• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

German Volume Training

GSRacer

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
German Volume Training
An introduction, by GSRacer

Whenever my regular routine stops making my muscles sore, and my gains start to level off, I have never found a better routine than German Volume Training to break past this plateau. German Volume Training focuses on a high number to sets on one specific exercise, with the number of reps staying around 10 for every set. This routine is probably not the best if you are looking for muscular definition, but it will certainly help you put on mass.

The goal is to do 1-2 exercises per workout, and the weight stays constant, and you shoot for 10 reps on EVERY set. Just be prepared to: do 3-4 workouts per week, be at the gym for ~2 hrs. per workout, and to be very, very sore. I highly recommend bringing a whey protein shake and a banana (or other fruit of choice) with you to each workout if you venture down this road. This workout should not be something you do as a beginning lifter. I did not incorporate this until having lifted regularly for 6 years.

Here is what a typical GVT rotation looks like for me:

Day 1: Chest

Flat Bench @ 205 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set (although I am usually around 7 by the last set, and this is OK - this applies to all exercises for all muscle groups)
Incline Dumbbell Press @ 80 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set

Day 2: Back

Free-weight T-bar row @ 160 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set
Bent over Barbell rows @ 185 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set

Day 3: Legs (this is by far the hardest and longest day)

Squats @ 275 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set
Barbell Lunges @ 135 lbs - 10 sets, 10 reps

Day 4: Shoulders

Standing overhead barbell press @ 125 lbs - 10 sets, 10 reps/set
Lateral raises @40 lbs/dumbell - 10 sets, 10 reps/set

*Note that if you aren't quite ready to take on 20 sets/workout, you can also do one exercise per workout (10 sets), and if proper weight and technique are used, the results can be excellent.

If you can do this for 3-4 weeks, and then return to your normal routine, you will smash through any plateau you have hit, and the mass will pile on. Results are greatly enhanced by eating like a 400lb fat man, sleeping 10 hrs/night, and not partying.

For more info on GVT, and how my personal preferences differ from others, check out:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...le-growth.html

http://germanvolumetraining.info/

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/tr...k-so-well.html

http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/3...olume-training

GSRacer

Last edited by a moderator:
I did GVT a few years back but didn't have the time to dedicate myself to it. After reading your post and the sites I might give it a go. I usually have my own go to routine but it's always good to switch it up. Thanks

Ive wanted to try this or something like it for years . I have a few questions . Do you do warmup sets ? How much of your full weight sets are you using ? for instance on dumbell for chest I start with lets say 60's and work up to 105's or 110's for 8 to 10 reps . so what kinda weight should I be using ? And another question . NO DEADLIFTS ????

Hey bro. I do not do any "warm up" sets per se, because if you are doing 10 reps on every set with the same weight, that first set you do, the 10 reps is not really pushing it all that hard. Does that make sense? I typically shoot for a weight at which I would be able to do ~15 reps if I were just doing one set, that way, when I'm on set 10, I can still manage to push it 7 or 8 times.

Of course I do deads brother! The above routine was just an example week. There are other exercises that I rotate in.

Yea that makes alot of sense as far as warmups ,,, And I cant imagine not doing deadlifts lol. I only started doing them bout 2 years ago . I got a very late start on them cause I could never do them right so I figured I just wont do em . But shit Bro now that I do them correctly there is nothing more I look foward to . How should I figure those in with the GVT do ya think ?

Ps - Oh so you rotate exercises in this training routine ? You dont do the same exercises for the lenght of the workout cycle ?

Can I do 3 exercises for back, or would that just defeat the whole thing. I like the whole routine you have posted but just would like to add the deads on top of the 2 exercises you have listed.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 is too many for 1 GVT workout IMO. You would be in the gym for 3 hours, and you probably would over-train whatever muscle you are working on. Just do T-bar and deads, or rows and deads. Honestly, many people only do 1 exercise per workout.

I love to use gvt to mix things up. I do my own customized version but I follow the principle of gvt.

Think this would be good to throw in to a persons usual routine? Like if Im doing back today, think itd be okay to do this for back day and shoulder day only, and my normal routine the other days? For some reason Its hard for me to feel a really good pump or soreness in my back, no where else is a problem though.

That's a lot of volume for shoulders (and chest kind of), but the back I did more than that regularly. :shrug:

Cool concept though, I do find that volume is great for growth, even with 'modest' weights.

IML Gear Cream!
i remember just using gvt for my back and doing 10 sets of chins

back was looking nice! i gotta get back to that

Wow I just tried some gvt for the first time today. I lowered the amount of weights I normally do to 200lbs on the flat bench. Set 7 the 5th rep got stuck and I had to roll the bar down to my hip. Guess I need to try again going lighter. The rest of my work out I had jello arms.

You have to start at what sometimes feels like too light a weight in order to still be pushing at least 8-9 reps on that 10th set. Thanks for bumping a great thread, dude. It's ironic, because I've had some fucked up shit go down with my family lately, and my schedule bus all out if whack. I just woke up a few minutes ago and was like "I think it's time for some food old GVT squats". Haha.

You have to start at what sometimes feels like too light a weight in order to still be pushing at least 8-9 reps on that 10th set. Thanks for bumping a great thread, dude. It's ironic, because I've had some fucked up shit go down with my family lately, and my schedule bus all out if whack. I just woke up a few minutes ago and was like "I think it's time for some food old GVT squats". Haha.

OK my last attempt at gvt was short lived (week). I was using to much weight and not even getting 7 or 8 sets. After reading up on it some more I dropped the weights down to 50% of max. I had to get over the feeling that this feels way to light. Paused 60 seconds between each set of 10. By the 5th set I was feeling the burn. By the 7th I was burning like hell. Reps 7-10 of set 10 i had to take several deep breaths between each rep to finish. Haven't had a pump like this in a while. My muscles haven't been this tore down in a long time. I just started this week and I'm dreading legs Friday. Thanks for the coaching gsracer.

OK its the day after gvt and I'm pretty sore. I got started late in the week due to work and family. So this week I'm doing push, pull, and legs. Last night I did flat bench and incline dumbbells. For shoulders I did seated dumbbell press and standing military presses. For triceps I did unweighted dips and skull crushers. My triceps were so burnt out at this point I barely finished dips. The skull crushers got dangerous on about set 5 so I finished with dumbbell kicks. I love it. Its a good kinda pain. Gonna see if I can make it on a six week run of this. Still dreading leg day. I hope I'll be able to walk out of the gym. Lol.

German Volume Training
An introduction, by GSRacer

Whenever my regular routine stops making my muscles sore, and my gains start to level off, I have never found a better routine than German Volume Training to break past this plateau. German Volume Training focuses on a high number to sets on one specific exercise, with the number of reps staying around 10 for every set. This routine is probably not the best if you are looking for muscular definition, but it will certainly help you put on mass.

The goal is to do 1-2 exercises per workout, and the weight stays constant, and you shoot for 10 reps on EVERY set. Just be prepared to: do 3-4 workouts per week, be at the gym for ~2 hrs. per workout, and to be very, very sore. I highly recommend bringing a whey protein shake and a banana (or other fruit of choice) with you to each workout if you venture down this road. This workout should not be something you do as a beginning lifter. I did not incorporate this until having lifted regularly for 6 years.

Here is what a typical GVT rotation looks like for me:

Day 1: Chest

Flat Bench @ 205 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set (although I am usually around 7 by the last set, and this is OK - this applies to all exercises for all muscle groups)
Incline Dumbbell Press @ 80 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set

Day 2: Back

Free-weight T-bar row @ 160 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set
Bent over Barbell rows @ 185 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set

Day 3: Legs (this is by far the hardest and longest day)

Squats @ 275 lbs. - 10 sets, 10 reps/set
Barbell Lunges @ 135 lbs - 10 sets, 10 reps

Day 4: Shoulders

Standing overhead barbell press @ 125 lbs - 10 sets, 10 reps/set
Lateral raises @40 lbs/dumbell - 10 sets, 10 reps/set

*Note that if you aren't quite ready to take on 20 sets/workout, you can also do one exercise per workout (10 sets), and if proper weight and technique are used, the results can be excellent.

If you can do this for 3-4 weeks, and then return to your normal routine, you will smash through any plateau you have hit, and the mass will pile on. Results are greatly enhanced by eating like a 400lb fat man, sleeping 10 hrs/night, and not partying.

For more info on GVT, and how my personal preferences differ from others, check out:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...le-growth.html

http://germanvolumetraining.info/

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/tr...k-so-well.html

http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/3...olume-training

GSRacer

Trying this starting monday, exactly what Ive been looking for.

2nd day. Did bent over bar bell rows. Went to heavy and couldn't finish the 8th set. Dropped 10lbs and finished. Tried pull ups but by the fifth set it was obvious I wasn't going to be able to do 10 sets of 10. I finished those with cable pull downs. Did 5 sets of 20 shrugs. Did 10 sets of 10 on barbell curl. Again went to heavy and had to drop some weight to finish. Also did planks, started at 2 minutes and dropped 15 seconds each new set. 100 leg lifts and 100 crunches. Already sore can't wait till I wake up to see what hurts the worse. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing so any pointers will be appreciated. So far I'm loving it.

Legs tonight. On the 7th set of squats I was in so much pain I just wanted to quit. I got to 5th rep of 10th set somehow. Barbell lunges were embarrassing. I was already shot at this point and was barely making it with 25 pounders. After calf raises I laid down on a bench for 10 minutes before I felt like getting up and leaving. I'm glad no one else was at the gym to see me crying. Lol.

Think maybe you are overdoing it? Usually it's just 1, maybe 2exercises / day. 10 sets should take about 20 mins, and you are under a load for 5 of that. I have been doing FST 7 for a month, and that 7th set is stoooopid!

Get Shredded!
Thanks HTF. I was trying to follow the example laid out by gsracer. Other stuff I read said only do one exercise per muscle. The main reason I posted here was hoping someone would point out any mistakes as I'm still new to gvt. I guess I should have started a new thread. I'll see how it goes next week. My work will be sending me out of town so hopefully I'll find a good gym.

On my second week of your routine. Lovin the routine. Crazy sore! I'm gonna do this for the rest of the month then go back to my push pull and see what I can do. Thanks gsracer

Going to do GVT for the first 5 weeks of my cycle. 50mg Adrol/50mg Dbol ED, 750mg test-E EW. Will also be doing GOMAD. I'm very ready for gains.

AS long as my joints hold up I m planning on adding this to the rotation right before the spring cut? Is that timing appropriate or should I look to something else.

i use to do this all the time and didn't even know i was doing GVT i was like 16 tp 18 before i mixed up alot of different things i got so use to it i wasn't even sore any ore . But I cant wait to get back to this for a month or 2 it's been prob 5 years since i've done this routine

What's up gents! Glad you all have been enjoying some gvt. Do 3-4 days max per week though! I always burn out fast and make it for another 2-3 weeks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Thanks gsr. Just finished week 4 of gvt. Good gains all around but most notable is the legs. Talking about some pain at the gym. I would have to set down and recover for 15 min just to be able to walk to the car. Legs noticeably bigger, new veins, and rock hard.

Thanks gsr. Just finished week 4 of gvt. Good gains all around but most notable is the legs. Talking about some pain at the gym. I would have to set down and recover for 15 min just to be able to walk to the car. Legs noticeably bigger, new veins, and rock hard.

Awesome. Im stoked to hear about the leg progress. I'm in ski season prep now so legs get blasted 2x/week. I have maybe 1 or 2 days where I can walk normally;)

BTW, its always good to hear from ya gsr. Hope everything is going good for you.

Thanks man. Yeah things are good just busier than I have ever been. You? I'm going to catch up with as this weekend, maybe spam some pub med articles and act like I know what I'm talking about....lol.

Back