• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Is Cardio Essential?

Arnold

🏳‍🌈🏳‍🌈🏳‍🌈🏳‍🌈
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Is Cardio Essential?

Yes... and no. Here's what every smart lifter needs to consider.

Is cardio essential? In a nutshell, yes. Sorry.

Is cardio necessary for a powerlifter to lift a heavy barbell once?
No. But if he'd like to meet his grandkids – or least not be a wheezing sack of soft potatoes by age 40 – then yes.

Is cardio necessary to lose fat?
No. Does it make fat loss faster and easier to maintain? Yes. It also improves insulin sensitivity, which basically allows you to "use" carbs better for things like stimulating protein synthesis and restoring glycogen.

Is cardio necessary to build big muscles?
No. Can a little cardio help you become a better bodybuilder? Yes, via improved capillary density and venous return, higher work capacity, better/faster recovery, etc. And you won't gas out during long time under tension training, supersets, drop sets, or other tiring hypertrophy training methods.

Do you need a lot of cardio?
The good news is that it doesn't take much. For the slow stuff, try two sessions per week, 65-70% of max heart rate or 120-140 BPM, for 20 minutes. Throw in a CrossFit-style workout every once in a while. Shorter-duration HIIT and longer-duration cardio have unique heart health benefits, so you need a blend.

Do YOU Need Cardio?
Here's a popular test I came up with a while back:

Run one mile on the treadmill with the speed set at 6 miles per hour. Don't try to go faster; the idea is to be able to SUSTAIN this pace.

That'll take you exactly 10 minutes and it should be pretty easy. If it's not, you need cardio... or you're just too fat. Either way, you've learned something.

Here's another way to know. Let's say you're doing a classic drop set on the leg press: you do 8-10 reps and your partner takes off a couple of plates when you reach failure or close to it. After a couple of drops, what gives out first – your legs or your ability to breathe?

If your legs have a few more reps in them but you just can't suck in enough air, then you need some cardio.

Cardio is everything in my book. If I cant be quick I dont want to be 225

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Fasted cardio in the morning is what i have found essential for me!! mentally and physically

All cardio is good cardio. Unless I am not getting paid! Lol

Max

Cardio is definitely essential to sustained health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm gaining muscle then no cardio. I learned the hard way cardio retards hypertrophy. I save cardio for the short bursts I burn fat to get back to 7% BF, then 10 months out of the year, I only walk my dogs...cardio is great if you plan on doing it till your knee caps give out...I prefer to move like gravity.

IML Gear Cream!
F cardio. On my first Tren cycle and I get winded getting out of bed. Lol

Yes it is but it doesn’t have to be a cardio machine at the gym to benefit you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate it but I do it, I’m an old guy almost 50 I think it’s super important for your heart and cardiovascular system.

Good cardio imo. We work our ass off to make it look right. I feel it also needs to act right. If its all show and no go it’s worthless. I wanna stay up and keep goin. It’s gotta look right and act right.

Cardio is necessary for some and not others, figure it out.

If you can get under a barbell and do 60% of your max for clean reps for a set of 20 and go and do a mixture of jogging/running for 2-3 miles you likely don't need to do any more cardio than hard workouts.

if a set of 20 on the squats sounds like hell and you can't do a mile then you probably need to do your cardiovascular system some favors and hit the pavement, grass, or sand for some distance.

Back