• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Training for Hypertrophy

redandrose

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Which training style has yielded the most benefits in terms of hypertrophy for you? In terms of volume (sets per body part), intensity/weight, and frequency (how often you train a body part. There are so many differences in training philosophy out there from:

• Serge Nubret: VERY HIGH volume & VERY HIGH frequency & moderate weight
  • Dave Palumbo: MEDIUM volume & LOW frequency & Heavy weight
  • Dorian Yates: LOW volume & MEDIUM frequency & Heavy weight

Than you got guys like Ronnie who train twice a week, several sets and extremely heavy. I am very curious as to what style you guys have found to be most effective.

I am probably unorthodox ... High Volume, High Frequency ... I lift 7 days a week at 45 min a session. 1-2 days a week, I'll workout twice in a day (depending on how I'm recovering). My weights are about 1/3 of my max and I focus on the eccentric phase with time-under-tension. I gather it works best for me due my body-type, CNS, and muscle fibers, so I think we all have to experiment to find out what works best. If I go heavy in low or medium frequency, I do not grow as much and my joints can't take it either.

Honestly I stick with a program and then switch when I start getting bored. It’s the honest truth. I’ve used and had great success with fortitude, DC, PPL and still even live switching back to hitting body parts once every 5 days just with a lot of volume. There’s just so many variables that play into this for each person which is why it’s a very individualistic answer. Another huge part is weather I have a training partner at the time that’s can compete and push each other .

I still have to find my way :(
when I grow up, I'll let you know

Lmao Phil! We all know how you do it....Horsemeat!!

Max

I am probably unorthodox ... High Volume, High Frequency ... I lift 7 days a week at 45 min a session. 1-2 days a week, I'll workout twice in a day (depending on how I'm recovering). My weights are about 1/3 of my max and I focus on the eccentric phase with time-under-tension. I gather it works best for me due my body-type, CNS, and muscle fibers, so I think we all have to experiment to find out what works best. If I go heavy in low or medium frequency, I do not grow as much and my joints can't take it either.

Volume and frequency seems to be the consensus from most people I hear. There are still guys who swear by heavy weights though. I am starting to think as long as you get a good contraction and break down the muscle than you will grow.

There are serveral ways to get the results................all will get you there..Heavy has it's place...........but as you get older,the risk of injury increases,that's the cold truth.....younger I pushed heavy,thought it was the only way.......I was wrong.....today I do high volume low to moderate weight 10x10 and I love the results..........I gain size and lower the risk of injury..I still push heavy just not as much and I do it wisely!!.......Each compound group gets heavy 1 a month.............each body part worked 2x in a 10 day run( not 7)......I use drop sets a lot along with SSets...........got to keep the muscles guessing...........Find what works for you ....then tweek it..!!

My biggest/fastest changes were within days after I upped the intensity, not the frequency or duration

I’m a believer that you can train in any rep range you really want to. As long as you’re not sacrificing intensity. You should be reaching failure or beyond failure regularly even if your doing 20+ reps. Especially if you’re doing 20+ reps. Intensity is king and should be considered first. Frequency and volume should be adjusted to allow for the most intensity possible. As often as possible.

Another thing that factors in is, what do you enjoy doing in the gym? Because I believe if you’re in the gym having fun and really “feeling it” then you’re going to push it a lot harder. But if your in there just hating your routine then you’re not likely to push it as hard.

Unless you're genetically gifted, low volume, high intensity, higher frequency.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

IML Gear Cream!
I like a moderate volume with a mix of high rep sets and low rep strength work in each workout for hypertrophy. Similar to John meadows training

Back