• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

This variant of the leg curl is the most effective

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
This variant of the leg curl is the most effective
If your gym has different types of leg curl machines, invest a minute and a half of your precious time reading this post. Not all variants of the leg curl are equally effective when it comes to hypertrophy.

seated-leg-curl-versus-prone-leg-curl.jpg

Study

Sumiaki Maeo, a Japanese exercise scientist affiliated with Ritsumeikan University, got 20 young men to train their legs twice a week with a leg curl machine for 12 weeks. The men consistently trained one leg on a seated leg curl machine, and the other leg on a prone leg curl machine. Before and after the 12 weeks, Maeo took scans of the men's hamstrings and determined by what percentage the volume of these muscles had increased.
hamstrings.jpg

Results
The seated leg curl produced a greater increase in hamstring muscle mass than the prone leg curl. The first variant resulted in an increase in total hamstring muscle mass of 14.1 percent, the second variant resulted in an increase of 9.3 percent.

sitting-versus-standing-leg-curls.jpg

Most hamstrings have two functions. They bend the lower leg towards the thigh, and they bend the thigh towards the trunk. So when you sit, your hamstrings are already a bit lengthened and under tension. This apparently means that you can train them better, the researchers think.
Source:
Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2021 Apr 1;53(4):825-37.

Seated leg curl is more comfortable to me as being prone tends to put pressure on knees.

Of course! Another reason for a gym leg day w machines!! I knew I had to go for a reason! Lol

Max

I like to lean a little forward on the seated leg curls while curling, seems like I get a better stretch and a better contraction could just be me though.

I like to lean a little forward on the seated leg curls while curling, seems like I get a better stretch and a better contraction could just be me though.
I do that as well, and sometimes hold at the top of the rep (legs under the seat) till there's a burn.

Last edited:
The standing leg curl is also excellent.

Hard to do... good contraction.

Prone is nice when some hot girl gets on it ass up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back