• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Steroid use gave me sleep apnea!!!

A.font401

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Anyone else develop sleep apnea due to gear use? I was perfectly fine my whole life, didn’t even snore till I was around 2yrs in with using gear. Maybe it was the amount of weight I put on coming from 120lbs soaking wet with bricks tied to my feet? It was loud snoring at first then the holding my breath came and it was bad. I would wake up gasping for air in the middle of the night and didn’t do anything about it for another 2yrs.
Finally my girl made me go for a sleep study where they told me just how bad my sleep apnea was and how people can actually die from it. Not to mention a guy i work with dad just passed away last week from sleep apnea, so anyone that thinks you can’t die from it your wrong.
I’ve had my cpap machine around a year now and what a difference has it made in my sleep and over all well being day to day! I absolutely hate sleeping with the damn mask on, I have a full face jet fighter mask lol. But I’ll tell you what this machine comes everywhere I do now if I’m sleeping there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleep apnea is mostly related to bodyweight and neck size

It’s most likely the extra weight you out on ... when I was 215 I snored like a grizzly bear ... my SO recorded me and I was floored how obnoxious I was now ar 195 I don’t snore at all .. thank god

Hypothyroid people do not make enough carbon dioxide (CO2), and so they are in a chronic state of hyperventilation-hypocapnia.

The loss of energy production (co2) causes one to hyperventilate more = mouth breathe.

Mouth breathing causes and increased loss of co2. Less co2 means less oxygen to the brain, tissues, lungs and cells.

Sleep apnea, where people stop breathing and actually retain too much co2, I believe is an adaptive mechanism for low thyroid function, energy production and mouth breathing.

I don't know if I can blame the gear as much as genetics and genetics lol. Genetic predisposition to apnea and genetically thick neck lol.

No doubt the gear and putting on size through my chest and delts makes it worse too though.

I'm on a CPAP now. Dreamstation with the humidifier. It's made my quality of life way better. When I had the flu the other day my AHI went all the way up to 18 with the CPAP on. I probably would've died in my sleep had I not had it lol

I’m 190lbs with a 17.5in neck and I’m only 5ft 7! My machine starts nice and easy at 6.7 and can go as high as 27.2 it shows! I’ve waken up to it coming down from the mid 20’s when I remember to check it.
I snore so loud without this thing I wake up with a sore throat it’s terrible!! If I don’t have my machine and I go out drinking, even if I’m buzzed not fully drunk it’s so much worse too.

I have the resmed with the humidifier. The app I wish told more info but I guess it covers the basics you need to know. Wish it told you how high it had to go.

4f66d449386676a85a0cb8179ff21f0c.jpg

Steroid usage can increase swelling and the size of adenoid tissue which can result in more snoring and in higher levels (and more consistent usage) sleep apnea.

At 264 pounds with an almost 20 inch neck I snored like a fucking freight train and had horrible sleep apnea. At around 235 it’s much less

At 264 pounds with an almost 20 inch neck I snored like a fucking freight train and had horrible sleep apnea. At around 235 it’s much less

You don’t have a cpap?

IML Gear Cream!
When I was sitting around 160lbs I was still completely fine. What did me in was hitting 180-185lbs and holding that weight for a bit. That’s when the breathing and sleep went downhill.

I’m 190lbs with a 17.5in neck and I’m only 5ft 7! My machine starts nice and easy at 6.7 and can go as high as 27.2 it shows! I’ve waken up to it coming down from the mid 20’s when I remember to check it.
I snore so loud without this thing I wake up with a sore throat it’s terrible!! If I don’t have my machine and I go out drinking, even if I’m buzzed not fully drunk it’s so much worse too.

17.5"!! Fuck I remember those days haha. I'm just over 18.5" right now at 5'7" and 192. It's stupid. That's definitely you're problem dude.

Mine starts at 8.5 right now and I get up into the low 20's sometimes. I usually stay around 18 as the high. If I can manage to stay on my side (which is fucking annoying to sleep on my left side when the machine is on my right) it stays below 16.

The Phillips Respironics app is way better than that one. It shows your leaks in the night, % of leaks, large leaks, apnea index and number of apneas/hypopneas, and pressure time data. Pretty interesting
f236592f8c3d33566f8dd684e05d30d4.jpg

Fuck I bet.
You don’t have a cpap?

Fuck that. I suffocate without mine lol
When I was sitting around 160lbs I was still completely fine. What did me in was hitting 180-185lbs and holding that weight for a bit. That’s when the breathing and sleep went downhill.

Yep me too. When I hit 190 still around 14% is where mine went to pot. Now it's terrible. When I was 207 it really sucked

17.5"!! Fuck I remember those days haha. I'm just over 18.5" right now at 5'7" and 192. It's stupid. That's definitely you're problem dude.

Mine starts at 8.5 right now and I get up into the low 20's sometimes. I usually stay around 18 as the high. If I can manage to stay on my side (which is fucking annoying to sleep on my left side when the machine is on my right) it stays below 16.

The Phillips Respironics app is way better than that one. It shows your leaks in the night, % of leaks, large leaks, apnea index and number of apneas/hypopneas, and pressure time data. Pretty interesting
f236592f8c3d33566f8dd684e05d30d4.jpg

Damn I wish mine told me all that info! My machine makes me sleep on my left side. If I roll over I have the hose going across my body and it’s so damn annoying lol
Well I can’t see my neck getting smaller anytime soon so guess I’ll just try and catch up to you!

I’m have a sleep study scheduled. Their probably going to put me on a cpap machine.
I have been avoiding it for years.

I’m have a sleep study scheduled. Their probably going to put me on a cpap machine.
I have been avoiding it for years.

Don’t avoid it! Wait till you see how much better you feel even after your first full night of sleep on the machine it’s incredible!

One thing I didn't see mentioned yet is sleep apnea is climbing the chart to be the #1 cause of heart disease. I have seen multiple 2 cardiologist in the last 7 months who both wanted to smack me up side the head because i dont wear mine regularly. But when i do as everyone has already said complete game changer. Feel so much better after a full night sleep wearing it.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

One thing I didn't see mentioned yet is sleep apnea is climbing the chart to be the #1 cause of heart disease. I have seen multiple 2 cardiologist in the last 7 months who both wanted to smack me up side the head because i dont wear mine regularly. But when i do as everyone has already said complete game changer. Feel so much better after a full night sleep wearing it.

It’s truly crazy how much sleep can actually effect your health. I feel horrible even if I can’t wear my mask 1 night.

I probably need to get a machine , if I fall asleep in my recliner I will wake up from choking and be sweaty and the wife says that I will stop breathing at night .

Get Shredded!
I probably need to get a machine , if I fall asleep in my recliner I will wake up from choking and be sweaty and the wife says that I will stop breathing at night .

I’d get checked ASAP man. It’s a lot more serious than people think. Effects your health more that you know. I felt like a new person after the first week I used my machine. Better mood, more energy, not falling asleep on my drive home from work.

Lmao yes you do, and youll feel much better after getting it.

I’d get checked ASAP man. It’s a lot more serious than people think. Effects your health more that you know. I felt like a new person after the first week I used my machine. Better mood, more energy, not falling asleep on my drive home from work.

My O2 dropped to high 70s and low 80s during my sleep study. Anything in low 70s and 60s you body starts shutting down. Over a prolonged period organ and brain function start deteriorating. So not only feeling better daily but long term health.

My O2 dropped to high 70s and low 80s during my sleep study. Anything in low 70s and 60s you body starts shutting down. Over a prolonged period organ and brain function start deteriorating. So not only feeling better daily but long term health.

What mask do you have? The full face one took me alittle to get used to.

What mask do you have? The full face one took me alittle to get used to.

I started with nose only but switched to full face mask. It did take awhile to get used to it and when i get a sinus infection (which happens to often) i stop wearing it starting the cycle over.

SLEEP APNEA....I have it BAAAAD and have been dealing with it for years. I did a sleep study, and they told me that I stopped breathing 57 times in one hour!!!! A buddy of mine took a flight with me back in 2008 to Illinois to a drag strip there to watch their annual Wheel stander championship in Byron, ILL. Every year they pay the guy who does the longest wheelstand with his car $20K and it's at the end of the drag racing season, so the contestants are willing and motivated to risk their drag cars and their safety in an effort to win that cash prize by doing the longest wheelie, (cool show). The winner did a 480 foot long wheelie with his 69 Camaro, and then suffered a mild heart attack when he went up to the tower to collect his $20K cash prize, and had to get oxygen LOL. After our flight there, my buddy booked us two rooms, (he has this homophobe thing about not sharing a room with another guy even when there are two beds in the room).

Good thing for him that he chose to have his own room, because he said that I snored so loud, that he could hear me all night through the wall!!! That's when I began to suspect the reason why I'm always so tired and need sleep is/was due to sleep apnea. I got a CPAP and tried to use it again and again, but I just cannot sleep with that thing on my face. So I'm screwed. And yeah, I have an 18 1/2" neck@5' 8" tall. I wake up gasping for air too, as if though I was being held under water. But it isn't quite as bad since I got an operation last summer. The surgeon corrected my deviated spetum, (which wasn't the cause of my sleep apnea, but it WAS adding to the problem since I wasn't be able to breath through my nose as soon as I laid down).

He also opened up something called the "turbonators" in my nose, and cut off the uvula, (that punching bag that hangs down at the from te top of the roof of your mouth in the rear where your throat begins) which often partially blocks the throat while you sleep as you grow older. It was a $21K bill for all three procedures which were all done at once, and my medical insurance paid most of it, and left me with a $1,500 bill to pay the hospital. The surgery has helped somewhat, but I still cannot sleep on my back since my breathing will stop, as was the case for most of my adult life.

I'm 58 yrs old, and between my old age and the sleep apnea, I believe it really holds back my BBing progress even though I use gear. But there's nothing more I can do about it. I'm a light sleeper, and I just cannot stay asleep for more than one hour, with that thing strapped to my face. It sucks. I believe the main cause for sleep apnea is the muscles in the throat begin to get weaker as you grow older and are past your prime@25yrs old, and your weak throat muscles allow your throat to collapse while you're completely relaxed during sleep. So air passing through your throat becomes like an effort of trying to get water t pass through a collapsed straw. And there's no exercise that I know of which can strenghten those throat muscles. It's just the reality of growing old. the CPAP pushes pressurized air through that area in your throat to keep it open while you sleep.

Last edited:
oh BTW, so that none of you homos here get the wrong idea from the above story, MY WIFE tells me that since my surgery, I snore a lot less, and less often, but now I often sound like Darth Vader while I'm sleeping. LOL

SLEEP APNEA....I have it BAAAAD and have been dealing with it for years. I did a sleep study, and they told me that I stopped breathing 57 times in one hour!!!! A buddy of mine took a flight with me back in 2008 to Illinois to a drag strip there to watch their annual Wheel stander championship in Byron, ILL. Every year they pay the guy who does the longest wheelstand with his car $20K and it's at the end of the drag racing season, so the contestants are willing and motivated to risk their drag cars and their safety in an effort to win that cash prize by doing the longest wheelie, (cool show). The winner did a 480 foot long wheelie with his 69 Camaro, and then suffered a mild heart attack when he went up to the tower to collect his $20K cash prize, and had to get oxygen LOL. After our flight there, my buddy booked us two rooms, (he has this homophobe thing about not sharing a room with another guy even when there are two beds in the room).

Good thing for him that he chose to have his own room, because he said that I snored so loud, that he could hear me all night through the wall!!! That's when I began to suspect the reason why I'm always so tired and need sleep is/was due to sleep apnea. I got a CPAP and tried to use it again and again, but I just cannot sleep with that thing on my face. So I'm screwed. And yeah, I have an 18 1/2" neck@5' 8" tall. I wake up gasping for air too, as if though I was being held under water. But it isn't quite as bad since I got an operation last summer. The surgeon corrected my deviated spetum, (which wasn't the cause of my sleep apnea, but it WAS adding to the problem since I wasn't be able to breath through my nose as soon as I laid down).

He also opened up something called the "turbonators" in my nose, and cut off the uvula, (that punching bag that hangs down at the from te top of the roof of your mouth in the rear where your throat begins) which often partially blocks the throat while you sleep as you grow older. It was a $21K bill for all three procedures which were all done at once, and my medical insurance paid most of it, and left me with a $1,500 bill to pay the hospital. The surgery has helped somewhat, but I still cannot sleep on my back since my breathing will stop, as was the case for most of my adult life.

I'm 58 yrs old, and between my old age and the sleep apnea, I believe it really holds back my BBing progress even though I use gear. But there's nothing more I can do about it. I'm a light sleeper, and I just cannot stay asleep for more than one hour, with that thing strapped to my face. It sucks. I believe the main cause for sleep apnea is the muscles in the throat begin to get weaker as you grow older and are past your prime@25yrs old, and your weak throat muscles allow your throat to collapse while you're completely relaxed during sleep. So air passing through your throat becomes like an effort of trying to get water t pass through a collapsed straw. And there's no exercise that I know of which can strenghten those throat muscles. It's just the reality of growing old. the CPAP pushes pressurized air through that area in your throat to keep it open while you sleep.

I couldn’t for the life of me get used to sleeping with the full face mask. I finally said fuck it and bought over the counter sleep meds and forced myself to sleep with it bro. Maybe you have to do the same?! I snore so loud like you described my throat will hurt when I wake up just from taking a quick nap without my machine. Sleeping on my back? Forget that I’ll almost choke and die every time man.
You should really try and get used to sleeping with your mask bro it’s insane how much better you’ll feel!

oh BTW, so that none of you homos here get the wrong idea from the above story, MY WIFE tells me that since my surgery, I snore a lot less, and less often, but now I often sound like Darth Vader while I'm sleeping. LOL

Hey man it’s cool you were upset your buddy didn’t want to share a room with you! I’m not here to judge! Lol jk bro!!!

When I read these posts, it’s like I’m reading a script for a cpap commercial you guys have some powerful testimonies, I want to get a sleep study now

Back