• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

First real disappointment in life

Drugsgear

Board Rep
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
With all these decorations starting even earlier this year than before around the globe, I have a question: do you remember how old you were when you stopped believing in Santa Claus? And why? Did you see some actor getting dressed up? Or did your parents tell you?

[FONT=&quot]
jOnBlkG.jpg
[/FONT]

Well I was in the third grade. My family was at my great grandpa’s house. Back then we had the talk around community phone. You could get on the phone at any time and listen to other people’s conversation. Well my cousin and I heard the phone ring. We saw my mom pick it up. So we ran to the bedroom and quietly picked up the receiver. We heard my mom tell my 2 uncles to put the gifts in certain spots. We spent the night at my other grandparents house. Next morning we went home and my mom said, I wonder what Santa left for you guys? I didn’t say anything to my younger brother and sister. But then I knew that there wasn’t a Santa. But hey, my mom worked her ass off. Single parent. My dad never helped out until I was about 17-18. Oh well. Shit happens

With all these decorations starting even earlier this year than before around the globe, I have a question: do you remember how old you were when you stopped believing in Santa Claus? And why? Did you see some actor getting dressed up? Or did your parents tell you?

[FONT=&quot]
jOnBlkG.jpg
[/FONT]

This is an interesting topic, the wife and I were just having it just the other day.

Oh my, I had to be about 9 when it was officially confirmed that Santa was in fact my parents.
I stumbled across some gifts, because I didn't know how to mind my own business, and I was poking around where I didn't belong. Christmas was always magical, I would even have a decent sized little tree in my bedroom next to my bed and I would fall asleep staring at the lights. To be young again, like most parents in the world, mine did a great job at protecting us from the ugliness of the world by allowing us to have the one single opportunity with just being a child and that was our only job.

We told our daughter at 10 and she was mad that we didn't keep it going. We explained kids at school would tell her and felt it would be best to tell her before that happened.

That said we decorated two days ago. Yeah early but it's been a shit year so a little early Joy is a ok with me.

We told our daughter at 10 and she was mad that we didn't keep it going. We explained kids at school would tell her and felt it would be best to tell her before that happened.

That said we decorated two days ago. Yeah early but it's been a shit year so a little early Joy is a ok with me.

My stepdaughter told our son, and I was a bit upset about that. She's much much older.
He was devastated. So I completely understand from her perspective. Kids should act like kids for as long as they possibly can..

My stepdaughter told our son, and I was a bit upset about that. She's much much older.
He was devastated. So I completely understand from her perspective. Kids should act like kids for as long as they possibly can..

I don’t remember any particular moment that gave it away. Just kinda seemed like bull shit the whole time and I was always pretty suspicious. I was pretty young though when I got my parents to admit he was fake…Always been a really scientific/practical minded individual so the “magical” aspect just didn’t sit right with me…

My older siblings told me at some point.

But usually there’s Jew kid in school who fucks it up for the others. Lol.

My son was 5 when his grandma told him (wife’s side). She a jehovah witness.

I was pissed.

I’m 40 years old with 5 kids of my own and my dad still won’t admit that there’s no Santa. Gotta give him props for sticking to his story all these years…😂

I found out when I was around 10 and listening to the radio and a DJ was talking about it.

At the same time you don't want other kids in school closing your kid because they don't know Santa isn't real.

I didn’t even know there was such a thing called Santa until I started grade school. No Santa ever came to my house when I was a kid so it was never even an issue whether he was real or not. I guess for me he never existed in the first place. I do remember the other kids all laughing at me because I didn’t think he was real. Well guess who got the last laugh when they finally found out the truth. Haha

You have just told the story of love and care, not about Santa. Your mom did a great job, and it's good you didn't tell the secret to your little brother and sis.

Well I was in the third grade. My family was at my great grandpa’s house. Back then we had the talk around community phone. You could get on the phone at any time and listen to other people’s conversation. Well my cousin and I heard the phone ring. We saw my mom pick it up. So we ran to the bedroom and quietly picked up the receiver. We heard my mom tell my 2 uncles to put the gifts in certain spots. We spent the night at my other grandparents house. Next morning we went home and my mom said, I wonder what Santa left for you guys? I didn’t say anything to my younger brother and sister. But then I knew that there wasn’t a Santa. But hey, my mom worked her ass off. Single parent. My dad never helped out until I was about 17-18. Oh well. Shit happens

yeah, being a child, believing in miracles, being protected by our parents - this is the time we start treasuring only when we grow up.

This is an interesting topic, the wife and I were just having it just the other day.

Oh my, I had to be about 9 when it was officially confirmed that Santa was in fact my parents.
I stumbled across some gifts, because I didn't know how to mind my own business, and I was poking around where I didn't belong. Christmas was always magical, I would even have a decent sized little tree in my bedroom next to my bed and I would fall asleep staring at the lights. To be young again, like most parents in the world, mine did a great job at protecting us from the ugliness of the world by allowing us to have the one single opportunity with just being a child and that was our only job.

Yep, many of us need early decorations this year.

Kudos to your old man. He certainly knows how to be a Dad!

I’m 40 years old with 5 kids of my own and my dad still won’t admit that there’s no Santa. Gotta give him props for sticking to his story all these years…

I found out when I was around 10 and listening to the radio and a DJ was talking about it.

yeah, being a child, believing in miracles, being protected by our parents - this is the time we start treasuring only when we grow up.

That is very true, it is not until we are adults that we learned to appreciate what our parents were doing for us. As kids we were just too busy and in a rush to grow up all the while adults were telling us to slow down and enjoy the ride.

Get Shredded!
I hate how life has changed. I grew up with a sister and a big family. Every year Christmas was at our grandparents where I had 3 aunts and 6 uncles. They had a small house where we all squeezed in and had a big dinner and lots of deserts. "Santa" would stop by, grandpa's friend. Then we would open gifts and while we played with our new toys the adults would play poker.

These were truly some of the best years of my life. Grandparents have passed and everyone has gone their own way. I could only wish our daughter would be able to experience this but she never will and it really sux. Times cha ge I guess and so do people's values. People disappoint me and I'm having a hell of a time dealing with that fact. Sux.

Last edited:
I hate how life has changed. I grew up with a sister and a big family. Every year Christmas was at our grandparents where I had 3 aunts and 6 uncles. They had a small house where we all squeezed in and had a big dinner and lots of deserts. "Santa" would stop by, grandpa's friend. Then we would open gifts and while we played with our new toys the adults would play poker.

These were truly some of the best years of my life. Grandparents have passed and everyone has gone their own way. I could only wish our daughter would be able to experience this but she never will and it really sux. Times cha ge I guess and so do people's values. People disappoint me and I'm having a hell of a time dealing with that fact. Sux.

Couldn’t you carry on the tradition?

Couldn’t you carry on the tradition?

Everyone had gone their different ways. My parents come over and my sister hates us because she's a lib. We have a simple rule no politics during holidays but she can't help herself. I had enough and called her out and now she won't come back but I still invite her. Two uncles dead and cousins have their own families and grandchildren now.

This year we're thinking about adopting a family in need. Or going to the shelter to donate.

Those memories sound awesome. It makes me do some reflecting, we had an average size family when I'm talking about aunts and uncles and cousins, in my household specifically there was five siblings.
Christmas was always the greatest when you see family like you're mentioning, gosh my uncle was young then and we would drag him by his arm outside to play tag football with all of us. Then he was in his early 30s.
Then we would all open up gifts and all of the kids, nephews cousins and so on would get 20 bucks in a card from the one uncle.

We have a sister and our family that we can't be around either, it's complete chaos.
But she was part of these memories growing up and she was different then.

Indeed times have definitely changed.
But did times change? Maybe it's just our perspective because we are more aware, because back in those moments we were just children and we had very few things to worry about.

But it sounds like you make the best of it now because you remember the best of it then.

Your comment playing with the new toys? That was the best, whether it was a mild christmas, a cold Christmas, a snowy Christmas or a wet Christmas, we couldn't wait to get outside and try our new toys (outdoor toys).
My first archery set, I still remember the thrill of that morning.

What I miss most of all it's something I didn't know how to appreciate, that was watching my mother play with her new kitchen gadget in gizmos. I remember watching her make homemade noodles once as I was heading outside to test out my new toy. She was just as excited as we were... I'd do anything to be back in that moment.

Question?

When or at what age do you stop exchanging gifts or giving to nephews or nieces??

Any cut offs?

Question?

When or at what age do you stop exchanging gifts or giving to nephews or nieces??

Any cut offs?

This is a good question, distance is what was one of the factors as times changed but it got really interesting much later. The family would still get together, some faces that were permanent are no longer, and others that were hit or miss are now at the holiday gatherings which includes new spouses, husbands wives and other new additions to the family - with this said, I'm not sure who came up with the concept or idea in our family but we do some pretty unique things that includes everyone of all ages (mostly everyone is an adult now)

We do these silly games, I'm not even sure how they go because I just roll with it but I'll do my best.

1) all family members must bring one type of gift, it can be whatever, a gag gift, or a bag full of things or a box full of things or one single item. (Creativity)

We all gather around after dinner and everyone picks a number from a hat..

As people start picking numbers, after the number two people have the option to either pick your gift from the pile that has various shapes and sizes of wrapped presents or gift bags, or you can steal the gift that someone else picked, but the rule is when you first pick your gift you have to open it. There's a rule that you get to steal twice. It gets hilarious, in a fun moment of chaos people are stealing presents from each other, we almost always come close to peeing our pants..

2) we would have this ginormous Saran wrap ball that would have all sorts of layers of fun prizes, gift cards, all cool things that you could see through the translucent plastic..(if it can fit in the ball then it goes in the ball) we would have a timer and you have under a certain amount of time to open the layers and get to the gift that you want, once your time has expired you have to immediately pass the huge Saran wrap ball to the person next to you. Some people hit the jackpot and some people don't.

Yeah.. it's fun! 👍🤣

I don't want to be tactless, but did you celebrate Christmas at all? Or New Year's Day in your childhood?

I didn’t even know there was such a thing called Santa until I started grade school. No Santa ever came to my house when I was a kid so it was never even an issue whether he was real or not. I guess for me he never existed in the first place. I do remember the other kids all laughing at me because I didn’t think he was real. Well guess who got the last laugh when they finally found out the truth. Haha

That's how humanity is programmed to grow and develop, I guess. Younger generation doesn't take the words of seniors seriously and do everything their way until they become seniors themselves. That's how progress is done, probably.

That is very true, it is not until we are adults that we learned to appreciate what our parents were doing for us. As kids we were just too busy and in a rush to grow up all the while adults were telling us to slow down and enjoy the ride.

So depressing but true. I guess, it is in our hands now to pass this tradition on, gather under our roof those family members who are willing to keep it going and show our kids the example.

Back