I want to cancel cable

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    296 Posts
    Rep Points

I want to cancel cable

Ok, so like the title states, I want to cancel cable, I have two houses and pay Comcast 480 a month. right now our main viewing is watching MASH reruns for an hour each night and I like to watch a lot of golf on the weekends. Our other house is a vacation home with basiclly the same viewing when we are there. So how do I cut the cable and still view what I want. What sttreamming apps will allow me to do that without getting back to 480 a month...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    629 Posts
    Rep Points

Check out Pluto app. Free tv-ish

For a full price list email: OrderSBlabs@protonmail.com

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,444 Posts
    Rep Points

Wow man, thats crazy, 480

We cut cable years ago. We don't watch TV at all, just movies and some shows.

We have HULU and we have Netflix. Netflix can piss me off bc it's political BS, but they've tapered it down a bit, or Ill just shut it off.

We also have Prime. Between all those I dont even recall what we pay a month? Maybe like $50 for all of it. And of course we watch the DVD collection I own here and there.

NO LIMITS.
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,002 Posts
    Rep Points

I don’t watch golf or mash reruns so I cant help you there.

find some new ideas for programming with these apps;
    Netflix under 15 bucks
    Hulu free is an option or they have a pay plan
    HBO 15 bucks
    showtime 10 bucks
    Vudu free but is mostly pay per view but they do have some free programming

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IM>ASF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,566 Posts
    Rep Points

I cancelled too, I was paying I think around 230$ and what I found was the same ten channels over and over again and they tell you its 500 channels, mostly I was tired how everything became political, not just news but cartoons and commercials as well. I have amazon prime, and hulu had a special 1.99 a month

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    296 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by GYMnTONIC View Post
    Wow man, thats crazy, 480

We cut cable years ago. We don't watch TV at all, just movies and some shows.

We have HULU and we have Netflix. Netflix can piss me off bc it's political BS, but they've tapered it down a bit, or Ill just shut it off.

We also have Prime. Between all those I dont even recall what we pay a month? Maybe like $50 for all of it. And of course we watch the DVD collection I own here and there.
    I have Prime for the delivery side of it but rarely use it for TV, I use a relatives netflix account, but are there streaming apps that I can watch 6 hours of golf live on the weekend if I want? I know I would have to readjust my viewing habits. I am so set on walking in the room hitting the tv on and scanning the guide for what I want to watch. streaming just seems so difficult to manage. it takes me so long to find something good on netflix I usually just put the regular tv back on. I need to be reprogrammed and that the advice i'm looking for, how do you reprogram yourself to cut the cable, is cold turkey the answer?...

ASF MVP
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9,152 Posts
    Rep Points

Is your internet provided through cable? That's going to be what screws your scenario if it is. You'll still end up having to find an isp and paying for it. Usually when people are paying $480 a month (even for 2 houses), it's because there is only ONE game in town and they are paying premium for it. Are there alternative providers in your area?

IM>ASF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,566 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by reddog309 View Post
    I have Prime for the delivery side of it but rarely use it for TV, I use a relatives netflix account, but are there streaming apps that I can watch 6 hours of golf live on the weekend if I want? I know I would have to readjust my viewing habits. I am so set on walking in the room hitting the tv on and scanning the guide for what I want to watch. streaming just seems so difficult to manage. it takes me so long to find something good on netflix I usually just put the regular tv back on. I need to be reprogrammed and that the advice i'm looking for, how do you reprogram yourself to cut the cable, is cold turkey the answer?...
    cancel and upgrade internet, hulu has local news channels, I think my wife catches GMA on there, if you cant find sports/game you want on hulu just ask wes for the link

IM>ASF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,566 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Multislacking View Post
    Is your internet provided through cable? That's going to be what screws your scenario if it is. You'll still end up having to find an isp and paying for it. Usually when people are paying $480 a month (even for 2 houses), it's because there is only ONE game in town and they are paying premium for it. Are there alternative providers in your area?
    I use cable internet for the speed, but returned my cable TV boxes. same difference

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    296 Posts
    Rep Points

In my main house,verizon is in the area and I did have them in my house before, I could switch and get back to a 99 dollar plan which ends up being 130 with taxes and other shit.
    my wife freaks every month she has to pay those two bills. and like I said for the amount we watch tv I should be able to just cut it out. Right now my internet also comes from comcast..

IM>ASF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,566 Posts
    Rep Points

the new TVs have the apps on them, netflix, hulu, amazon prime video

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,024 Posts
    Rep Points

I'm going to be cancelling my cable again here soon. I also have a Netflix account. I realized a week ago that I might watch a hour of cable then switch to Netflix for an hour and a half then go to bed. So it's kinda a waste to keep it.

ASF MVP
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9,152 Posts
    Rep Points

Plex is another option for streaming. But it's kind of like you said, you have to retrain yourself as to what you watch. I will cycle through netflix, amazon, plex, hulu, disney, and firestick. Firestick can be hacked and you can get a LOT of stuff through it. It's a pain to keep updated though, and some of the stuff is hit and miss in quality, so it can get frustrating. I usually only go to firestick if I'm desperate to watch something new. The only services I pay for are netflix and prime. The rest is shared accounts through the family. It works out pretty well, one family member paying for a service and sharing their account (which is "legal" in most circumstances, since services allow multiple family accounts). I share my netflix and prime with them, they share their services with me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,299 Posts
    Rep Points

Search IPTV on YouTube. I've been out of the game for a while because we've had the same service for years now so I don't look anymore. We pay 5.00 a month for anything you can think of and more. Just need a android box to load it onto.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts
    Rep Points

Like others, I've been without cable/satellite a few years. I subscribe to Hulu and have Amazon Prime ... although I rarely watch live TV, its pretty cheap to have just in case I want to watch live sports, etc. Pluto is a great free app as well.