Sound bars or something else?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,297 Posts
    Rep Points

Sound bars or something else?

So for the wife's bday I bought her book cases. She loves to read and the books are stacking up. Anyway we had two units on the sides of the TV and they had our surround sound HK system with a sub in the bottom. We also used this for music as it's a full on system not some cheap little unit for just movies.

Issues are the new cases are not deep enough for the system so I'm looking for something else that is small that will give off good sound. Shoot I've even thought about wiring everything in the walk in coat closet but issues would be not being able to use the remote and have to go into the closest to turn it on and turn it up or down.
    Ideas? I'm not familiar with the new small systems. Do they give good sound?

Gym Derelict

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,108 Posts
    Rep Points

Subbed.

I had a Definitive Technology sound system with center, side and rear speakers with a sub woofer and starting to think with new technology there is something as good in maybe a sound bar or something not as bulky (?)

ASF MVP
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9,107 Posts
    Rep Points

I used to have the full sound system setup. I'm down to just sound bar and sub. Love it. The space trade off is worth it, imo. Having said that, my hearing has been going for a long time, so I kind of lost the ability to tell *which* direction sounds were actually coming from. So the true surround vs the imitated surround wasn't a difference for me. It might be if you're a real audiophile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,297 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Multislacking View Post
    I used to have the full sound system setup. I'm down to just sound bar and sub. Love it. The space trade off is worth it, imo. Having said that, my hearing has been going for a long time, so I kind of lost the ability to tell *which* direction sounds were actually coming from. So the true surround vs the imitated surround wasn't a difference for me. It might be if you're a real audiophile.
    We bought a Sonos but I don't like the sound. Its good for the garage in my opinion.
    But yes space is now a issue so I'm going to have to dig a bit unless I want to do some major wiring to the closet.

ASF MVP
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9,107 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime916 View Post
    We bought a Sonos but I don't like the sound. Its good for the garage in my opinion.
    But yes space is now a issue so I'm going to have to dig a bit unless I want to do some major wiring to the closet.
    I will say that I moved the old sound system into the gym. So I still have it and use it. But the sound bar and sub are more than adequate for typical tv/movie watching (at least for an old deaf guy).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,297 Posts
    Rep Points

I will say that I moved the old sound system into the gym. So I still have it and use it. But the sound bar and sub are more than adequate for typical tv/movie watching (at least for an old deaf guy).
    Thats cool but I like to play music in the house as well and have a good balance of sound with a EQ. How does it sound with music?

ASF MVP
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9,107 Posts
    Rep Points

Thats cool but I like to play music in the house as well and have a good balance of sound with a EQ. How does it sound with music?
    Again, old deaf guy opinion. But...it sounds pretty dang good for what it is. I like my music and I like it loud. It is no where near as loud as my old system. But...the quality is better at the same decibels (again, as far as my hearing can tell). That's why I'm saying if you're a REAL audiophile, it's not going to be the same. Adequate maybe, but not the same. But keep listening to loud music and you'll be where I'm at in a few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,297 Posts
    Rep Points

Again, old deaf guy opinion. But...it sounds pretty dang good for what it is. I like my music and I like it loud. It is no where near as loud as my old system. But...the quality is better at the same decibels (again, as far as my hearing can tell). That's why I'm saying if you're a REAL audiophile, it's not going to be the same. Adequate maybe, but not the same. But keep listening to loud music and you'll be where I'm at in a few years.
    Haha I got ya. I'm more worried adjustments. The Sonos has none. It's you get what you get kind of deal.

Super duper mod

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,661 Posts
    Rep Points

Mount them in the closet like you talked about if thatís an option and get https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Repe...23447038&psc=1
    Advanced 2.0 the pip hits like a hammer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    774 Posts
    Rep Points

I think if you get a sub with your sound bar you should be good. Iíve never heard a sound bar that sounded good without one. I think it makes a big difference.

Super Fuckin User

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    298 Posts
    Rep Points

I think Samsung makes great sound bars for mantle etc. For the money it's great...

Otherwise. Always BOSE
    Ready On Deck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,349 Posts
    Rep Points

I have a 65" Samsung 7 Series smart tv and to hook this to my older Pioneer stereo system I bought an optical to RCA audio converter and it works great and I can get nice sound from my TV thru my stereo. To add HDMI ports for the Playstation, DVD player and the internet radio device I also got an HDMI port replicator to add 4 more ports to the TV which also reduces the wear on the TV's HDMI ports.
    Last edited by MindlessWork; 06-03-2021 at 06:10 PM.
    Show me

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,185 Posts
    Rep Points

Sound bar with sub is what I use and then went and got surround speakers to put up. Works better than my old Sony setup that took up way too much room. I donít play CDís or DVDís so all of that nonsense was just that. My sound bar is mounted on the wall just under the TV, sub is in the entertainment center bellow that and I put 6 surround speakers throughout my living room (2 on the same wall as the TV but up in the corners, 2 just behind the couch up in the corners and to that mount in the ceiling on the right and left side of the living room about center. The sound is amazing when watching movies. My sound bar also has an equalizer with Movie, TV, Music and Gaming settings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,349 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sherk View Post
    Sound bar with sub is what I use and then went and got surround speakers to put up. Works better than my old Sony setup that took up way too much room. I donít play CDís or DVDís so all of that nonsense was just that. My sound bar is mounted on the wall just under the TV, sub is in the entertainment center bellow that and I put 6 surround speakers throughout my living room (2 on the same wall as the TV but up in the corners, 2 just behind the couch up in the corners and to that mount in the ceiling on the right and left side of the living room about center. The sound is amazing when watching movies. My sound bar also has an equalizer with Movie, TV, Music and Gaming settings.
    Soundbars are nice in the bedroom as I have a 32" set there and a soundbar just might be the ticket for better sound on that relatively small set. I really don't listen to CD's in the bedroom but do stream SiriusXM thru the TV via a Roku.
    Last edited by MindlessWork; 06-03-2021 at 06:20 PM.
    Show me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,297 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by frank zazz View Post
    Mount them in the closet like you talked about if thatís an option and get https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Repe...23447038&psc=1
    Oh that looks good I'm going to try that!