Failure training

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    281 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    Rest pause sets of 15+ reps are not equal to straight sets of 15+ Reps.

I would completely disagree that sets of 20-30 reps, if done in "normal" fashion promote growth in the same way that sets done in the 6-12 rep range do.

If you mean rest pause sets or cluster sets, yeah. But, even those sets aren't really high rep. They're simply low rep sets with short test periods.

Legs can be an exception.
    Ive never seen any evidence that higher rep ranges produce less growth. Thereís plenty of studies that show up until 30 reps you can get the same hypertrophic adaptation if the effort is there.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,149 Posts
    Rep Points

Brad Schoenfeld has a lot of research out there that supports the 6-12 rep range is superior for growing tissue but, there are caviats such as volume, load, rest periods, nutrition, set types, metabolic stress and so on which would apply to either approach.

The best evidence though is the tens of thousands of bodybuilders who have grown tissue this way.

Can't say the same for higher rep sets. Legs excluded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by BTC View Post
    Until i just switched up training to something new everything was minimum 20 reps if not more to goddamn near failure. You're still going to grow either way. No sense being in constant pain. I still bench heavy cause i enjoy it when i feel like it. If you're not competing in Powerlifting or whatever who cares about heavy heavy.
    Whoever said golfers elbow... that's an easy fix btw.
    Ah.... whatís the fix for golfers elbow?! Iíve tried so many things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    281 Posts
    Rep Points

Brad Schoenfeld has a lot of research out there that supports the 6-12 rep range is superior for growing tissue but, there are caviats such as volume, load, rest periods, nutrition, set types, metabolic stress and so on which would apply to either approach.

The best evidence though is the tens of thousands of bodybuilders who have grown tissue this way.

What rep ranges do you recommend older guys use? Is it 10-12 for upper body?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    281 Posts
    Rep Points

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/hy...-fact-fiction/

Just read this itís good read. Not saying youíre wrong, but I think 15 reps is a pretty safe area.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bft84 View Post
    If you're on gear and train intense and eat enough then any rep range will work.
    RIP Big Lou

All statements made by BTC are for entertainment purposes only. Not meant to be taken literally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    Ah.... whatís the fix for golfers elbow?! Iíve tried so many things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shoot me a pm bro. I'll explain. Its a fix for golfers elbow, tennis elbow, rear elbow tri tendon issues, bicep tendon, brachioradialis ect
    RIP Big Lou

All statements made by BTC are for entertainment purposes only. Not meant to be taken literally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    281 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by BTC View Post
    If you're on gear and train intense and eat enough then any rep range will work.
    I donít think gear really changes it that much. Recovery wise yes, but it doesnít make any rep range more effective.if you train with enough effort progressively and eat enough that the rep range doesnít matter all that much. If a guy goes from benching 135 to 400 then he will be bigger regardless of rep range. Now Iíd argue the guy who could squat 400 for 15-20 will have bigger legs than if he was only able to do it for 6-10. The same goes for any movement
    I agree with you I just donít think it matters if youíre on gear on not
    Last edited by Bft84; 05-11-2021 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Rep Points

I donít think gear really changes it that much. Recovery wise yes, but it doesnít make any rep range more effective.if you train with enough effort progressively and eat enough that the rep range doesnít matter all that much. If a guy goes from benching 135 to 400 then he will be bigger regardless of rep range. Now Iíd argue the guy who could squat 400 for 15-20 will have bigger legs than if he was only able to do it for 6-10. The same goes for any movement
    What i mean is more like, the natty kid in the gym doing 20, 30, 50 reps on various things versus.... the geared guy is just doing aerobics after a point.
    I used to do crazy high sets for legs, 50, 100 reps ect on the sled. There was a young kid always up my ass about it and i told him don't do what i do it won't work the same for you. He did it anyways... of course... hit me a month later and told me his legs weren't growing and looked like they had gotten slightly smaller.
    Just meaning with lots of things geared guys can get away with more things natty guys can't.
    RIP Big Lou

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,149 Posts
    Rep Points

It varies and covers multiple rep ranges.

Pigeon holing yourself into a certain mindset, especially when it comes to bodybuilding, isn't very productive.

I do have most every guy perform the Majority of their work in the 8-12 range with cluster, back off sets, muscle rounds and pump sets added in depending on the goal for that session.

All rep ranges can be beneficial, IF, they're used at the correct points

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    281 Posts
    Rep Points

It varies and covers multiple rep ranges.

Pigeon holing yourself into a certain mindset, especially when it comes to bodybuilding, isn't very productive.

I do have most every guy perform the Majority of their work in the 8-12 range with cluster, back off sets, muscle rounds and pump sets added in depending on the goal for that session.

All rep ranges can be beneficial, IF, they're used at the correct points
    I appreciate the answer and letting me pick your brain. If I remember correctly youíre a lower volume guy right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,139 Posts
    Rep Points

I don't know if I quite agree with that, because personally once I work up to a certain weight (on compound lifts or even some isos) for 6-8 reps, I don't really see any additional growth by getting the reps any higher to say 10-12. If anything I almost feel like I lose size with higher reps just burning up glycogen and fluid. I suppose it depends on your fiber type, as myself have shitty endurance in nearly everything I do and have never responded well to higher reps, drop sets or extended sets, etc.
    Last edited by ArgonCoagulator; 05-11-2021 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    281 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ArgonCoagulator View Post
    I don't know if I quite agree with that, because personally once I work up to a certain weight (on compound lifts or even some isos) for 6-8 reps, I don't really see any additional growth by getting the reps any higher to say 10-12. If anything I almost feel like I lose size with higher reps just burning up glycogen and fluid. I suppose it depends on your fiber type, as myself have shitty endurance in nearly everything I do and have never responded well to higher reps, drop sets or extended sets, etc.
    so you donít think a guy who can bench say 300 for 20 reps would have a bigger chest than a guy who could only do it for 6-10?

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,149 Posts
    Rep Points

I appreciate the answer and letting me pick your brain. If I remember correctly youíre a lower volume guy right?
    Np. Yeah I am a lower volume higher frequency advocate

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,147 Posts
    Rep Points

On heavy compound movements I'm very prone to preexisting injuries on the last few reps where I struggle. Squats and leg press I have to leave 3-5 reps in the tank but with something like leg extensions I can go to failure no problem. Same thing with any overhead pressing, have to leave some reps on the table but with lateral raises can go to failure. I have degenerative arthritis and collapsed disks in my neck and low back with nerve impingement. Also have a pec that is tearing off my sternum on one side similar to Scott Steiner. Have other issues too. Really had to back off my training and PED use in the last couple years.
    IRONLION LABS
    Quality HGH, Raws and Peptides
    Wickr: ironlionlabs

Click here**PLEASE READ THE RULES**