Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Lee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,408 Posts
    Rep Points

Bruce Lee

Whatís everyoneís opinion on Bruce Lee? Was he a real legit badass or just a pretty poser? I personally donít know much about the guys life other than what Iíve seen in a few of his movies and a few partial matches on the net. Based on that Iím saying he was just a pretty boy poser. Not ripping on him because he became Uber successful and rich and looked good in everything he did. Iím just not sure that makes him a legit bad ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts
    Rep Points

There are a few Jeet Kune Do gyms in Seattle that are run by Bruce Lee Students. I have studied Street Style Wing Chun with someone who is a few steps removed from Bruce Lee. I have also ďtried Shaolin Temple 6th gen Kung FuĒ and could not hang because back then I was a out of shape bitch. Each one has taught me successful fighting skills.

I would suggest that before you question someones fighting skill or their legacy, that you should search out the answer for yourself by training within whoeverís family of martial arts you wish to question. You may learn how to fight, but if you are not true to the reason and journey, donít waste a gym, itís members or the Sifuís time.

Also spend a couple weeks training and you will discover pain in muscles you did not realize you had. Also a 60 year old who has been training for years will have you by your nuts, male or female.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,408 Posts
    Rep Points

Iím confused. So your saying he was a badass for real then? The reason would be because?

Also maybe I will go out and enroll in one of his direct students gyms so hopefully I can learn to fight. 😇😇😇

Also bud I would never question anyoneís legacy for many reasons but the biggest would be who the fuck am I. I was just asking if anyone thought that he could really fight and was a badass at it. I still havenít seen him in a real fight other than those weak ass point tournaments. Sorry if those made someone a real badass then the Karate Kid would be the King. Not Bruce.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts
    Rep Points

Ok

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,408 Posts
    Rep Points

Not really but itís early yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Rep Points

He was a legit bad ass, and possibly one of the first ever martial artists to incorporate different styles. Read his book, Tao of Jeet Kune Do, while it may have changed, originally Dan Inosanto was the only student allowed to teach JKD, since then many Dojos have opened which are some form of JKD. Many are not. If you have studied Wing Chun or any original form of Chinese Kung Fu, it is painful. I found it very hard on the body, as said above, muscular pains, but the mental and well being side of martial arts I gained has lasted a lifetime.

In a street fight, there are many different forms that you maybe able to use to attack or defend, 9/10 it is that confidence studying martial arts that can allow you to walk away.

FYi I studied Chinese Kung Fu, and Aikido.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by butchsandance77 View Post
    He was a legit bad ass, and possibly one of the first ever martial artists to incorporate different styles. Read his book, Tao of Jeet Kune Do, while it may have changed, originally Dan Inosanto was the only student allowed to teach JKD, since then many Dojos have opened which are some form of JKD. Many are not. If you have studied Wing Chun or any original form of Chinese Kung Fu, it is painful. I found it very hard on the body, as said above, muscular pains, but the mental and well being side of martial arts I gained has lasted a lifetime.

In a street fight, there are many different forms that you maybe able to use to attack or defend, 9/10 it is that confidence studying martial arts that can allow you to walk away.

FYi I studied Chinese Kung Fu, and Aikido.
    I was taught to use the skills I learned to walk away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Rep Points

Guy was ahead of his time he used to hookup tens units before it was a actual thing and fight the electricity he would practice his movements while them muscles were spazzing out. You gotta remember the size to of him compared to the 1" punch in a martial arts event where he knocked a guy on his ass with it. Ima big mean heavyweight ammy fighter I would think twice about fighting a 145lb pro lot more experience there.

Carpet-Chewer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,183 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by AR-15 View Post
    Not really but itís early yet.
    I think Bruce Lee capitalized on abilities at just the right time...got into movies and made some fame. Probably not the best fighter in history or anything.

Let me ask you as an ex MMA fighter, what would be your odds going up against some black belt? Is knowing karate really practical, when it matters?

They/Them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    733 Posts
    Rep Points

I saw this documentary called "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" that had a little bit of time devoted to Bruce Lee.

Apparently Brad Pitt whooped up on him pretty good back in the 60s... Kurt Russell was fuckin pissed.

I could just be confused though, I don't know...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,408 Posts
    Rep Points

Ooof. Kind of a loaded question for me but Iím certainly happy to give you my opinion. Just remember itís my opinion. Iím not looking to argue with anyone who takes offense to this because we all know a karate guy will tell you Karate is the best for everything and a Kung Fu guy will say his style is best. IMO that way of thinking is just wrong when it comes to real self defense. Disciplines like Karate IMO are more geared towards parents who are looking for a long term way to teach their kids about honor, discipline, breathing, integrity. The pros are many but self defense is very low on that list.

Hereís a perfect example because my wife and kids mean everything to me. I hold two black belts in martial arts however when it was time for my kids to learn self defense the very first thing I did was put them all in a boxing program. In real life 95% of the time your gonna us your hands to defend yourself not a Kata like in Karate. Only after they completed the program and all felt and looked like they could intelligently defend themselves with their hands did I step in. Then I taught them Judo second and then I taught them Jujitsu third. IMO they were taught in terms of practicality with self defense for real life situations.

Just remember a kick thrown by an untrained person probably results in that person being on their back 75% of the time. Hands and elbows 1st , body throws and tosses 2nd, 3rd would be locks, submissions etc.

The guys did have it right though when they said they always run first. The above is for when you canít. Hope my opinion helps bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustine5I View Post
    I think Bruce Lee capitalized on abilities at just the right time...got into movies and made some fame. Probably not the best fighter in history or anything.

Let me ask you as an ex MMA fighter, what would be your odds going up against some black belt? Is knowing karate really practical, when it matters?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,408 Posts
    Rep Points

Lol Well you were close bro. Once upon a time in Hollywood was an actual movie that came out a few years ago. It wasnít a documentary. It was kind of a spoof on how Hollywood was and did during the Manson killings. Brad pit did kick Bruce Lees ass though. Pretty funny part of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by CastorTroy01 View Post
    I saw this documentary called "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" that had a little bit of time devoted to Bruce Lee.

Apparently Brad Pitt whooped up on him pretty good back in the 60s... Kurt Russell was fuckin pissed.

I could just be confused though, I don't know...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    708 Posts
    Rep Points

While I was not a professional MMA fighter. I did fight in MMA for short time. I wrestled all through high school until my Jr year was a state champ in my weight class. I boxed for three years(same coach as Rich Franklin, just years before Franklin come around), took Muay Thai for 8 months, but I fell in love with Jujitsu. I never trained to get any belts, but I have beaten brown belts at local tourneys back in the day. I was self taught with some training from notable but not famous practitioners. This was all between 1992-2005ish. I was a notorious street fighter and was a bouncer part time. I only bring this up to show my credentials.

Bruce Lee was ahead of his time in many aspects. However if he was to fight in today's crop of fighters even in a weight class division for his size, I do not feel like he would be "elite". Though that is merely my opinion and conjecture. He may have adjusted even more and accomplished great things. Though, iirc he once admitted after watching or studying with Gene "Buddy" Labell Bruce realized that most grapplers at the time would demolish most strikers/arts. He commented something like even with just a year of grappling training a person could defeat 20 year grand masters with ease. This was before the emphasis on take down defense, etc.

They/Them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    733 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by AR-15 View Post
    Lol Well you were close bro. Once upon a time in Hollywood was an actual movie that came out a few years ago. It wasnít a documentary. It was kind of a spoof on how Hollywood was and did during the Manson killings. Brad pit did kick Bruce Lees ass though. Pretty funny part of the movie.
    Haha I know dude, I was just being a dumb ass on purpose. I do that a lot, sometimes I think since it's written instead of spoken some people on here probably think I'm a fuckin retard. Normally if you see me write some completely stupid shit, it's just a joke lol.

I completely agree too with your order of importance in self defense skills you laid out before. Karate, Tae Kwon Doe, etc. can all teach some valid skills, like how to load some power into a kick but for the most part it's full of impractical stuff, which is why you don't see much of it in MMA. MMA invalidated pretty much all of the kung-fu, my body is a lethal weapon shit.

It's even been crazy to watch the evolution of MMA in MMA. For the longest time I thought that rule changes (5 minute rounds, standing up inactive grounded fighters) were the only reason why high level fighters preferred to stand and strike so much lately, but now I think that the reason is also because so many high level fighters are such high level grapplers that they have started to nullify each other's ground games, so all that's left is to stand and strike. Every once in a while a freak like Khabib comes along and can enact his will on other fighters but obviously someone like Joyce Gracie would get killed these days.
    Last edited by CastorTroy01; 04-02-2021 at 05:05 AM.

ASF MVP
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13,150 Posts
    Rep Points

This is all kind of comparing apples to oranges. Like who wins a fight between a boxer and a wrestler, etc. I will say Bruce Lee was freaking impressive. His conditioning was legend. And his short punches epic.

Dude has been dead for decades and we're talking about him. That should tell you something.