• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 🩺Muscle Gelz® HUMANOGEN® - Powered by Ibutamoren® Increases Growth Hormone! (Transdermal - No Injecting!)🏥

Pullups

malfeasance

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I have been doing wide grip pull-ups. I stretch all the way at the bottom before pulling back up.

I felt like a tearing feeling in my left side, back of the shoulder, while I was pulling.

I weigh 225-230, depending upon when I weigh myself.

The next day, my wife pointed out a long bruise at the back of my shoulder under my arm. I have to lift my arm way up to see it in the mirror.

Did I tear something?

Should I stick with lighter lat pulls for a while?

It doesn't really hurt now (not any more than usual, this shoulder area always hurts)

When did you do this? Did it feel like a burning sensation? Do you still have the bruise?
Micro tears can happen in a blood rich area and bruise easily.

When did you do this? Did it feel like a burning sensation? Do you still have the bruise?
Micro tears can happen in a blood rich area and bruise easily.
Couple weeks ago. Yes. Yes. Is that good or bad, TG?

Actually, lifted my arm and looked in the mirror this morning, and the bruise is gone. It lasted a week and a half to two weeks. I think to be safe I am going to avoid pull-ups and maybe to lat pulldowns with less than bodyweight for a while . . .

Just sounds like a "big" micro tear. The lats are a very tight muscle in most people as they rarely see any real stretching or ART/myofascial release.

I seriously doubt you tore anything significantly. You'd be in quite a bit of pain.

Actually, lifted my arm and looked in the mirror this morning, and the bruise is gone. It lasted a week and a half to two weeks. I think to be safe I am going to avoid pull-ups and maybe to lat pulldowns with less than bodyweight for a while . . .

Takes a while to heal tears. Maybe do weight assisted pull ups or lighter pull downs like you said. Sounds like you're going to be ok.

Yeah sounds like you might have slightly tore it. Trust me if it was a bad tear there bE no question. I tore my hamstring and it was black from my ass to ankle. Couldn't walk normal for a few weeks, sitting sucked,pain was Hell.

Remember that being wide pull-ups you put the work more into your upper back muscles(teres major and minor,infraspinatus, and all other rotator cuff muscles) which are all smaller and some times neglected. Be careful and baby it. Work back into it slowly to be on the safe side.

If you're not in a ton of pain it was probably not a big tear. I think you're on the right track with the lat pull downs for a bit.

If you're not in a ton of pain it was probably not a big tear. I think you're on the right track with the lat pull downs for a bit.
I've been doing lat pulldowns and my back is responding nicely. Maybe changing it up was a good idea for more than one reason.

Back