• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Squats and ham cramps...

judgmentalist

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Ok guys I haven't lifted for realz in a long time. I'm trying to get back in the game. When I was in my twenties I lived in a squat rack. I'm 38 now and I have a job where I sit on my ass all day. Right now I can't even make it through a warmup set without my hamstrings locking up completely. I assume this has to do with shortened muscles and tendons,but I'm just guessing. Any suggestions? All other lifts so far seem doable, at least at breaking back in levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love barbell squats. There's no replacement for them IMO. Start doing 2 stretches:

#1. For the ham strings and lower back--- Touch toes stretch. If you cannot touch your toes easily, (which would be a clear indication of tight hamstrings and a tight lower back) then just go as far as you can before any severe discomfort begins, and then take a big deep breath in, and let it out quick all at once. This will relax all of your torso muscles, and then you'll be able to reach a couple inches more towards your toes. Now hold it there for 30 seconds with your chin tucked into your chest, (which will also stretch out your neck and Trapezius muscles) and do NOT hold your breath!! breath in a relaxed manner and hold this stretch for 30 seconds once a day. Don't do this in the morning since it will be too difficult for you then unless you're already very flexible. Do this at night or in the afternoon after you've walked around during the day.

#2. For the hip flexor muscles and lower back--- lay down on the floor and pull one knee into your chest. Hold for 30 seconds. Do both legs ofcourse.

You'll notice a difference in flexibility after just three days of these stretches. Also drink plenty of water and take 100-200 mg of Magnesium. But the stretching alone will make a big difference

I love barbell squats. There's no replacement for them IMO. Start doing 2 stretches:

#1. For the ham strings and lower back--- Touch toes stretch. If you cannot touch your toes easily, (which would be a clear indication of tight hamstrings and a tight lower back) then just go as far as you can before any severe discomfort begins, and then take a big deep breath in, and let it out quick all at once. This will relax all of your torso muscles, and then you'll be able to reach a couple inches more towards your toes. Now hold it there for 30 seconds with your chin tucked into your chest, (which will also stretch out your neck and Trapezius muscles) and do NOT hold your breath!! breath in a relaxed manner and hold this stretch for 30 seconds once a day. Don't do this in the morning since it will be too difficult for you then unless you're already very flexible. Do this at night or in the afternoon after you've walked around during the day.

#2. For the hip flexor muscles and lower back--- lay down on the floor and pull one knee into your chest. Hold for 30 seconds. Do both legs ofcourse.

You'll notice a difference in flexibility after just three days of these stretches. Also drink plenty of water and take 100-200 mg of Magnesium. But the stretching alone will make a big difference

Thanks. I'm gonna try this out starting today.

I would wager you have high salt intake with low magnesium and extremely low potassium intake. I have yet to meet anyone who could show me where they were getting anywhere close to the recommended amount of potassium from their diet alone. Then add in the fact athletes sweat and have higher need yet and you have a recipe for disaster.

IIRC as long as potassium, magnesium and calcium levels are in the right ratios to sodium, you can take in quite a bit of sodium so it's not necessarily about going low sodium.

How long have you been squatting though? I tend to get the cramping feeling when I get back from a long layoff or go exceptionally hard. It's ONLY on squats though. I really push my hips back when I squat and have a super slow descent the entire way down. It's basically a 5 second negative with a 2 second pause. Pretty sure I am just annihilation my hams the entire time which is why they cramp up.

Wondering if it's just a matter of needing to rebuild your strength for the movement. Your quads and back and core may be strong enough but your hamstrings will pay hell trying to keep up

IIRC as long as potassium, magnesium and calcium levels are in the right ratios to sodium, you can take in quite a bit of sodium so it's not necessarily about going low sodium.

Generally speaking I agree although the sodium most people use is highly modified and generally toxic. In short getting ample magnesium and potassium makes a bg difference in performance.

How long have you been squatting though? I tend to get the cramping feeling when I get back from a long layoff or go exceptionally hard. It's ONLY on squats though. I really push my hips back when I squat and have a super slow descent the entire way down. It's basically a 5 second negative with a 2 second pause. Pretty sure I am just annihilation my hams the entire time which is why they cramp up.

Wondering if it's just a matter of needing to rebuild your strength for the movement. Your quads and back and core may be strong enough but your hamstrings will pay hell trying to keep up

I am coming back after a looooong layoff but I really think it's a flexibility issue possibly exacerbated by poor nutrition or supplementation. I've just been doing a job that requires me to sit, either in a vehicle or an office chair for too damn long. So far I've only been doing very low weight break-in sessions, and I've been failing on the first few reps on squats. I'm also in careful mode, I'm not doing your 5-second neg, but I'm close, perfect form, etc.

Generally speaking I agree although the sodium most people use is highly modified and generally toxic. In short getting ample magnesium and potassium makes a bg difference in performance.

Just saw this and I agree entirely. I see too many people get so obsessed over low sodium and then cant figure out why they cramp even with potassium and such. I find if I go too low with sodium, I actually cramp more. It's all about the proper ratios. As long as you get enough magnesium, potassium and calcium to balance with sodium properly, you shouldnt' have too much of an issue

IML Gear Cream!
I am coming back after a looooong layoff but I really think it's a flexibility issue possibly exacerbated by poor nutrition or supplementation. I've just been doing a job that requires me to sit, either in a vehicle or an office chair for too damn long. So far I've only been doing very low weight break-in sessions, and I've been failing on the first few reps on squats. I'm also in careful mode, I'm not doing your 5-second neg, but I'm close, perfect form, etc.

How is the pain coming along? My job was driving 8 hrs a day but never had much of the cramping sensations unless it had been several weeks between squat sessions. I actually dont look forward to squatting again because I know how light I will have to go and how bad my hamstrings will feel!

Hey. I've been meaning to come back to this thread. I have been able to get through a decent warm up set at this point without cramping and failing but that's all I've done so far. I haven't moved on to actually pushing real weight . I'm just focusing on mobility at the moment. I'm afraid of pushing it too far too fast and ending up doing some real damage either by injuring a muscle or dropping a bar on myself. (even though I'm in a cage)

Of course none of this stops me from feeling like a giant Vagina in squat rack lol

Nothing wrong with taking is nice and easy. Just slowly build and go by how you feel. Better to be a vagina in the squat rack then stuck sitting on the couch!

I always have to stretch in between leg exercises especially movements that focus on hamstrings. Stay hydrated, a lot of stretching and eat bananas. Should help out.

Nothing wrong with taking is nice and easy. Just slowly build and go by how you feel. Better to be a vagina in the squat rack then stuck sitting on the couch!
Absolutely!

I always have to stretch in between leg exercises especially movements that focus on hamstrings. Stay hydrated, a lot of stretching and eat bananas. Should help out.
Yes, I do the runners' stretch where you pull the heel up to the glute for the quadracep muscles, and a touch toes for the hamstrings every day, even on non-workout days

Back