• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

encrypted email options

frank the tank

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Encrypted Email Options

There's really only one way to ensure upthat your emails are kept confidential....encrypt them. The two most popular forms of email encryption are OpenPGP and S/MIME. Encryption scrambles your email into something unintelligible that only someone who has the correct digital "key" can read.

If you are located outside of the US (in a safe country) like some of our sources then using Gmail is not as risky as it would be for John Smith in BFE, Montana. The feds have shown over and over that they can easily access U.S. based non-encrypted email providers like Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail and Gmail.

So far, with the exception of Keptprivate, encrypted email providers located within the U.S. have successfully hidden behind their inability to crack their own encryption inorder to avoid cooperation with the Feds, but Congress may soon require social networks, VoIP, and Webmail providers to build in back doors that the FBI could tap for electronic surveillance purposes: http://www.informationweek.com/news/...ment/240000653

The honest answer is that nothing is truly 100% secure. However, if you are a betting man, you can roll the dice on any provider located as far from the U.S. as possible. I like the below listed choices (especially s-mail because they are located in Russia):

countermail - server is in Sweden and you pay for use mutemail- server is Bahamas and you pay for use s-mail- server is in Russia and service is free guardmail - server appears to be in Germany (but not positive) and service is free ssl.mailvault - server is in Germany and service is free anonymouspeech - server is in Panama and you pay for use

WARNING: cyber-rights.net and hushmail.com are two other free options located in Canada, but they MAY be working with the Feds. Hushmail DID cooperate with the feds during ORD and should not be trusted.

Also, as of 12/2012, there have been multiple reports of safe-mail (server is in Israel) email accounts being hacked.

This list is not all inclusive, so feel free to add an encrypted email provider to this thread if you have another safe option.

:clapping:

Very informative. Also, counter has a 30 day free trial. Encryption both ways for users of counter, not for counter to anybody else. I know many of us have headlong stretches of zero problems, but its that one time that can really put a damper on your day...

yep.. and the only downside to encryption services is that emails can only be send to others that use the service.... hushmail has already provided emails to the feds in the past...

And very soon 128bit encryption will be useless anyway.. U will need 192 and 256 if not already.. the NSA has been accumulating massive amounts of digital data for years in Utah, while building a massive super computer in Oakridge TN that can execute a quadrillion (10[SUP]15[/SUP]) operations a second (petaflop)... They have already moved past that goal and are well on their way to much faster calculations...

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/

I had a thread recently with this a a topic along with VPN services.....

iPhone users can use the wickr app.. It allows the sender to destroy any txt, photos, email, etc. forever..

https://www.mywickr.com/en/index.php

Wickr is a free app that provides:

·military-grade encryption of text, picture, audio and video messages

·sender-based control over who can read messages, where and for how long
·best available privacy, anonymity and secure file shredding features
·security that is simple to use

Great info, Frank. I've tried many of the different options over the years, and I hate to say it, but the only way I really feel secure emailing right now is Securenym with PGP encryption. It costs $60 for a year, but man is that money well-spent.

Great info, Frank. I've tried many of the different options over the years, and I hate to say it, but the only way I really feel secure emailing right now is Securenym with PGP encryption. It costs $60 for a year, but man is that money well-spent.
I can never get emails sent from my securenym account through to other's inbox for some reason??? Tried sending to a safemail account and another securenym account and never got a reply. Sent one through safemail to both accounts and got replies within minutes.....

Securenym's webmail settings are bizarre. Are you using a client or the direct webmail?
Direct. I just checked my inbox and actually found a return email from the other securenym account I sent a message too ( I must have overlooked it the other day). So, I know it's good from securenym to securenym, not sure how compatible it is with other mailing systems though.

Direct. I just checked my inbox and actually found a return email from the other securenym account I sent a message too ( I must have overlooked it the other day). So, I know it's good from securenym to securenym, not sure how compatible it is with other mailing systems though.

I haven't encountered an issue, but that said, I wouldn't be surprised if there are issues. Ever try messing with the "Spambox" settings?

Yeah, I finally figured out you have to subscribe to the spam box to actually be able to see it and check the folder. Not getting anything there either. Not seeing any options for the spam box settings however.

IML Gear Cream!
It has been a while since I set my account up, but if memory serves, Securenym has two separate settings pages, one specific to webmail, and then one that is specific to securenym.net - check both areas.

Yeah, I finally figured out you have to subscribe to the spam box to actually be able to see it and check the folder. Not getting anything there either. Not seeing any options for the spam box settings however.

Wow, never would've guessed... and I've configured many systems like this as an admin. SquirrelMail is funky. The spambox is shown as an optional subscription but there's no indication that securenym is routing all kinds of shit into it without notice. Mine had a few dozen messages including some from sponsors on this board. Thanks for the hint.

Back