Failure training

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
  1. #16
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    789

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    642
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    417
    Thanked in
    281 Posts
    Rep Points
    10677225

    Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    Rest pause sets of 15+ reps are not equal to straight sets of 15+ Reps.

    I would completely disagree that sets of 20-30 reps, if done in "normal" fashion promote growth in the same way that sets done in the 6-12 rep range do.

    If you mean rest pause sets or cluster sets, yeah. But, even those sets aren't really high rep. They're simply low rep sets with short test periods.

    Legs can be an exception.
    Ive never seen any evidence that higher rep ranges produce less growth. Thereís plenty of studies that show up until 30 reps you can get the same hypertrophic adaptation if the effort is there.

  2. #17
    Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD
    Montego1's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    21,214

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,677
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9,648
    Thanked in
    5,149 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Brad Schoenfeld has a lot of research out there that supports the 6-12 rep range is superior for growing tissue but, there are caviats such as volume, load, rest periods, nutrition, set types, metabolic stress and so on which would apply to either approach.

    The best evidence though is the tens of thousands of bodybuilders who have grown tissue this way.

    Can't say the same for higher rep sets. Legs excluded.

  3. #18
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    62

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    74
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    27
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Rep Points
    270100

    Quote Originally Posted by BTC View Post
    Until i just switched up training to something new everything was minimum 20 reps if not more to goddamn near failure. You're still going to grow either way. No sense being in constant pain. I still bench heavy cause i enjoy it when i feel like it. If you're not competing in Powerlifting or whatever who cares about heavy heavy.
    Whoever said golfers elbow... that's an easy fix btw.
    Ah.... whatís the fix for golfers elbow?! Iíve tried so many things.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #19
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    789

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    642
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    417
    Thanked in
    281 Posts
    Rep Points
    10677225

    Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    Brad Schoenfeld has a lot of research out there that supports the 6-12 rep range is superior for growing tissue but, there are caviats such as volume, load, rest periods, nutrition, set types, metabolic stress and so on which would apply to either approach.

    The best evidence though is the tens of thousands of bodybuilders who have grown tissue this way.

    Can't say the same for higher rep sets. Legs excluded.
    What rep ranges do you recommend older guys use? Is it 10-12 for upper body?

  5. #20
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    789

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    642
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    417
    Thanked in
    281 Posts
    Rep Points
    10677225

    Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    Brad Schoenfeld has a lot of research out there that supports the 6-12 rep range is superior for growing tissue but, there are caviats such as volume, load, rest periods, nutrition, set types, metabolic stress and so on which would apply to either approach.

    The best evidence though is the tens of thousands of bodybuilders who have grown tissue this way.

    Can't say the same for higher rep sets. Legs excluded.
    https://www.strongerbyscience.com/hy...-fact-fiction/

    Just read this itís good read. Not saying youíre wrong, but I think 15 reps is a pretty safe area.

  6. #21
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    El Halluf
    Posts
    3,408

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    26
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    94
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Bft84 View Post
    What rep ranges do you recommend older guys use? Is it 10-12 for upper body?
    If you're on gear and train intense and eat enough then any rep range will work.
    RIP Big Lou

    All statements made by BTC are for entertainment purposes only. Not meant to be taken literally.

  7. #22
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    El Halluf
    Posts
    3,408

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    26
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    94
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    Ah.... whatís the fix for golfers elbow?! Iíve tried so many things.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shoot me a pm bro. I'll explain. Its a fix for golfers elbow, tennis elbow, rear elbow tri tendon issues, bicep tendon, brachioradialis ect
    RIP Big Lou

    All statements made by BTC are for entertainment purposes only. Not meant to be taken literally.

  8. #23
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    789

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    642
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    417
    Thanked in
    281 Posts
    Rep Points
    10677225

    Quote Originally Posted by BTC View Post
    If you're on gear and train intense and eat enough then any rep range will work.
    I donít think gear really changes it that much. Recovery wise yes, but it doesnít make any rep range more effective.if you train with enough effort progressively and eat enough that the rep range doesnít matter all that much. If a guy goes from benching 135 to 400 then he will be bigger regardless of rep range. Now Iíd argue the guy who could squat 400 for 15-20 will have bigger legs than if he was only able to do it for 6-10. The same goes for any movement
    I agree with you I just donít think it matters if youíre on gear on not
    Last edited by Bft84; 05-11-2021 at 04:57 PM.

  9. #24
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    El Halluf
    Posts
    3,408

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    26
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    94
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Bft84 View Post
    I donít think gear really changes it that much. Recovery wise yes, but it doesnít make any rep range more effective.if you train with enough effort progressively and eat enough that the rep range doesnít matter all that much. If a guy goes from benching 135 to 400 then he will be bigger regardless of rep range. Now Iíd argue the guy who could squat 400 for 15-20 will have bigger legs than if he was only able to do it for 6-10. The same goes for any movement
    I agree with you I just donít think it matters if youíre on gear on not
    What i mean is more like, the natty kid in the gym doing 20, 30, 50 reps on various things versus.... the geared guy is just doing aerobics after a point.
    I used to do crazy high sets for legs, 50, 100 reps ect on the sled. There was a young kid always up my ass about it and i told him don't do what i do it won't work the same for you. He did it anyways... of course... hit me a month later and told me his legs weren't growing and looked like they had gotten slightly smaller.
    Just meaning with lots of things geared guys can get away with more things natty guys can't.
    RIP Big Lou

    All statements made by BTC are for entertainment purposes only. Not meant to be taken literally.

  10. #25
    Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD
    Montego1's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    21,214

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,677
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9,648
    Thanked in
    5,149 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Bft84 View Post
    What rep ranges do you recommend older guys use? Is it 10-12 for upper body?
    It varies and covers multiple rep ranges.

    Pigeon holing yourself into a certain mindset, especially when it comes to bodybuilding, isn't very productive.

    I do have most every guy perform the Majority of their work in the 8-12 range with cluster, back off sets, muscle rounds and pump sets added in depending on the goal for that session.

    All rep ranges can be beneficial, IF, they're used at the correct points

  11. #26
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    789

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    642
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    417
    Thanked in
    281 Posts
    Rep Points
    10677225

    Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    It varies and covers multiple rep ranges.

    Pigeon holing yourself into a certain mindset, especially when it comes to bodybuilding, isn't very productive.

    I do have most every guy perform the Majority of their work in the 8-12 range with cluster, back off sets, muscle rounds and pump sets added in depending on the goal for that session.

    All rep ranges can be beneficial, IF, they're used at the correct points
    I appreciate the answer and letting me pick your brain. If I remember correctly youíre a lower volume guy right?

  12. #27
    Registered User
    ArgonCoagulator's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    In Trenwithdrawal
    Posts
    2,859

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,283
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,481
    Thanked in
    1,139 Posts
    Rep Points
    469954997

    Quote Originally Posted by Bft84 View Post
    I donít think gear really changes it that much. Recovery wise yes, but it doesnít make any rep range more effective.if you train with enough effort progressively and eat enough that the rep range doesnít matter all that much. If a guy goes from benching 135 to 400 then he will be bigger regardless of rep range. Now Iíd argue the guy who could squat 400 for 15-20 will have bigger legs than if he was only able to do it for 6-10. The same goes for any movement
    I agree with you I just donít think it matters if youíre on gear on not
    I don't know if I quite agree with that, because personally once I work up to a certain weight (on compound lifts or even some isos) for 6-8 reps, I don't really see any additional growth by getting the reps any higher to say 10-12. If anything I almost feel like I lose size with higher reps just burning up glycogen and fluid. I suppose it depends on your fiber type, as myself have shitty endurance in nearly everything I do and have never responded well to higher reps, drop sets or extended sets, etc.
    Last edited by ArgonCoagulator; 05-11-2021 at 06:18 PM.

  13. #28
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    789

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    642
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    417
    Thanked in
    281 Posts
    Rep Points
    10677225

    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonCoagulator View Post
    I don't know if I quite agree with that, because personally once I work up to a certain weight (on compound lifts or even some isos) for 6-8 reps, I don't really see any additional growth by getting the reps any higher to say 10-12. If anything I almost feel like I lose size with higher reps just burning up glycogen and fluid. I suppose it depends on your fiber type, as myself have shitty endurance in nearly everything I do and have never responded well to higher reps, drop sets or extended sets, etc.
    so you donít think a guy who can bench say 300 for 20 reps would have a bigger chest than a guy who could only do it for 6-10?

  14. #29
    Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD
    Montego1's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    21,214

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,677
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9,648
    Thanked in
    5,149 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Bft84 View Post
    I appreciate the answer and letting me pick your brain. If I remember correctly youíre a lower volume guy right?
    Np. Yeah I am a lower volume higher frequency advocate

  15. #30
    Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD
    REHH's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    13,964

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,419
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,763
    Thanked in
    3,147 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    On heavy compound movements I'm very prone to preexisting injuries on the last few reps where I struggle. Squats and leg press I have to leave 3-5 reps in the tank but with something like leg extensions I can go to failure no problem. Same thing with any overhead pressing, have to leave some reps on the table but with lateral raises can go to failure. I have degenerative arthritis and collapsed disks in my neck and low back with nerve impingement. Also have a pec that is tearing off my sternum on one side similar to Scott Steiner. Have other issues too. Really had to back off my training and PED use in the last couple years.
    IRONLION LABS
    Quality HGH, Raws and Peptides
    Contact: ironlion@keemail.me
    Website: www.ironlion-lab.is
    Wickr: ironlionlabs


    Click here**PLEASE READ THE RULES**

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2021, 11:06 AM
  2. Training to Failure
    By The Admin in forum Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2019, 02:02 PM
  3. Training to Failure
    By DUTCHPHARMA in forum Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-13-2017, 12:54 PM
  4. Training to Failure
    By Intense in forum Muscle Central
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-23-2015, 02:54 AM
  5. Training Beyond Failure
    By The Admin in forum Muscle Central
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2013, 04:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright© 2012-2021 Anabolic Steroid Discussion Forums