• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs Super 1-Andro Cream® A Transermal 1-Andro - On Sale $59.99!🔥

Dialted Aortic Root

deathrattle

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Hey guys...just wanted to give you a heads up about this.

Im 42 and last year was the first time i went to cardiologist. Was worried about LVH since ive been lifting and using PEDs on and off for 20 years.

Long story short everything is perfect. Had a EKG, Echocardiogram, stress test, calcium score. No LVH thank God. The only thing that was found was that my aortic valve diamter was at 4.1cm and it should be 4.0 or less for men.

Went back last week (a year later) to get a follow up. Again everything perfect except now my aortic diameter is now 4.3. Doc said it should not increased by .2cm in a year and if it gets to 5.5 will need open heart surgery.

He said 2 main things cause this.

1. High BP (Which i dont have as i test daily)
2. Lifting heavy weights

So he basically said i need to lower the amt of weight lifted at the gym or it will keep growing and i will eventually need open heart surgery.

Dont even feel like im lifting that heavy anymore due to some nagging injuries and age as well.

Just wanted to let you guys know to get this checked as most people are concerned with LVH and ive never even heard of this aortic dilation before. Its spotted on the echocardiogram.

Also have no symptoms or anything.....feel totally fine. Doc said you wouldn't know until it ruptures (aortic aneurism) and then you need to get to the hospital asap.

What is the error range of the test? Wondering if the change is within the error range. If it is affordable and the error range makes the increase questionable I would retest or at least retest in 6 months. Also, most people do not train with weights intensely. What is the normal range for hard trainers? What is the rate of aortic aneurysm in hard trainers. Athletes are different. How that effects your measurements I don't know enough about these measurements to really say but the answers to my questions would be interesting.

On an ultrasound or echocardiogram, this is probably just slightly different techinique in measureing it. We are talking about 2 mm difference. Do another one in 6 months. I doubt its anything serious. Is there any aortic regurg (leaking of the valve)?

I had my heart looked at two years ago. My aortic valve was 3.9 cm, almost dilated! My cardiologist gave me a 50lb weight limit, doubled my lisinopril and added amlodipine!!

After I talked to my primary he kinda laughed and told me not to worry and that it’s not even dilated. Obviously if yours is getting bigger that’s something to keep an eye on but I originally took my results as a death sentence.

I swear, 1200 MG of NAC every morning cleared out my liver and minimized peripheral resistance. I’m down to just half my lisinopril now even after every health care profesional said I’d never be headed towards no bp meds ever again.

I guess I just mean to say do your own research and be careful man!!

Same boat here bro. Been a lifetime athelete in martial arts and started heavy lifting with 531 back 9 years ago. Was on TRT dosages with occasional orals. Had an echo, 4.0 cm ascending aorta. Got 4 opinions. All said it was most likely the result of the heavy lifting making structural changes to the heart. 3 said keep checking every 8 months or so, but other than that, just don't lift heavy. 1 said stop everything (no realistic in my opinion).

I continued my TRT dose, But lifting changed just a bit.

What I've done is just do 225 for everything, bench, squat, deadlift, etc... and just do 5-8 sets of as many reps as I can do. I did that for 8 months and checked again, no growth in the aorta. It seems this protocol is enough to keep it from growing.

Back