• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Rotator cuff injury?

liveswole

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Sup bros so two weeks ago afer a chest workout my right rotator cuff has been bothering me ..I can do side and front raises no problem , but benching anything over 225 really puts strain on the area and worse when I do flys..besides ice and ibprofren what would be some helpful tips thanks

I've had rotor cuff problems off and on for years. The only thing that's worked for me has been taking time off or taking it easy, which I know sucks. But if you really fuck it up, you're gonna have to have surgery man and that'll suck worse.

I recently did the same thing! a few months back... its still bothers me from time to time... give it time to heal properly... DO NOT PUSH IT! or it will get worst! I tryed TB 500 peps... its helps alittle. But you still need to give it time to heal!

I am one of the guys who had to have RTC surgery . I tore mine right off the bone 2 yrs ago . A very serious injury . Could be game ending . My advice is to find out what is wrong first and go from there . A visit to a orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sports medicine is best . It's probably not torn from your description . PT will probably be the way to go . Don't do anything to bother it till you know . I would stop flat benching with barbell now . No upright rows either . Most BBers I know stop benching anyway by their mid 30's , just too much stress on those shoulders . Inclines are better . If you drug to make it stop hurting without knowing the problem you could do alot of damage . There are exersizes for the rotator cuff and PT will show you those . They should be done every workout like chest and delts at the beginning . Good luck . Hope this helps . Ice and PT and some time off will probably have you back to your old form .

Listen to Lou. I too had surgery for a full tear of my rotator cuff about 2-1/2 years ago, and now my 'good' shoulder is acting up. A good therapist can pinpoint imbalances and prescribe exercises to offset them. Like Lou said the key is to find the cause, not just treat the symptoms. It may be you will need to quit flat benching. I find incline is more comfortable for me, but it might not be for you. You need to find your own groove. Sounds to me like you have developed some tendinitis, which if left unchecked can turn into something a lot more serious.

Listen to Lou. I too had surgery for a full tear of my rotator cuff about 2-1/2 years ago, and now my 'good' shoulder is acting up. A good therapist can pinpoint imbalances and prescribe exercises to offset them. Like Lou said the key is to find the cause, not just treat the symptoms. It may be you will need to quit flat benching. I find incline is more comfortable for me, but it might not be for you. You need to find your own groove. Sounds to me like you have developed some tendinitis, which if left unchecked can turn into something a lot more serious.

I was the opposite when I hurt my rotator cuff about 5 years ago. Couldn't do inclined anything. My shoulder couldn't handle it. Could only do flat dumbbell.

PT plus periodic electro therapy from my chiro keeps it good though. I also do rotator exercises before any push day. Still flares up time to time if there's a lot of pressure on it

Had surgery on my left shoulder due to a car wreck 4 years ago. I didn't start lifting seriously until 2 years ago. I am 44 now. All bench is ok for me. I don't press more than 275 and medium grip. Wide grip bench and front and side lateral raises hurt me. As soon as I my shoulders start to hurt I just take a week off of upper body. I guess my advise is just listen to your body man. Good luck

hey liveswell, sorry to hear about ur injury. we all go through it and it will happen again if ur a bencher.
my max was 405 with a pause at the bottom, n yes both my shoulders r fucked up. i havent really benched at all the past yr. my shoulders r just getting right.
benching puts a lot of posterior rotation on ur shoulders, n can lead to rot cuff (rc) issues. the best thing is rest n strengthening ur rc when u come back. dont over due it, if u do, it will feel like ur shoulders r going to fall off while ur trying to sleep.
if u have to bench, try pulling ur shoulder blades together n tucking ur elbows. this helps to u use ur back to stabilize n doesnt put all the pressure on ur shoulders.
as far as flys, u can just c that it puts all the pressure on ur shoulders, thus rc.
if u have to bench, try the hammer, so u can practice the technique mentioned.
but dont take my word for it, do some of your own research.
what the hell do i know, i got 2 bum shoulders and dont bench anymore, lol
good luck bro

Back