like I got ass raped walking around the next day. I didn't hit the muscles right. I'd over do it. The next day or 2 I'd have a tight gate to my step. And I felt the Doms so I thought it was legit. But then it interfered with other things so I slowed down on em. And eventually they dropped off. Though I'd really like to get the hex trap bar again. And just be smarter with the lifts. I feel to old. To. Be that sore these days. Only. Mid 30s but still. Got to much on my plate for that these days.

Depends on recovery. You might get away with more often on a bigger cycle and more cals. If it's causing nagging injuries or you to jave subpar workouts the days after your DL sessions, you're not recovering. No one can really tell you how you'll recover, imo

Get Shredded!
I never pull 80% or more from the floor more frequently than every 15 days or so. 2x per month.

Outside of that, there is plenty of block pull work, front squats, heavy db RDL (a staple!), ghr and safety squat bar good mornings. These are my “builder” movements for the deadlift. I never try to build my deadlift with actual deadlifts anymore. They’re more of a testing lift for me

at 55, and been lifting since 13 my joints are pretty worn so i lift 135 for 5 x 15.

I have deadlifted a zillion times over the years, but at age 60 tend not only do dumbbell dead lifts with semi straight legs. I usually go pretty light, only using 85 lb dumbbells for at least 12 reps. I do still get a very full range of motion. I did Bulgarian dead with s straight bar until the age of 58.

I’ve done it about 2 or 3 times in my life . Maybe that’s why I’m small !

I stop doing deadlift about 5months ago and switched to rack pulls and started seeing results more on my back.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I do dumbbell dead lifts as my main leg exercise because I workout at home in my bedroom. 😀 I squat them down half way then finish the movement with a dead lift to the floor. Then back up with the same reverse version.

I know some of you older farts on here probably gave the deadlift up a while ago, maybe not . How often do you guys pull from the floor ?

Never in my opinion the deadlift is more of a power movement then a builder . I’d Much rather do bent over rows or a chest supported row

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadlift once per week, but incorporate rack pulls and RDLs (single leg variations as well) in during the week too. Has helped my back endlessly as I have slipped my L2, L3, and L5 in the past and used to struggle with back pain a lot.

Back