• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Cardio...Who's Doing it Over 40..???

Get Shredded!
I really started pouring on the cardio during a cut during last fall. Was doing 30 minutes on the stair climber 3 days a week, then upped it to 4. Now several months later I do cardio daily. Mon through Friday it is 30 minutes on the stairs at 5 am and then 1.5 hours of traditional strength training. I am understand this is not the most effective approach for hypertrophy but it is really changing my physique. On Saturday and Sunday I put in an hour of cardio then do core and plyometrics. After that I go home eat and take a short nap. Do one more session Friday and Saturday evening. Went to the doctor and had my yearly checkup and he said I am in terrific shape as far as lipids, bp, etc so I think I will keep going. Might change the order when I blast though and do weights first.

That's what I wanted to both hear and see...
We can't be gods forever..However,we can live a long and healthy life..

But
Only if we change with our body..Never against It..
Z...

You can try other less pounding forms of energy system work.

Example would be:

Tire Drag with 45lb plate 1000 meters
Farmer with 50lbs (53lbs Kettles) each side 1000 meters
Ruck 40lb Vest 1000 meters

If you pulse isn't through the roof, then you are healthier then you think.

I just started back. I’m doing Anywhere from 20- 30 minutes 2x aweeek

Just started back last week doing 30 minutes at 120bpm on a recumbent bike right after morning piss. I’m 58 and recently had a high cholesterol blood result. Hoping this helps drop it a bit.
Does anybody else monitor their heart rate?

I try to get mine over 140 for a significant amount of time, but as I get in better shape, it takes more and more effort to do that, so I end up burning close to 500 calories. It's easy to hit 140 the first time doing cardio after a layoff, but it gets harder and harder each time I go. Maybe I should be content with 130 and up? Goal is cardio fitness, not burning cals (this ain't contest prep, just health as I age).

Does anybody else monitor their heart rate?

I try to get mine over 140 for a significant amount of time, but as I get in better shape, it takes more and more effort to do that, so I end up burning close to 500 calories. It's easy to hit 140 the first time doing cardio after a layoff, but it gets harder and harder each time I go. Maybe I should be content with 130 and up? Goal is cardio fitness, not burning cals (this ain't contest prep, just health as I age).
I have a Garmin Vivosmart so it is constantly tracking my heart rate and O2 at night or on demand.

Funny but I love doing cardio in the 150s range because this is where it feels good to me. Like it did in the military. But probably not a great idea. Yep, the better shape the harder to get to that rate.

I suppose the LISS (these youngsters call it) during prep gives mi corazon a break from the 150 beat down.

This might be out-of-date..but I remember the true measure of heart fitness is how fast the HR goes down to rest...after the cardio exercise..
Once I Got to 180 but was sore for days..Heart wise I am Good..but I still do cardio..it helps my markers..
Z...

Back