• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Hvac

TBJ

:winkfinger:
Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Any HVAC experts in here? Having trouble with my AC unit...

Ok so... Was blowing cold air this am. I woke up around 3pm and it was making the sound like it wanted to blow air, but nothing. It won't even blow hot air. I went on top of the house and cleared any obstructions to the unit, didn't see anything. Had to get to work and will be leaving early.. I really can't afford 3000$ for a new unit.. It's 11 years old, Amana 3.5 ton 2003 model

Sounds like the indoor blower motor- possibly just the capacitor.
side note- did you have an abrupt weather change? May just need to reset breakers for 30 seconds

Sounds like your blower motor has either failed or some limit switch/relay/mother board has an error.

Do you have a furnace you can access?
Often there is a light on the motherboard that will flash a series of blinks when there is something up. The pattern of the blinks will correspond to a error list on the inside of the service panel.

All assuming this is central air

Yes we had a couple storms here the past two weeks
And flooding

Sorry trying to respond while
Simultaneously working...

On your stat, you go to fan mode and nothing happens?

Fan mode does nothing. It makes the sound like it whirls up and wants to start but just makes the normal noise with no air

Have you checked your A coil/evaporator coil? High humidity and/or a low charge can make them freeze up and prevent air flow. You should also check your filters on the air returns.

FYI the blower motor outside just circulates air on the condenser. The indoor fan is normally a "squirrel cage" design.

could be a lot of things...probably it's the fan capacitor.when the fan runs very slow or doesn't run at all,it's the fucking capacitor.low charge makes the unit stop,and it goes in "error" (or anti-freeze mode,it depends on unit model).
better call a technician,for me.if u are not into this shit,u don't know the tricks

Looks like I'm fucked for tonight. I have too much shit to do all weekend. Won't have time to fuck with it until the morning before some recert stuff and I don't get home until 5..

Get Shredded!
Oh god so my wife turned it on and apparently my neighbor called me at work and heard a big "whoosh" and there's smoke coming from
The unit on the house. Great.

dam bro i herd a lot of great things from you guys some smart ppl for sure . sorry to here this bro heres the deal it might very well be the blower motor ppl often want to just replace it dont wast of money better off getting a new one mid america has a rebate form if you buy one i ve put some goodman ac units and furneses all goodmans and no problems . i tell ppl to change out the filter once a month maybe twice if needed for better air flow i buy the cheap ones to get the better air flow and change them out twice a month i also take out my coil and wash it out it does get dirty and since i know what iam doing thats what i do my house is 13 years old and everything seems to work just fine knock on would i got a brand new lennox elite air conditioner ready to go in when mine goes out got it off a job site roof top unit deff saved a couple grand there but enough about me i hope things arent to bad let us know how things go man i wish i could help more ..

cheapthreads out.......

Appreciate all of ya. I got someone coming out tomorrow at 12.. Shit is too much with work and what not. I'll keep ya posted

Unrelated but we had a squirrel get into the fan outside at a rental we were at.

Sounded like a god dammed Chinook ...that was yummy

75% of ac issues are air flow related. I worked as a HVAC tech for years. I cannot tell you how many times I would remove a 100% blocked air filter that wiped out a motor or froze up a unit. It was beyond common. Solve all air flow problems first then break out the meter and follow the flow of electricity.

I've worked in the field as a tech and also as an installer. I now own my second hvac business. Heavy is absolutely correct. 99% of calls are air flow issues. From dirty ass filters that have never been changed to poorly designed systems (ducting too small or not enough return air). From what you've described what happened to your outdoor unit, it sounds like your compressor burned up if its smoking. Why you're not getting a fan is more than likely from your system icing up and tripping a limit switch so your fan motor doesn't burn up as well unless it already has if your system doesn't have the limit switch. But this is all speculation seeing as how non of us are physically able to diagnose your issue. If you live in my area I would falsely send out one of my guess to check it out for free.

*gladly not falsely.

Back