Mountain Dog Program

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Rep Points

Mountain Dog Program

Have any of you run any programs written by John Meadows? I just started Creeping Death 2. Itís pretty intense. Pros? Cons?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    733 Posts
    Rep Points

Iíve ran task master, gamma bomb,the devourer, and onslaught. Theyíre all really good programs. John was a genius at programming a routine. He had exercise selection and execution down to a science. There are no cons over all.
    where I had issues with mt dog training is Iím not great at making myself hold back on sets so I would get destroyed. I also donít do well with exercise selection constantly changing. Everytime I ran a MD routine I came out of it with significant strength loss and lean tissue with it. These arenít the routines fault but my own. I try to look at everything objectively.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Rep Points

Thank for the feedback.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,902 Posts
    Rep Points

I enjoyed it but, I had similar issues as bft.

Muscular demolition and creeping death were my favorites.

Gamma bomb was pretty good as well as colossus but, the first two I mentioned were the ones I saw the best results with.

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,823 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bft84 View Post
    Iíve ran task master, gamma bomb,the devourer, and onslaught. Theyíre all really good programs. John was a genius at programming a routine. He had exercise selection and execution down to a science. There are no cons over all.
    where I had issues with mt dog training is Iím not great at making myself hold back on sets so I would get destroyed. I also donít do well with exercise selection constantly changing. Everytime I ran a MD routine I came out of it with significant strength loss and lean tissue with it. These arenít the routines fault but my own. I try to look at everything objectively.
    Tissue is what we after but I really like being strong in the 1-3 range too so I can see why you didn't like that part of it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    733 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by samgraves82 View Post
    Tissue is what we after but I really like being strong in the 1-3 range too so I can see why you didn't like that part of it
    Itís like I would read rpe of 7or8 but I really couldnít gauge it for shit and Iíd just keep pushing so what shouldíve been 3-4 failure sets ended up being 20 or so plus whatever intensifier John had programmed in lol. My dumb ass would even do this on the pump days. I always have the thought of just one more rep. Iíve just trained to failure on working sets for so long rpe and rir really work for me.

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,823 Posts
    Rep Points

Itís like I would read rpe of 7or8 but I really couldnít gauge it for shit and Iíd just keep pushing so what shouldíve been 3-4 failure sets ended up being 20 or so plus whatever intensifier John had programmed in lol. My dumb ass would even do this on the pump days. I always have the thought of just one more rep. Iíve just trained to failure on working sets for so long rpe and rir really work for me.
    I haven't really practiced either but if you know ur 1 RM you can get a pretty good idea of what 2 rir is with a given weight

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,902 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by samgraves82 View Post
    I haven't really practiced either but if you know ur 1 RM you can get a pretty good idea of what 2 rir is with a given weight
    That's why I preach the log book.

You find all your answers to reps in reserve after a few weeks of logging.

Usually, failure for most guys is 2 reps in reserve....... They're just nervous to get them or their mind is fucking with them.

Failure - you go down, you can't go back up. Anything more then that, it's not failure. Grinding out a rep without assistance, isn't failure.

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,823 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post

Usually, failure for most guys is 2 reps in reserve....... They're just nervous to get them or their mind is fucking with them.

Failure - you go down, you can't go back up. Anything more then that, it's not failure. Grinding out a rep without assistance, isn't failure.
    I'd be all over the place without my log book.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    733 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post

Absolutely. Iíve always kept a log book and I always train to failure. I push until i canít get another rep and then on back off set I usually add an intensifier like rest pause, a drop set, window maker, or assisted reps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Rep Points

Iíve run around 8-9 of Johnís programs over the last 10 years. Until recently, MD style was pretty much all Iíd known.
    I actually used to work with the current lead trainer of MD for years and we were training partners most of that time. Iíd met John several times and his character is what convinced me to train with that style for so long.

To be honest, I feel thatís got a lot to do with why Iíve seen minimal results during what would have been my prime for growth.
    Like Monte and Bft, I never made much progress in terms of strength. Itís very far from a progressive overload system, most of them anyway. He does give you goals to hit and then break, but with the structure, youíre not likely to break through many lifts as would be necessary.
    Donít get me wrong, Iíve gone from 140lbs soft to 210 with a decent bf% in the last ten years. But honestly not nearly what I think would have been possible if Iíd simply:

Kept a log book
    Trained to failure
    Sacrificed volume for intensity

I still have most of Johnís programs and once in awhile Iíll throw a workout or two in because I do enjoy them. But I think his training is mostly geared for guys who have already added as much real mass as they can, the high level pros that need to fine tune and reduce risk of injury.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Rep Points

To add, I do agree that Johnís programs were master class. I just found that I either a) felt I hadnít trained hard enough, and ended up adding too many intensifiers. Or b) Was too much volume to actually push weights and increase progressive overload

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    733 Posts
    Rep Points

Iíve never done the actual program but his Team Universe is really in depth. It goes through his entire prep from diet, cardio, how heís feeling and how he did most workouts. It even explains why he makes certain changes.
    his notes on page one says: 225lbs this morning. Woke up feeling small and weak. Very poor training sessionÖ
    theres more to it but itís just an example.
    Thereís a lot that can be learned from it beyond the training. Iíve read through it several times

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Rep Points

Iíve never done the actual program but his Team Universe is really in depth. It goes through his entire prep from diet, cardio, how heís feeling and how he did most workouts. It even explains why he makes certain changes.
    his notes on page one says: 225lbs this morning. Woke up feeling small and weak. Very poor training sessionÖ
    theres more to it but itís just an example.
    Thereís a lot that can be learned from it beyond the training. Iíve read through it several times
    Agreed. Thatís definitely one of the better ones. He also has a training principles e-book and a MD diet book Iíve read through. Thatís what originally introduced me to using intra workout as well as turned me into true nutrition. By far one of the most influential trainers of today.