Preventing/reversing shoulder problems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    607 Posts
    Rep Points

Preventing/reversing shoulder problems

Here are two stretches, and two lightweight exercises taken from the out of print book titled: The 7-Minute Rotator Cuff Solution" This book was written by a doctor, and this has helped me a lot over the years, and prevented me from having to get surgery on my left shoulder. My shoulder was in a lot of pain for 9 months straight and wouldn't heal no matter how much I rested it, until I began doing these two stretches and two simple lightweight exercises, (one of them being the Lying L-fly) and within two weeks performing the stretches daily, and the two exercises every other day, my shoulder pain was gone for good. There's also some exercises this book tells you to stay away from, which include dumbell pull-overs, barbell upright rows, front dumbell Laterals, and the butterfly stroke in the swimming pool. All these exercise eventuall will cause shoulder "impingement"

These two recommended exercise will work the smaller less known mucles that are located underneath the deltoids.... (sorry some of these pics are a little out of focus, but you can make them out ok)....

Stretches, hold for 30 seconds once daily....( I do these holding a door jamb)....the exersise with the dumbell is called Lying L-Flys and all you'll need is about a 10 or 15 lb dumbell
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tall Deck; 01-06-2020 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    607 Posts
    Rep Points

Here's the second exercise, also done with very light weight....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Omnipresent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Rep Points

Wish I could see the attachments. Id love to try these exercises out. My right shoulder has been giving me problems since June.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    607 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CIVILENG_5 View Post
    Wish I could see the attachments. Id love to try these exercises out. My right shoulder has been giving me problems since June.
    why can't you see them? I can. Maybe it's your phone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Rep Points

I'm just over 6 months post rotator cuff/bicep tendon repair and I have been similar stretch both arms in a doorway the lean forward and the lift you show. The range of motion on the lift is real pretty short. These have been good for my pt but I also started doing my other side since I was having some pain there as well.

Even if this was all a guy did to warm up before upper body workouts he would be helping his shoulder health immensley

Omnipresent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Rep Points

Had to go to full site to view. Thnx for the info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    607 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Doncoyote View Post
    I'm just over 6 months post rotator cuff/bicep tendon repair and I have been similar stretch both arms in a doorway the lean forward and the lift you show. The range of motion on the lift is real pretty short. These have been good for my pt but I also started doing my other side since I was having some pain there as well.

Even if this was all a guy did to warm up before upper body workouts he would be helping his shoulder health immensley
    Yeah, it's best not to wait until you feel pain, but either way, this stuff helps. Especially if you perform the Lying L-flys along with the other straight arm exercise shown in the diagrams. The usual deltoid exercises we do neglect the smaller muscles underneath the Deltiods as well as the tendons. And after years of that, it can create an imbalance in the shoulders which also adds the tendons being weakened and beginning to shrivel up. If you catch it in time, these stretches and the two exercises shown will reverse things, and bring the tendons back. But if you let it go too long, the tendons will get to a point of no return and then you're screwed.
    Last edited by Tall Deck; 01-06-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Rep Points

Thanks for this post. I did follow your posted exercise. Looking for some relief as well in my right shoulder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    607 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyz206 View Post
    Thanks for this post. I did follow your posted exercise. Looking for some relief as well in my right shoulder.
    Good. Give it some time, and don't over-do it by performing the exercises every day, (just the two stretches every day). You should feel some relief in two weeks, ( I know that I did, and so did my co-workers). Every other day for the two exercises has worked best for me. For awhile I went to doing them once every 4th day, and after a few months, the pain in my left shoulder returned, until I went back to once every 48 hours, and then in about ten days the pain subsided once again.

BTW, I happen to be left handed, so the several years I played softball in the outfield postion probably didn't help my overall shoulder health, but I also believe that some of BBing practices in the gym over the years didn't help either. If you don't feel a big difference beginning in 3 weeks, then your shoulder is probably too far gone, and you might even need surgery. But that's just a guess on my part. I do 3 sets of 10 reps for these two exercises and I only use a 10 LB dumbell. that's all it takes. In fact, sometimes I'll just use a 5 LB barbell plate held in my hand for the second straight-arm exercise, ( I do the Lying L-Flys first, bang out three sets for each shoulder with that, wait one minute, then I go to the the straight-arm exercise). These are not for the deltoids which are much stronger muscles than the small lesser-known ones which are undernearth the deltiods, (closer to the shoulder bones). Let me know how you do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Rep Points

I did these exercises with bands for a shoulder impingement from baseball and a week later it went away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Deck View Post
    Here are two stretches, and two lightweight exercises taken from the out of print book titled: The 7-Minute Rotator Cuff Solution" This book was written by a doctor, and this has helped me a lot over the years, and prevented me from having to get surgery on my left shoulder. My shoulder was in a lot of pain for 9 months straight and wouldn't heal no matter how much I rested it, until I began doing these two stretches and two simple lightweight exercises, (one of them being the Lying L-fly) and within two weeks performing the stretches daily, and the two exercises every other day, my shoulder pain was gone for good. There's also some exercises this book tells you to stay away from, which include dumbell pull-overs, barbell upright rows, front dumbell Laterals, and the butterfly stroke in the swimming pool. All these exercise eventuall will cause shoulder "impingement"

These two recommended exercise will work the smaller less known mucles that are located underneath the deltoids.... (sorry some of these pics are a little out of focus, but you can make them out ok)....

Stretches, hold for 30 seconds once daily....( I do these holding a door jamb)....the exersise with the dumbell is called Lying L-Flys and all you'll need is about a 10 or 15 lb dumbell
    Thanks for this, definitely going to be trying it, right shoulder is always a nagging pain, too many years of abuse, nandro helps but definitely doesn't go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Rep Points

Thanks my guys the info was a great help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    607 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ja0690 View Post
    Thanks my guys the info was a great help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're welcome my friend. It isn't a cure-all for every possible shoulder condition, but it sure has helped mine, as well as a few other people I work with. Definitely worth an honest try.