• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Trap developement and shoulder shrugs

Tall Deck

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
One exercise I've avoided over the years is shoulder shrugs. I'm wondering if this was a mistake on my part. I'm thinking that shrugs can help with trapezius developement. In the past I've always relied on military presses with dumbells for the trap work, (even though that movement is more directly for front delts).

So I've just began performing shrugs with dumbells. Do you guys perform shrugs, and if not, then why? But if you do, then have you seen better results from shrugs with dumbells, or shrugs with a barbell? (if there's any difference). Please share your thoughts and experience.

Yes shrugs with dumbbells ... happy traps.

Zun

I used to perform shrugs regularly, but not so much these days. I like to do a higher pull DB and cable row, pulling to the lower chest as apposed to the stomach, instead. This allows me to target the traps along with other upper back muscles, and also rear delts a bit. Deadlifts and rack pulls also target the traps. Very rarely do I target the traps directly with shrugs. They get enough work with other exercises. I feel my traps are proportionate to other muscles, and I'm not really looking for the huge trap no neck look.
Depending on your training style and goals you may want to incorporate shrugs. I prefer barbell as you can really load up the weight. Most important when training is a slow and controlled movement. No bouncing or momentum just to get the weight up, which is common from what I've witnessed. Strong contraction at top and let the weight down slow all the way allowing it to pull and stretch. Also, I get a much better contraction leaning slightly forward and shrugging up and back instead of standing straight up and shrugging straight up. DBs tend to be better for this though since your hands aren't in a fixed position with a barbell.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

I’ve always found heavy rack pulls and deadlifts to be plenty for trap development but that’s just me. Shrugs have such a limited range of motion I just feel like your time is better spent doing the heavy compound movements.

Shrugs imo are a staple to trap development. Shrugs, high pulls, deadlifts. I like doing a few sets with dumbbells and then a few sets on the smith machine to really isolate the traps.

I started the shrugs last summer at least once a week (usually after the shoulders).
I have seen clear improvements.
I keep doing them because it's a muscle that I like so much, but I have not developed much.

Wide grip barbell and dumbells.

PS
I try to make them a little better than the video :D
slow movements, keeping isometry.
30-40 sec TUT

I have done barbell shrugs, dumbel shrugs, hammer strength...but the best results I got was doing them in the smith machine as heavy as I could go with good form. IDK why they responded the best here but that was my experience.

Had to use wrist wraps bc my grip gives out first.

I like doing upright rows also for traps. And on shoulder day.

LOL....that video was great....what a bunch of retards!!! Thanks for everyone's input. I do barbell squats on a regular basis, (with strict form and high reps) as well as back hyper extensions, but due to a herniated L-5 disc, I don't perform dead lifts. This is why I've decided to perform shoulder shrugs, (NOT chicken neck shrugs LOL). I'm going to experiment with dumbell shrugs and barbell shrugs to see what I get a better pump with.

I think there are guys who DO have disproportionate extreme trap development, which does look out of place, yes. However I do also think that a number of amateur BBer's overlook trap development completely, (as they do calves too). I used to watch some WWE wrestling years ago, (just because I admired some of the moves those big guys accomplish even though it's all a show) and I noticed how great Bill Goldberg's traps always looked, even from the front view. Ofcourse, in his case, some of that might be genetics.

IML Gear Cream!
Most definitely do traps. I do Barbell and dumbbells and I squeeze at the top for 5sec per rep and rotate the hands forward and backward. IMO form is the key

Snatch grip high pulls, deadlifts, farmers carries.....if you gonna train traps might as well get strong also

One exercise I've avoided over the years is shoulder shrugs. I'm wondering if this was a mistake on my part. I'm thinking that shrugs can help with trapezius developement. In the past I've always relied on military presses with dumbells for the trap work, (even though that movement is more directly for front delts).

So I've just began performing shrugs with dumbells. Do you guys perform shrugs, and if not, then why? But if you do, then have you seen better results from shrugs with dumbells, or shrugs with a barbell? (if there's any difference). Please share your thoughts and experience.
You'd be shocked what development you can get with shrugs when on steroids, and in a very short period of time. I do them in a squat rack, with the safety bars just below my grip position. Pick up the barbell, lean forward ever so slightly (just because it looks to me like traps pull back as well as up) and pull up high, squeeze, lower, repeat.

It does not take a lot of weight, either. When I have not done them in a while, I start with 225. I do not think I have ever gone over 315. When the weight gets to heavy to hold both overhand, I alternate my grip to keep the barbell from rotating out of my fingers. I also do not do a lot of sets. 8-12 reps. A couple/few sets, and done. I can literally see a difference in two weeks, so I do not always do them, as I do not want traps overpowering my appearance.

I do about every other week or so, but I do them less than others because my traps and neck are overdeveloped naturally.

I prefer to go back and forth between barbell and dumbell shrugs. I find that isometric holds at the top of the movement for 2-3 seconds seem to work the best, along with pump work after. So a typical trap workout is after the rest of my back, something like this:

BB or DB shrugs 3x10 with a 2-3 second hold at the tip of the shrug every rep

BB or DB shrugs 3x15 pump sets or a cluster set of say 20 to failure with two more sets to failure with only 20 seconds rest between each

Sometimes swap out the ones with holds for heavy sets of 6-8

Seems to work well for me

I have done barbell shrugs, dumbel shrugs, hammer strength...but the best results I got was doing them in the smith machine as heavy as I could go with good form. IDK why they responded the best here but that was my experience.

Had to use wrist wraps bc my grip gives out first.

I like doing upright rows also for traps. And on shoulder day.

This is pretty much my experience as well. Was very easy to load up the smith machine with a lot of weight and still keep good form (lolz for the chicken shrug vid). Now that I'm using home gym, db shrugs for the most part when I'm hitting each muscle group 2x week. If it's once a week per muscle group, then db and bb both since there is a difference in how each hits the muscle.

Incline DB rows is one of my favorite exercises for upper back and trap development. Just saw Meadows posted a video. I tend to go a bit lighter and pull wider than he shows.

https://youtu.be/BzPuC0X69Kg

Incline DB rows is one of my favorite exercises for upper back and trap development. Just saw Meadows posted a video. I tend to go a bit lighter and pull wider than he shows.

https://youtu.be/BzPuC0X69Kg

That looks like a great exercise. I've never even heard of inclined rows before. But I can understand why that will work the traps at a different angle since the inclined angle kind of creates a combination row and shrug movement. That makes perfect sense. I guess I now have a whole new use for my incline bench. Thank you for sharing this info and video. I might have to get some kettle bells just for this exercise. Too bad a barbell cannot be used. Perhaps if a training partner hands you the barbell. Or maybe I might just experiment with trying to stand at a 45 degree angle without even using the incline bench, in order to use a barbell (as long as the whole focus doesn't become the stress on the lower back). Either way though, this is excellent info!!!

Last edited:
OK please forgive the corney dramatic WWE reference, but this former NFL defensive back, Bill Goldberg, turned pro wrestler after an NFL career ending injury always had some pretty impressive trap development IMO. I wouldn't expect anyone to watch this entire WWE video, but checkout Goldberg's trap size in the first 45 seconds of the video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tUgRX6s2jw

Get Shredded!
Awesome, will definitely try these out.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

just make sure that bench is secure. Not that anything ever happened when I was doing this lol but It sure will be embarrassing if the bench slides when you go to pull the weight up.....ok I might have had a incident once

just make sure that bench is secure. Not that anything ever happened when I was doing this lol but It sure will be embarrassing if the bench slides when you go to pull the weight up.....ok I might have had a incident once
Yea, I've had that issue before. Just put a heavy DB on the floor to block the bench from sliding.

I also like to stand faceing the other direction on the bench, leaning over with my chest resting in the top. My bench Incline is a bit lower, and it puts you in a almost a pendlay row position, but your chest is supported.

The thing about shrugs is you have to actually hit them from a few different angles.. a lot of guys do them wrong.. and I'm not talkin about rolling the shoulders.. the trapezius is actually a very powerful muscle and very underestimated.. it's actually designed to keep your shoulders from being ripped out of your torso..without that muscle your shoulders and arms would be ripped the fuck out..there's a few different variations of what I do and I get compliments left and right about my delts in my traps above anything else..

Hit me up in private messaging and I can give you a pretty good trap and shoulder workout..

But in the meantime you could focus on doing the shrug movement along with incorporating isometrics into it.. roll your shoulder blades back as if you're getting into a benching position.. when you contracted upwards hold it for 3 seconds and back down all the way until it's at a complete hanging position, repeat instantaneously and hold for 3 seconds again.. do this for 10 reps if you can make it, now after your 10th rep or wherever you are at failure start doing regular repetitions without holding it in a isometric position, almost like doing the super set or burnout.. you're going to do these with dumbbells.. 4 sets

Then go over to the cable machine and put both pulleys at the very bottom.. you're going to stand in the middle and you're going to do shrugs that way with your arms extended outward to the sides.. you're pulling your shoulder inward as if you're attempting to touch your earlobe, that is actually the true motion of that muscle it's not an up-and-down but rather from the side contracting towards your head, like you're pulling something but now from both sides.. 4 sets

Now change up the lower cable input the Rope and you're going to do upright rows with the Rope.. 4 sets, with this movement the same thing up at top to get ahold in contract and lower, come all the way down but don't let your body rest immediately contract again upward..

After three or four sets of that adjust the settings where the Rope is now directly in front of your face so you can do face pulls... 4 sets

After that go to the squat rack and place a bar about chest level, that bar you're going to use to hold you up right I'll explain in a second.. now put another bar on the lower outriggers that you're going to do behind the back shrugs.. you're going to turn your back towards that bar that's chest level and lean backwards as if it's going to hold you up, you're going to be on a slight angle.. you will perform the movement this way while being on a slight angle tilted backwards.. 4, sets

Now you're going to do military presses behind the head in the Smith machine.. what's very important about this movement is when your extended all the way up you can actually go an additional two or three inches.. this will engage your traps.. when you press up words and your complete, extend and reach a little bit further, you'll feel what I'm talking about and you'll hold that for three second and repeat each rep doing the same thing,but when you come down make it just slightly lower than ear level but immediately raise it back up and do the same thing and extend as far as you possibly can in the air and hold it..

Now you're going to roast your delts

you don't need much weight with this and you're going to use dumbbells..when I tell you you don't need much you literally don't need much.. you're going to do side lateral raises at 15-18 reps, than immediately switch them up and do front raises for an additional 15-18 reps, now you're going to bend over slightly and do bent over flys for an additional 18 reps... Do three sets of these..when you perform all three of those movements that is considered one set.. do three sets of these three movements they are instantly back-to-back from one another.. supersetting..

Now go back to the cable machine adjust the settings so you can do rotor cuff single hand extensions.. normally these are good pre-workout/warmup but they're very underestimated for a cleanup.. you can also go to the seated side alternate raise machine in between each set super settings..

Once complete with these he grabbed a 10-pound plate and you're going to do shoulder rolls frontward and forward, large circles and small circles.. I do 2 sets until failure..

you can switch up with the military over head every other routine and throw in single-handed landmine pressess, doing the same thing you're going to extend as far as you possibly the can upward..right when you think the motion is over you literally can go a little bit higher and squeeze and hold it come back down and repeat..your arm is extended out to the side like you're doing a military overhead but single handed,make sure your angle you're more underneath the bar so you're not activating your upper chest and triceps..

I love the single-handed landmine overhead press it really activates everything and give some good stimulation and pump.. 3 sets to failure..

if I had the room in my gym I would do farmers but unfortunately I don't..

I actually did these yesterday but forgot about this thread and didnt read your warning. The bench did slide about 4 inches on me, luckily it was not that busy yesterday when it happened.

The thing about shrugs is you have to actually hit them from a few different angles.. a lot of guys do them wrong.. and I'm not talkin about rolling the shoulders.. the trapezius is actually a very powerful muscle and very underestimated.. it's actually designed to keep your shoulders from being ripped out of your torso..without that muscle your shoulders and arms would be ripped the fuck out..there's a few different variations of what I do and I get compliments left and right about my delts in my traps above anything else..

Hit me up in private messaging and I can give you a pretty good trap and shoulder workout..

But in the meantime you could focus on doing the shrug movement along with incorporating isometrics into it.. roll your shoulder blades back as if you're getting into a benching position.. when you contracted upwards hold it for 3 seconds and back down all the way until it's at a complete hanging position, repeat instantaneously and hold for 3 seconds again.. do this for 10 reps if you can make it, now after your 10th rep or wherever you are at failure start doing regular repetitions without holding it in a isometric position, almost like doing the super set or burnout.. you're going to do these with dumbbells.. 4 sets

Then go over to the cable machine and put both pulleys at the very bottom.. you're going to stand in the middle and you're going to do shrugs that way with your arms extended outward to the sides.. you're pulling your shoulder inward as if you're attempting to touch your earlobe, that is actually the true motion of that muscle it's not an up-and-down but rather from the side contracting towards your head, like you're pulling something but now from both sides.. 4 sets

Now change up the lower cable input the Rope and you're going to do upright rows with the Rope.. 4 sets, with this movement the same thing up at top to get ahold in contract and lower, come all the way down but don't let your body rest immediately contract again upward..

After three or four sets of that adjust the settings where the Rope is now directly in front of your face so you can do face pulls... 4 sets

After that go to the squat rack and place a bar about chest level, that bar you're going to use to hold you up right I'll explain in a second.. now put another bar on the lower outriggers that you're going to do behind the back shrugs.. you're going to turn your back towards that bar that's chest level and lean backwards as if it's going to hold you up, you're going to be on a slight angle.. you will perform the movement this way while being on a slight angle tilted backwards.. 4, sets

Now you're going to do military presses behind the head in the Smith machine.. what's very important about this movement is when your extended all the way up you can actually go an additional two or three inches.. this will engage your traps.. when you press up words and your complete, extend and reach a little bit further, you'll feel what I'm talking about and you'll hold that for three second and repeat each rep doing the same thing,but when you come down make it just slightly lower than ear level but immediately raise it back up and do the same thing and extend as far as you possibly can in the air and hold it..

Now you're going to roast your delts

you don't need much weight with this and you're going to use dumbbells..when I tell you you don't need much you literally don't need much.. you're going to do side lateral raises at 15-18 reps, than immediately switch them up and do front raises for an additional 15-18 reps, now you're going to bend over slightly and do bent over flys for an additional 18 reps... Do three sets of these..when you perform all three of those movements that is considered one set.. do three sets of these three movements they are instantly back-to-back from one another.. supersetting..

Now go back to the cable machine adjust the settings so you can do rotor cuff single hand extensions.. normally these are good pre-workout/warmup but they're very underestimated for a cleanup.. you can also go to the seated side alternate raise machine in between each set super settings..

Once complete with these he grabbed a 10-pound plate and you're going to do shoulder rolls frontward and forward, large circles and small circles.. I do 2 sets until failure..

you can switch up with the military over head every other routine and throw in single-handed landmine pressess, doing the same thing you're going to extend as far as you possibly the can upward..right when you think the motion is over you literally can go a little bit higher and squeeze and hold it come back down and repeat..your arm is extended out to the side like you're doing a military overhead but single handed,make sure your angle you're more underneath the bar so you're not activating your upper chest and triceps..

I love the single-handed landmine overhead press it really activates everything and give some good stimulation and pump.. 3 sets to failure..

if I had the room in my gym I would do farmers but unfortunately I don't..

Is this the same workout you would have put in the pm? If not, feel free to send to me sir. Always looking for new things to try.

I actually did these yesterday but forgot about this thread and didnt read your warning. The bench did slide about 4 inches on me, luckily it was not that busy yesterday when it happened.

Is this the same workout you would have put in the pm? If not, feel free to send to me sir. Always looking for new things to try.

I meant to delete the first portion of my post and I ended up going on a rant..
I have a few different variations of this workout and a couple other things I add and subtract..hit me up in private messaging and we can work something out for you.. these routines are not for the faint-hearted..

I have a similar delt routine, I call it "the top 40" back from my old days when I was a trainer... I use it often.

Here's an example of one set...
1. laterals X10
2. front raises X10
3. bent over laterals X10
4. DB overhead presses X10

Mix the order however you like, once you finish 3-4 sets of these, your delts are screaming "fire in the hole baby!!!"

I have a similar delt routine, I call it "the top 40" back from my old days when I was a trainer... I use it often.

Here's an example of one set...
1. laterals X10
2. front raises X10
3. bent over laterals X10
4. DB overhead presses X10

Mix the order however you like, once you finish 3-4 sets of these, your delts are screaming "fire in the hole baby!!!"

The delts are absolutely trashed after that.. and you don't need much weight at all.. I've seen egos get smashed with this one!!

The delts are absolutely trashed after that.. and you don't need much weight at all.. I've seen egos get smashed with this one!!

That's for sure, check your ego at the front door or lose it all together lol

Vision, thanks for your explanation of trap routines. I don't doubt anything you said, and I especially had my eyes opened concerning your explanation of the moverment you do for traps with the cable cross over machine. But overall, that entire routine you laid out sounds like a whole workout all by itself, and as for me, my trap development isn't at the level that I need nor care to spend the entire workout on traps alone. I have too many other weak points right now. But perhaps as i reach some other goals first, I will give your routine a try in the future. Thanks bud

Back