• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Painful pumps

littlelady

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
What do you guys do to minimize the spinal erector pumps? I love my squats, but they started becoming the wrong kind of painful last cycle- hell I was laying on the ground between sets trying to relieve the pressure.

Anyone have any secrets they wanna share?

What do you guys do to minimize the spinal erector pumps? I love my squats, but they started becoming the wrong kind of painful last cycle- hell I was laying on the ground between sets trying to relieve the pressure.

How about trying some taurine?

This ^^^^ and good ol Gatorade works for me. Best of luck bro, I know what your going through!

Taurine at 2-3 grams a day.

- - - Updated - - -

Taurine especially if you are running anavar.

I have to adjust reps and exercise layout depending on the cycle, on my cruise I've been able to do 20repmax squats followed by 20rep deadlift same weight. If I was on I have to lower the reps and go heavier and between the squats and deadlifts or SLDL do calf raises. Low back pumps are excruciating. I never tried taurine but it's what everyone recommends.

I've seen AY recommend pre-exhausting before doing anything that touches the erectors. I've never tried it.

taurine..and I feel like bcaas help with this for me too

I also hang from a pull up bar between sets to stretch out-move blood through the muscles

I have to adjust reps and exercise layout depending on the cycle, on my cruise I've been able to do 20repmax squats followed by 20rep deadlift same weight. If I was on I have to lower the reps and go heavier and between the squats and deadlifts or SLDL do calf raises. Low back pumps are excruciating. I never tried taurine but it's what everyone recommends.

I've seen AY recommend pre-exhausting before doing anything that touches the erectors. I've never tried it.
I've tried preexhausting, no avail.
2-3 grams of taurine works for me
Thanks JD, I will give it a try ASAP! Damn AY car is too good ;)
This ^^^^ and good ol Gatorade works for me. Best of luck bro, I know what your going through!
Thanks bro ;)

Last edited:
IML Gear Cream!
Taurine doesn't do shit for me besides give me the . When I had painful pumps before my half marathon it was because my e levels were all fucked. Once I upped the ai, I ran that bitch like a boss. Not saying that's your problem, I'm merely sharing my experience.

as damgar mentioned pre-exhausting works pretty well for me. i like to throw in extra potassium supplementation along with the taurine @ the suggested doses earlier in the thread, seems to work great.

For me, 1.5-2 gal of water and 3-5g taurine per day along with laying on a lacrosse ball and really grinding the erectors for 15 mins pre workout on days that cause the most erector pump, on days that i miss judge and skip the lacrosse ball pre workout, I have to make up for it between sets, its the only combo that I have found that works for me, EPI, SDMZ1, SDMZ2 and VAR all create the same situation for me, doesn't seem to matter if test is TRT dose or blast, the addition of orals seems to be the culprit for me, I have run Anabolic Cycle Support and or Liv 52DS everytime with orals and the water, taurine and lacrosse ball seem to be the difference for me personally, good luck

Water, water and then a little bit more water.
If I drink more water I will drown myself lol
This is all a little work on the front end so I can hopefully avoid the problem this cycle

I'll let you all know how it works out!

Thanks for asking this LL
I too get such bad pumps during deads and a few other things that it can ruin the rest of my workout.
Def going to try taurine

taurine 3grams a day
gatorade and bcaa mixed pre and during wo

1 gallon + water daily

Good luck bro! Lol! JK, littlelady.

ok, my bad... i read the post before i looked at who i was addressing. I don't think any offense was taken, but my apolgies if so. Regardless, good luck with the process of emliminating the pumps. Take the Taurine and maybe try watering down a Gatorade and drink it during work out, BCAA'S as well seem to help.

Get Shredded!
Taurine and stretching helps me out but on some compounds, I just can't seem to make them go away completely. They suck for sure but as long as I avoid certain things I'm usually alright with taurine

ok, my bad... i read the post before i looked at who i was addressing. I don't think any offense was taken, but my apolgies if so. Regardless, good luck with the process of emliminating the pumps. Take the Taurine and maybe try watering down a Gatorade and drink it during work out, BCAA'S as well seem to help.
Lololol just harassing you. Stick around its what I do ;)

spinae erectors hurting from squats means your legs need to be further apart and your toes slightly out
think 4-6 inches wider than shoulder width

Have you really found the exact foot width that lets your hips break the most comfortably? If you havent you will be getting more work from your low back than you should. Do you warm up your low back before squatting?
Do you wear a belt? ( i hope so) How high do you wear the belt? I moved my belt up over the belly button for squatting. like the bottom of the belt is just touching my belly button so its riding pretty high. Soooo much more stability and power coming out of the hole that way with zero effect on my lower back.
Are your erectors weak? Do they need extra work to catch up? I mean....are they working too hard which is causing the pump?

My PT (who is a pro powerlifter) taught me how to find the true hip break point. get on all fours, arch your back like you are squatting and do the squatting motion while on all fours. (yes, seriously I know its like getting fucked) start with narrow knees and keep doing the motion as you widen the knees each time. You will see what I mean when you finally find the actual hip break point. You might need a width adjustment.

Last edited:
Have you really found the exact foot width that lets your hips break the most comfortably? If you havent you will be getting more work from your low back than you should. Do you warm up your low back before squatting?
Do you wear a belt? ( i hope so) How high do you wear the belt? I moved my belt up over the belly button for squatting. like the bottom of the belt is just touching my belly button so its riding pretty high. Soooo much more stability and power coming out of the hole that way with zero effect on my lower back.
Are your erectors weak? Do they need extra work to catch up? I mean....are they working too hard which is causing the pump?

My squat is by far my strongest lift, I can hit atg with perfect form. But. I'm also at this point pushing almost double my bw for sets of 10. So. It's too the point where they are very taxing.

I do wear a belt, I will try different placement, though my torso is way to small to move it up past my belly button, gotta remember I am a midget

my lower back is actually over developed- so there Is a chance that my spinal erectors are firing more than they should because my motor neural recruitment Is a just better in that muscle group. I have found the same yo be true in my traps so I have to make a conscious effort to not use them in basic should movements. I suppose that is something to thing about with my erectos.

When off gear I have no pain of excessive pumps in the lower back- so it may just be a side I'm more sensitive too

spinae erectors hurting from squats means your legs need to be further apart and your toes slightly out
think 4-6 inches wider than shoulder width
I don't think so. My toes are out and my foot placement is comfy. I've been fortunate enough to work with a few amazing professional coaches on different forms. I mean, form is never perfect but, considering it's not a problem off cycle I'm thinking it's unlikely that's the issue. It really is only a pump- I'm racking a decent amount of weight I would be more concerned if my erectors were not being recruited as they are a crucial part of an effective squat!

It's not pain pain- just too much blood flow in the area.

My squat is by far my strongest lift, I can hit atg with perfect form. But. I'm also at this point pushing almost double my bw for sets of 10. So. It's too the point where they are very taxing.

I do wear a belt, I will try different placement, though my torso is way to small to move it up past my belly button, gotta remember I am a midget

my lower back is actually over developed- so there Is a chance that my spinal erectors are firing more than they should because my motor neural recruitment Is a just better in that muscle group. I have found the same yo be true in my traps so I have to make a conscious effort to not use them in basic should movements. I suppose that is something to thing about with my erectos.

When off gear I have no pain of excessive pumps in the lower back- so it may just be a side I'm more sensitive too

(I like really short girls..cough cough....ehh hemm)

SOunds like just an AAS issue then. The Var giving you an overly massive pump. NPP will do the same thing to you. The belt placement thing was from Eric Lilliebridge (freak!) you might be able to find it on youtube. What kind of belt do you use? If you are squatting double BW you should have some serious support going on. I have this old Nike ratcheting belt that has been through shit with me that should have killed it. But now that I have switched to powerlifting I can feel it stretch. I just got an Inzer 10mm and its made a world of difference. That fucker has NO stretch to it.

(I like really short girls..cough cough....ehh hemm)

SOunds like just an AAS issue then. The Var giving you an overly massive pump. NPP will do the same thing to you. The belt placement thing was from Eric Lilliebridge (freak!) you might be able to find it on youtube. What kind of belt do you use? If you are squatting double BW you should have some serious support going on. I have this old Nike ratcheting belt that has been through shit with me that should have killed it. But now that I have switched to powerlifting I can feel it stretch. I just got an Inzer 10mm and its made a world of difference. That fucker has NO stretch to it.

I also just got an inzer 10 mm a couple months ago, my old powerlifting belt fucking broke in the middle of a max attempt. What a weird feeling that was- total loss of abdominal pressure I was like a wet noodle.

I will look up the placement, thanks! I am relatively new to belted lifting so any advice is great!

My last cycle with tbol. Nothing helped. Tried taurine, stretching, even had friends massage my back (no homo) usually I just hit my set ran to a bench and lay down lol

I also just got an inzer 10 mm a couple months ago, my old powerlifting belt fucking broke in the middle of a max attempt. What a weird feeling that was- total loss of abdominal pressure I was like a wet noodle.

I will look up the placement, thanks! I am relatively new to belted lifting so any advice is great!

Belt breaking on a max attempt.. My heart skipped reading that! I read all the comments... I hope I don't experience these back 'pumps' :/

Back