Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,025 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
    Iím have a sleep study scheduled. Their probably going to put me on a cpap machine.
    I have been avoiding it for years.
    Donít avoid it! Wait till you see how much better you feel even after your first full night of sleep on the machine itís incredible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Rep Points

One thing I didn't see mentioned yet is sleep apnea is climbing the chart to be the #1 cause of heart disease. I have seen multiple 2 cardiologist in the last 7 months who both wanted to smack me up side the head because i dont wear mine regularly. But when i do as everyone has already said complete game changer. Feel so much better after a full night sleep wearing it.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,025 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconeSack View Post
    One thing I didn't see mentioned yet is sleep apnea is climbing the chart to be the #1 cause of heart disease. I have seen multiple 2 cardiologist in the last 7 months who both wanted to smack me up side the head because i dont wear mine regularly. But when i do as everyone has already said complete game changer. Feel so much better after a full night sleep wearing it.

Itís truly crazy how much sleep can actually effect your health. I feel horrible even if I canít wear my mask 1 night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by heavyhitter View Post
    Sleep apnea is mostly related to bodyweight and neck size
    This.

Super duper mod

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,184 Posts
    Rep Points

I probably need to get a machine , if I fall asleep in my recliner I will wake up from choking and be sweaty and the wife says that I will stop breathing at night .

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,025 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by frank zazz View Post
    I probably need to get a machine , if I fall asleep in my recliner I will wake up from choking and be sweaty and the wife says that I will stop breathing at night .
    Iíd get checked ASAP man. Itís a lot more serious than people think. Effects your health more that you know. I felt like a new person after the first week I used my machine. Better mood, more energy, not falling asleep on my drive home from work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by frank zazz View Post
    Lmao yes you do, and youll feel much better after getting it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by A.font401 View Post
    Iíd get checked ASAP man. Itís a lot more serious than people think. Effects your health more that you know. I felt like a new person after the first week I used my machine. Better mood, more energy, not falling asleep on my drive home from work.

My O2 dropped to high 70s and low 80s during my sleep study. Anything in low 70s and 60s you body starts shutting down. Over a prolonged period organ and brain function start deteriorating. So not only feeling better daily but long term health.

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,025 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconeSack View Post
    My O2 dropped to high 70s and low 80s during my sleep study. Anything in low 70s and 60s you body starts shutting down. Over a prolonged period organ and brain function start deteriorating. So not only feeling better daily but long term health.

What mask do you have? The full face one took me alittle to get used to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by A.font401 View Post
    What mask do you have? The full face one took me alittle to get used to.

I started with nose only but switched to full face mask. It did take awhile to get used to it and when i get a sinus infection (which happens to often) i stop wearing it starting the cycle over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    608 Posts
    Rep Points

SLEEP APNEA....I have it BAAAAD and have been dealing with it for years. I did a sleep study, and they told me that I stopped breathing 57 times in one hour!!!! A buddy of mine took a flight with me back in 2008 to Illinois to a drag strip there to watch their annual Wheel stander championship in Byron, ILL. Every year they pay the guy who does the longest wheelstand with his car $20K and it's at the end of the drag racing season, so the contestants are willing and motivated to risk their drag cars and their safety in an effort to win that cash prize by doing the longest wheelie, (cool show). The winner did a 480 foot long wheelie with his 69 Camaro, and then suffered a mild heart attack when he went up to the tower to collect his $20K cash prize, and had to get oxygen LOL. After our flight there, my buddy booked us two rooms, (he has this homophobe thing about not sharing a room with another guy even when there are two beds in the room).

Good thing for him that he chose to have his own room, because he said that I snored so loud, that he could hear me all night through the wall!!! That's when I began to suspect the reason why I'm always so tired and need sleep is/was due to sleep apnea. I got a CPAP and tried to use it again and again, but I just cannot sleep with that thing on my face. So I'm screwed. And yeah, I have an 18 1/2" neck@5' 8" tall. I wake up gasping for air too, as if though I was being held under water. But it isn't quite as bad since I got an operation last summer. The surgeon corrected my deviated spetum, (which wasn't the cause of my sleep apnea, but it WAS adding to the problem since I wasn't be able to breath through my nose as soon as I laid down).

He also opened up something called the "turbonators" in my nose, and cut off the uvula, (that punching bag that hangs down at the from te top of the roof of your mouth in the rear where your throat begins) which often partially blocks the throat while you sleep as you grow older. It was a $21K bill for all three procedures which were all done at once, and my medical insurance paid most of it, and left me with a $1,500 bill to pay the hospital. The surgery has helped somewhat, but I still cannot sleep on my back since my breathing will stop, as was the case for most of my adult life.

I'm 58 yrs old, and between my old age and the sleep apnea, I believe it really holds back my BBing progress even though I use gear. But there's nothing more I can do about it. I'm a light sleeper, and I just cannot stay asleep for more than one hour, with that thing strapped to my face. It sucks. I believe the main cause for sleep apnea is the muscles in the throat begin to get weaker as you grow older and are past your prime@25yrs old, and your weak throat muscles allow your throat to collapse while you're completely relaxed during sleep. So air passing through your throat becomes like an effort of trying to get water t pass through a collapsed straw. And there's no exercise that I know of which can strenghten those throat muscles. It's just the reality of growing old. the CPAP pushes pressurized air through that area in your throat to keep it open while you sleep.
    Last edited by Tall Deck; 02-18-2020 at 04:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    608 Posts
    Rep Points

oh BTW, so that none of you homos here get the wrong idea from the above story, MY WIFE tells me that since my surgery, I snore a lot less, and less often, but now I often sound like Darth Vader while I'm sleeping. LOL

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,025 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Deck View Post
    SLEEP APNEA....I have it BAAAAD and have been dealing with it for years. I did a sleep study, and they told me that I stopped breathing 57 times in one hour!!!! A buddy of mine took a flight with me back in 2008 to Illinois to a drag strip there to watch their annual Wheel stander championship in Byron, ILL. Every year they pay the guy who does the longest wheelstand with his car $20K and it's at the end of the drag racing season, so the contestants are willing and motivated to risk their drag cars and their safety in an effort to win that cash prize by doing the longest wheelie, (cool show). The winner did a 480 foot long wheelie with his 69 Camaro, and then suffered a mild heart attack when he went up to the tower to collect his $20K cash prize, and had to get oxygen LOL. After our flight there, my buddy booked us two rooms, (he has this homophobe thing about not sharing a room with another guy even when there are two beds in the room).

Good thing for him that he chose to have his own room, because he said that I snored so loud, that he could hear me all night through the wall!!! That's when I began to suspect the reason why I'm always so tired and need sleep is/was due to sleep apnea. I got a CPAP and tried to use it again and again, but I just cannot sleep with that thing on my face. So I'm screwed. And yeah, I have an 18 1/2" neck@5' 8" tall. I wake up gasping for air too, as if though I was being held under water. But it isn't quite as bad since I got an operation last summer. The surgeon corrected my deviated spetum, (which wasn't the cause of my sleep apnea, but it WAS adding to the problem since I wasn't be able to breath through my nose as soon as I laid down).

He also opened up something called the "turbonators" in my nose, and cut off the uvula, (that punching bag that hangs down at the from te top of the roof of your mouth in the rear where your throat begins) which often partially blocks the throat while you sleep as you grow older. It was a $21K bill for all three procedures which were all done at once, and my medical insurance paid most of it, and left me with a $1,500 bill to pay the hospital. The surgery has helped somewhat, but I still cannot sleep on my back since my breathing will stop, as was the case for most of my adult life.

I'm 58 yrs old, and between my old age and the sleep apnea, I believe it really holds back my BBing progress even though I use gear. But there's nothing more I can do about it. I'm a light sleeper, and I just cannot stay asleep for more than one hour, with that thing strapped to my face. It sucks. I believe the main cause for sleep apnea is the muscles in the throat begin to get weaker as you grow older and are past your prime@25yrs old, and your weak throat muscles allow your throat to collapse while you're completely relaxed during sleep. So air passing through your throat becomes like an effort of trying to get water t pass through a collapsed straw. And there's no exercise that I know of which can strenghten those throat muscles. It's just the reality of growing old. the CPAP pushes pressurized air through that area in your throat to keep it open while you sleep.
    I couldnít for the life of me get used to sleeping with the full face mask. I finally said fuck it and bought over the counter sleep meds and forced myself to sleep with it bro. Maybe you have to do the same?! I snore so loud like you described my throat will hurt when I wake up just from taking a quick nap without my machine. Sleeping on my back? Forget that Iíll almost choke and die every time man.
    You should really try and get used to sleeping with your mask bro itís insane how much better youíll feel!

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,025 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Deck View Post
    oh BTW, so that none of you homos here get the wrong idea from the above story, MY WIFE tells me that since my surgery, I snore a lot less, and less often, but now I often sound like Darth Vader while I'm sleeping. LOL
    Hey man itís cool you were upset your buddy didnít want to share a room with you! Iím not here to judge! Lol jk bro!!!

NO LIMITS.
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,951 Posts
    Rep Points

When I read these posts, itís like Iím reading a script for a cpap commercial you guys have some powerful testimonies, I want to get a sleep study now