• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

looking thru animal shelters for a dog

heckler7

IM>ASF
Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
these shelters are over flowing here but they make it so difficult to get a approved, I had to fill out multiple applications and 2 shelters that had denied me because I live too far, they need to drive to my home and inspect my property. no wonder these shelters are over flowing. I'm going to an event today and hopefully we find what we are looking for but I'm at a point where I might just buy a puppy. If I have to pay 2-300 adoption fee might as well put that towards a dog that fits what I'm looking for

Yea it's stupid how hard it is now..... we had on from 2yrs old and we had to put her down at 17..... we had her son from a litter and we put him down at 15 it's a blessing to have them that long..... I hope u pull one out of there

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yea it's stupid how hard it is now..... we had on from 2yrs old and we had to put her down at 17..... we had her son from a litter and we put him down at 15 it's a blessing to have them that long..... I hope u pull one out of there

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thats a long time, I had 3 rescue bulldogs and the all had really bad health issues, one of them died within a month of getting her the got really sick from an infection it was litterally like throwing 2k to the wind. but we tried to save her anyway.
I'm really looking for a heathly, and good with kids. german sheppard or lab mix

I'd get a puppy from a friend or off of kijiji, nobody wants a broken dog (even though it's not their fault).

Yup, was going to get my daughter a cat and after the app process we said screw it and bought one.

I'd get a puppy from a friend or off of kijiji, nobody wants a broken dog (even though it's not their fault).
I definately dont want an older abused dog, I have kids now, I think a puppy under a year will still be trainable. There are a lot of dogs people drop off at the shelter they get them as puppies then realize they are work or they live in an apartment and the landlord says get rid of it, I think those are safe dogs
on a side note it is really pissing me off seeing all these abused pitbulls, seems like 90% of the dogs in shelters here are pits. and these sick bastards file their teeth down so they cant defend themselves against the dogs they are training

good luck man,,, lots of dogs out there that need a good home... dont give up

Bear with the ridiculous process. Adopting a shelter dog is excellent for your karma.

I definately dont want an older abused dog, I have kids now, I think a puppy under a year will still be trainable. There are a lot of dogs people drop off at the shelter they get them as puppies then realize they are work or they live in an apartment and the landlord says get rid of it, I think those are safe dogs
on a side note it is really pissing me off seeing all these abused pitbulls, seems like 90% of the dogs in shelters here are pits. and these sick bastards file their teeth down so they cant defend themselves against the dogs they are training

Well as we both know most people are low cog pieces of shit. I had a friend that bought a snake and a few months later she decided she didn't want it anymore so I adopted it. The fucking thing will probably out live me though lol.

IML Gear Cream!
thats a long time, I had 3 rescue bulldogs and the all had really bad health issues, one of them died within a month of getting her the got really sick from an infection it was litterally like throwing 2k to the wind. but we tried to save her anyway.
I'm really looking for a heathly, and good with kids. german sheppard or lab mix
I have a seven year old American bulldog that has cancer and is allergic to fleas but the best damn guard dog I ever had

Erroneous logic. Adult dogs over 2 are fully mature and their temperaments are generally stable by that point barring Neuro problems. They are also easier to train because they have a better attention span and a fuck ton of them are already housebroken (my least favorite puppy or young dog training).

Chrck out a rescue group called "bad rap" for your coast if not to adopt then their "real talk" no b.s. info on adopting shelter dogs and just an all around awesome rescue group.

And yeah. We adopted a heavily abused pit estimated at 2-4 yrs old. She is one of the most gentle animals you'll ever meet. I'd check a city run shelter and build a relationship with them to find an appropriate dog. PS-a LOT of "pits" have a fair amount of lab or hound in them.

One thing about pits...and it's idk, maybe half of them do NOT coexist with other dogs but plenty do just fine.
We've had our girl for 4 yrs now..so she's 6-8 yrs old and we've never had a single problem with properly introduced dogs, we have a terrier and australian shepherd too but she does not go to the dog park in part because if she's challenged by another dog she will answer the challenge and partly because if anything ever goes down I don't want her being blamed.

There are an assload of adopted pits in my area so it's pretty accepted.

I did shepherd rescue and have had some very expensive schutzhund shepherd's and THAT is a breed I don't necessarily trust around small children, elderly, small animals or other dogs because they have a high prey drive and were need to be instinctual-ie herd independently for months.

A dog that thinks for itself is not something you necessarily want around children. My shepherd's did fine with my kids but I wouldn't let my kids friends play with the dogs. I wouldn't have thought twice about letting my exes English hunting line lab play with anyone's kids..but ditto for my pit. The lab was 2k. Two if my shepherd's were 1500, 2k respectively one (and the one I wouldn't leave with my own kids) was 6k with import, quarantine and international flight. For 2-3 hundred through a rescue group you get a dog that was evaluated by a behaviorist (hopefully) and has complete veterinary care. Youll spend triple that on a puppy.

Last edited:
We've had 5 rescues, none from animal shelters, all from private rescue groups, only way we will go. They've all been great dogs, some will let you take the dog home to do sleep overs before you commit. They also will come to inspect your house, some require fenced in yards.

Been to the animal shelter like 5 times over the years. Basiclly hand them $100 and walk away with whatever pet I want. Never asked to inspect anything.

Well as we both know most people are low cog pieces of shit. I had a friend that bought a snake and a few months later she decided she didn't want it anymore so I adopted it. The fucking thing will probably out live me though lol.

What kinda snake?

Been to the animal shelter like 5 times over the years. Basiclly hand them $100 and walk away with whatever pet I want. Never asked to inspect anything.
Well then you guys don't live in New Jersey or Pennsylvania. I live in a condo and that is not acceptable to dog rescues or animal shelters.... must have a fenced in yard. So a total deal breaker. My bro's who know me, know I have a beautiful 12 year old Golden Retriever, raised from 11 weeks. Love this dog to no end..... no dog is loved more or given better care then her. Yet I can't get a 'rescue' dog. Unfuckingreal.

Last edited:
I have a rescue pit terrier. He's my profile pic. Got him at about 1 1/2 years old. He spent a little over a year at the shelter. Within about 2 weeks of getting him home he was fully trained with no issues. I've had him for 3 years now and hes the best dog I have ever been around in my life. I would definitely adopt again.

It will probably kill you in your sleep...

Well then you guys don't live in New Jersey or Pennsylvania. I live in a condo and that is not acceptable to dog rescues or animal shelters.... must have a fenced in yard. So a total deal breaker. My bro's who know me, know I have a beautiful 12 year old Golden Retriever, raised from 11 weeks. Love this dog to no end..... no dog is loved more or given better care then her. Yet I can't get a 'rescue' dog. Unfuckingreal.

Wife and I have been volunteers, supporters, donors etc of a couple private rescues. I've seen first hand some of the severely abused dogs that come in.... barely alive. Seeing that kinda stuff will change you!! I've been an avid Hunter since I was a kid, I run a large hunting club, last three years I haven't shot a thing, just go watch, gone soft, can't hardly stand to see animals suffer anymore.. So the point I was making is I support they're rules, they have same here, just trying to protect the animals. I have seen them make exceptions for some ppl.

Last edited:
Heck i hope you dont let the paperwork of the shelter turn you off man. All pets ive ever had are shelter dogs(granted its super easy where i live). But i had the best pet ever for over 12 years and she came from a shelter. They need good homes man so dont give up even if it is a pain. I remember you spending weeks beating on Kumfarts, if you can do that then you can spend some time helping out a pup who needs a home mane.

Corn snake, she's just over 4 feet now. She loves to cuddle (probably eyeing me up to eat but that's ok, I'll take any affection I can get) .

Red Rat Snake from Southeast US? Those and grey rats are my favorite from the rat snake family. The black, Everglades and yellow rats can be pretty mean, yellows are the meanest, drawn blood from me many times.

Last edited:
Red Rat Snake from Southeast US? Those and grey rats are my favorite from the rat snake family. The black, Everglades and yellow rats can be pretty mean, yellows are the meanest, drawn blood from me many times.

That's it's family yes, I'm not sure exactly which species it is though. It's all orange, I'll post up a picture later. Mine is super docile, it has never struck at me no matter how stressed it was. I forgot it in its feeding tank one night and the fucking cats tortured the poor thing until I woke up, and it was still cuddly lol.

That's it's family yes, I'm not sure exactly which species it is though. It's all orange, I'll post up a picture later. Mine is super docile, it has never struck at me no matter how stressed it was. I forgot it in its feeding tank one night and the fucking cats tortured the poor thing until I woke up, and it was still cuddly lol.

Yeah post pic, I'm sure it's corn snake/ red Rat Snake if from Southeast us.

Wife and I have been volunteers, supporters, donors etc of a couple private rescues. I've seen first hand some of the severely abused dogs that come in.... barely alive. Seeing that kinda stuff will change you!! I've been an avid Hunter since I was a kid, I run a large hunting club, last three years I haven't shot a thing, just go watch, gone soft, can't hardly stand to see animals suffer anymore.. So the point I was making is I support they're rules, they have same here, just trying to protect the animals. I have seen them make exceptions for some ppl.
That's awesome. I have thought about volunteering but I would probably wind up with 20 dogs, lol. Sorry but I don't agree. So it's better to have a dog with no home because the rules are so strict or give the dog to a loving owner? What will happen is eventually I will just buy a dog from a reputable breeder when there are 10's of thousands of dogs that need homes that I am willing to give. I exercise my dog every day. You don't need a yard.

That's awesome. I have thought about volunteering but I would probably wind up with 20 dogs, lol. Sorry but I don't agree. So it's better to have a dog with no home because the rules are so strict or give the dog to a loving owner? What will happen is eventually I will just buy a dog from a reputable breeder when there are 10's of thousands of dogs that need homes that I am willing to give. I exercise my dog every day. You don't need a yard.

We just bought a bunch of dog food, treats, collars, toys etc for one of our rescues. They try to weed out ppl in apartments and such. Ours do make acceptions for ppl who have demonstrated a history of good dog ownership, basically if you fight for the dog and show you really want him they will usually let you adopt.

Just got an American Bulldog female (2 yr. old) from Alabama. (Im in New England). We love her, poor thing is very timid from abuse, but getting used to love these days...

Attachments

• dubz.jpg
    dubz.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
We just bought a bunch of dog food, treats, collars, toys etc for one of our rescues. They try to weed out ppl in apartments and such. Ours do make acceptions for ppl who have demonstrated a history of good dog ownership, basically if you fight for the dog and show you really want him they will usually let you adopt.

Unfortunately not here. No fenced in yard, no dog. That's even true with kill shelters. That makes no sense. Oh no yard? We will put the dog down instead. What?

Back